Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Last whimper about my holiday. I was standing in Sainsbury looking at depleted aisles of toilet roll this morning when I realised the plane had just taken off. OH gave me a hug when he realised too and I think people thought we were being emotional about loo roll. 

By the way, if you can avoid it, please don't use the big, well known booking agent. They have been utterly unhelpful and we spent the last 24 hours doing shifts, continuously rephoning when we got cut off. I was on hold for 4 1/2 hrs the previous day and just got cut off. Luckily I made a spreadsheet of every call we made over the last week because I want to complain even though I don't expect them to respond to it. We were able to speak to the airline but they wouldn't deal directly with us because of the booking agent involvement. It's worth knowing. There's much more to this but you'd get bored reading it! 

• Confused 1

On 3/15/2020 at 6:49 AM, The Dogmother said:

Do you reckon this loo roll is big enough?!

Sorry, just had to take a pic for laughs.... it's actually one that I take on my courses for any chicken 'mishaps' 😁

20200314_194237.jpg

I guess it depends how big one's bottom is :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

• Haha 2

The French borders close for either 15 or 30 days (two news channels) from midday. Everyone is to stay at home. If you do go out you must take an 'attestation' (signed government form) which states your reason for being out. If you haven't got this form or it's not a valid reason for being out you get fined €35 rising to €135 after today. Valid reasons are very strict and I haven't got all the details yet, but essentially it's to prevent any human contact wherever possible.

We have a mountain of jobs to do here so no chance of getting bored.

Sorry to hear that Geoid.  Look on the bright side - greater chance for studying so you can nail it later!

Yesterday we were advised that our quilt retreat has been deferred to next March - brilliant, as long as the company doesn't go bust.  Meanwhile the Basingstoke ladies are likely to have a mini retreat at one of the ladies houses.  I'll be staying here.  Apparently 0-69ers are being advised to stay at home.  Everyone else strongly advised to stay at home!  Sooooooooooo lots of sewing and when the weather allows - garden, veg, birds!  In reverse order though! :lol:  They got cleaned out yesterday - in a t-shirt because it was a gorgeous day!  But nest box wars abound and it's blooming cold out there!  

OH made me a lemon drizzle cake and complained that he made it for me and I hadn't touched it!  Oooh such restraint!  But to placate him while he loses weight and mine fluctuates - not surprising with such temptations - I had a sliver off the end.  Oh my - best one ever!  Duck eggs. :drool:

Meanwhile . . . from my daughter . . .

IMG-20200316-WA0005.jpg

44 minutes ago, Beantree said:

The French borders close for either 15 or 30 days (two news channels) from midday. Everyone is to stay at home. If you do go out you must take an 'attestation' (signed government form) which states your reason for being out. If you haven't got this form or it's not a valid reason for being out you get fined €35 rising to €135 after today. Valid reasons are very strict and I haven't got all the details yet, but essentially it's to prevent any human contact wherever possible.

We have a mountain of jobs to do here so no chance of getting bored.

Hi Beantree, the borders are closed for 30 days and we are restricted movement for 15 days with the attestation. The fine is €38 rising to €135 as per the interior ministers website. If you do go out remember to take identification. Take care and stay safe

Have just got home from a war zone! Not having been to a supermarket for 6 weeks due to the hip we have been relying on previous bulk buys and  weekly Tesco deliveries. This morning OH and I decided to go to Lidl then on to Tesco - both very close to each other. This is my usual Thursday afternoon routine and has been for years. We left early, as soon as the boys were on the school bus as OH wanted to get back asap...he works from home and often has conference calls.

Got to Lidl 20 mins after opening time and it was a store of two halves! Some shelves stacked and others bare; we did manage to get an 18 pack of loo roll and restrained ourselves from grabbing another as we didn't want to panic buy. Having stocked up on meat and frozen veg (which we were totally out of) we went on to Tesco - OH needed fuel- and I braved the shelves. Again, so much missing and no one stocking shelves. Despite having a crutch I was elbowed out of the way at one point; all for a few tins of tomatoes. I swore.

