Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Oh dear me - I do enough weight lifting here!  I have a fat bottom but my arms are like Arnie Schwarzenegger!  I can't do weights with my derriere cheeks!:lol:

I can let you have details of my physio excercises; they don't call them physioterrorists for nothing - now I have thighs of iron! I also have a set of hand weights which I use when watching tellie in the evening as I don't have a smallholding 😉

• Haha 1

I'm not sure. We were caught between the airline and the online travel agent, neither of them would help us. We're still not sure where we stand because it's impossible at this point to get anyone to actually talk to us or reply to the emails we are sending. My only consolation is that there are thousands of extremely angry people out there who are in the same situation as us. We're not going to give up yet, just because we booked cattle class doesn't mean that we should be treated with such disdain. It's still a lot of money. 

Here's one to make you think twice.  I was putting my PJs on last night in front of the fire.  Then I noticed, just 6 inches away from me, a small snake, coiled around a pine cone!

We think it came in through a small hole in the stone wall where a flue goes out.

I'm not sure on the variety, it has similar markings to an adder, but we don't have them here.  Whatever it is we see them often in the garden, but I can't match it with anything I see online, my task is to get a decent photo so I can nail it.  I know its a baby, as an adult is a metre long, and this was 12 inches.  I am less concerned for us, and luckily I am not too bothered by snakes, but I do worry for cat the hunter, he is a bit young to know the difference between dinner and danger.  The vet wasn't much help either!

Some duck eggs from a friend, together with one of my banty eggs, went into a rhubarb and coconut sponge pudding, which I had with custard yesterday for supper.

20200322_175853.thumb.jpg.457d9de2d0d1109a31773b5cd6619772.jpg

The Poultry Palace is in use at last! Madam in the picture - an Araucana bantam named Kelly because she has Kelly Hoppen inspired colouring - has always been picky about laying int he nest box when it is already in use, especially when the other occupant is a screaming broody 🙄 so I bought this for anyone who wanted to lay in peace and quiet... Kelly has been using it for the last week and is now laying more regularly and not in the borders :)

20200322_142219.thumb.jpg.e97085a7429a0c0cd04606fb4291fc3d.jpg

Edited by The Dogmother
  • Like 1

LOL!  Yes we have had a lot of interest in our green one.  Two banties popped eggs out in there the other day.  The ducks are enjoying the eglu, although have checked out the little green hole, but I think it is too small for their long bodies.  Frida is also adding to the eglu eggs as there were 2 duck eggs and her one in there the other day.

Gah! ES announced this morning that his top retainer is cracked. It's about a year since his previous ones did the same so guess his mouth is growing (it certainly gets enough excercise 😉) however that means a trip to the orthodontist for impressions then back again for fitting of retainers so have arranged that for tomorrow 5.pm.

OH is very anti and doesn't want us to go - he's getting really weird about the whole situation and has even collated all the life assurance and pension stuff 'just in case' I need it. He is 55 with no underlying health issues apart from slightly raised blood pressure. Compromise is that I drive ES to Marlow, 'phone them when we get there and wait outside (it's in a little alley way) until the ortho d is ready then they call us (or shout out of the window!) and we go straight in. Ortho d and nurse always wear gloves and mask anyway. I think this covers it but will then have to go back the following week to have the retainers fitted. If we go into lockdown on the interim they will post them out and hope they fit. Dental emergencies were not something I'd thought about .............. until this morning!

I can’t remember how old ES is soapdragon but are these Invisalign type retainers or just normal post-braces retainers? I think I stopped wearing mine about a year after my braces came off and I don’t know any of my friends who continued to wear theirs.

Might not need one, especially if braces came off a year ago - or should be able to wait a few weeks 

Soapdragon, that all sounds difficult. I've been checking out this site a couple of times a day or more if I'm honest. I wondered if your OH might find it reassuring. Whilst the numbers aren't pretty they're not terrible and put things into perspective. There is tons of global info and then you can click on UK for example and see more detailed numbers and charts for here. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Also, we take our temperature every day which is very reassuring because it's a fairly good indicator that everything is OK. 

Edited by patsylabrador

1 hour ago, Lewis said:

I can’t remember how old ES is soapdragon but are these Invisalign type retainers or just normal post-braces retainers? I think I stopped wearing mine about a year after my braces came off and I don’t know any of my friends who continued to wear theirs.

Might not need one, especially if braces came off a year ago - or should be able to wait a few weeks 

Lewis, they are his nightime retainers which he has been told he'll have to wear for life after his braces came off! It must be about 18 months or just over sine the braces came off. Dire consequences of not wearing them have been laid out!

I'll ring in the morning and see if they are still open as I guess it will be under medical reasons for leaving the house. We'd only see the masked ortho d and nurse!

20 minutes ago, patsylabrador said:

Soapdragon, that all sounds difficult. I've been checking out this site a couple of times a day or more if I'm honest. I wondered if your OH might find it reassuring. Whilst the numbers aren't pretty they're not terrible and put things into perspective. There is tons of global info and then you can click on UK for example and see more detailed numbers and charts for here. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Also, we take our temperature every day which is very reassuring because it's a fairly good indicator that everything is OK. 

Thanks PL, I'll check that out. I do feel that we are very fortunate anyway. I've been in a way self isolating due to the hip op and OH works from home and has had no meetings for the last 5 weeks - all done via Teams now. He's getting very morbid though - I'm more pragmatic and feel that we are doing all we can, basically self isolating apart from local village shop and dosing up with vit c and zinc. 

Its very difficult to get a proper  picture of risks, statistics and up to date info.

On 3/22/2020 at 8:30 AM, Valkyrie said:

Oh yes squats - in which my knees lock!  I've been a Quasimodo for years!  :lol:

Patsylabby sounds like you were right to stay home after all.  You'd have been stranded!

On that note, my lovely friend Sam Goode, who is a personal trainer has posted a video on how to do a squat properly!

23 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

Picked some spring flowers from my garden to leave on my mums doorstep yesterday. Thought they’d brighten up everyone’s evening.

0FD08FD3-9658-42E6-8BA8-391A007E61FB.jpeg

Those flowers are lovely - such a sweet thought.I have been working out doors today and really enjoying all the flowers and things coming alive. The chooks have been following me around, hoovering up woodlice as I move the woodpile! It was warm enough to be in a t-shirt.