There was a massive queue to get out of the car park and it took nearly 15 minutes. The tills hadn't seemed that busy but I do wonder if people had called in on the offchance and just walked out again when they saw the state of the place. Even the checkout assistants had laminated lists of things that were restricted and there was nearly fisticuffs with the woman in from of me at the till when she was told that she couldn't purchase all to lacto free milk cartons that she'd unloaded onto the belt. We only had a small trolley and that half full but there were those with two large trolleys stuffed to overflowing. Goodness knows what it will be like later in the day - there won't be anything left at all.

I know that I have lead a sheltered life for the past few weeks but I feel genuinely shocked and somewhat emotionally battered by the experience; what have we come to? The supermarkets assure us that there is enough to go round and that supplies are 'in hand' but there was certainly no evidence of it on the shelves. I find it very sad that some people can be so selfish and greedy.

Off for a lie down!

That's awful!  I don't understand it.  Large families maybe, but I think that is overdoing it for some other purpose of the get rich quick mindset - and when it passes, people will remember those and their selfish behaviour.

When I was at the dentist the other day and after Waitrose, it seemed all pretty genteel, although the shops were empty when I was trying to find the post office.  That apparently had been closed down so waste of time walking up and down trying to find one.  Went into Boots and bought a couple of tubes of toothpaste on offer - oh sensitive teeth how I hate you! - and nobody there either.  Since then we haven't been shopping of any sort, but rely online for our deliveries.  I think they are under more pressure to do online packing and deliveries that the shop floors are devoid of shelf stacking bods.

OH found a large bottle of anti baccy gel behind our microwave.  It is labelled Tesco - and neither of us have been to Tesco in over a year!  Yarrr treasurrrrre!

Interesting test DM.  I have surgical spirit - I knew I bought a large size container, 2 litres I think, ages ago because I was fed up with using up lots of diddy bottles for cleaning.  Could I find it?  Nope.  I looked everywhere.  OH found it under the sink in the utility room - I looked there twice!  DOH!  It isn't full, but it should last a while longer.  Plenty of 12% vinegar if needs must, except it plays havoc with my nose!

Have just had a call from the hospital cancelling my check up after hip op tomorrow. Seemingly they are cancelling all out patient appts and possibly re scheduling for a 'later date'. I may or may not get a call from the consultant or one of his team but don't fancy being discharged after major surgery over the 'phone! Equally, I'm expecting my next physio on 2nd April won't go ahead either. We are all coming to a standstill!

On the bright side, I still have half a bottle of hospital grade Hibiscrub left over from my pre op shower as well as a huge bottle of hand sanitiser that ES took on his D of E expedition and didn't use (eugh!) so, as we need a new kitchen, I may resort to E Bay (only kidding🤣). Not sure if it's true but someone told me that this stuff is now more expensive than heroin 😖!

Yes, apparently our Tesco was packed at 7am.  I can see why they’ve told us vulnerable lot not to shop!  My daughter has booked us an online delivery next Wednesday and is calling in tomorrow with crucial supplies like Aubiouse and bark mulch!  

I’ve been ‘talking’ to Cinnamon who is now in France.  She’s well, the farmhouse looks marvellous and her OH Is currently restoring a bread oven they have discovered.  Although they are in lockdown, the weather is glorious and 21 degrees.   So some good news. 

I’ve spent today cancelling things for our painting group and working out how we can best support each other.  I got the calendar out and discovered that 12 weeks is 7 June!  And obviously 16 weeks 4 weeks later so we are into July.  I will now store that information and get back to living day by day. 

Great to hear that Cinnamon and her hubs are well and happy - please say hello from Soapy the next time you are in touch, PW! Good to hear that your daughter is keeping you well supplied; as case of priorities!

We have a Tesco delivery booked this week and next but, having checked for the following week, there is nothing available at all. OH and I have decided to use the Queue Up (otherwise known as the Co Op) in the next village rather than venture into the madness that is the major supermarket for the duration. However, I feel for those self isolating; all very well for the latest Government pronouncement to suggest that the now housebound use home delivery services but, when there are no slots available for the next three weeks, it's academic!