Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

1 hour ago, Patricia W said:

Still saw 5 teenagers walking down the road together yesterday.  Will they never learn? On the positive side, this lockdown has made me embrace technology more.   Today, I managed a 5 way Messenger chat with my four offspring and family spanning the UK and Australia AND another with my three sisters.   Now going to download Zoom as next Sunday it is Etta’s third birthday and hopefully we can have a virtual birthday party for her!  

That's lovely Tricia :)

Life here continues more or less as normal when I am on my patch. Roads and everywhere else is deserted. I went for a run yesterday and hardly saw anyone, let alone having to dodge them.

1 hour ago, Patricia W said:

Still saw 5 teenagers walking down the road together yesterday.  Will they never learn? On the positive side, this lockdown has made me embrace technology more.   Today, I managed a 5 way Messenger chat with my four offspring and family spanning the UK and Australia AND another with my three sisters.   Now going to download Zoom as next Sunday it is Etta’s third birthday and hopefully we can have a virtual birthday party for her!  

I have a Zoom birthday party planned too!

We are starting to video message more with my Japanese family. I was very sad and angry about missing seeing them and to be honest I don't know if we'll see them at all this year now. Our grandson is 15 months and loves climbing and he was so proud to show us his little indoor slide. I can't stop seeing his beautiful proud big grin. We're getting into the habit of weekly short but sweet hellos. I was really pleased because I asked in Japanese what his teddy bears name is and he answered me. I don't think either of us knew what the other said but it was still wonderful. 

• Like 1

OMG - just had another encounter with a small snake in the house. This time it was definitely a ladder snake.  Aaaah!  I was coming out of the bathroom and there it was having a look into our bedroom.  I yelled for OH who came up the stairs armed with a broom.  A bit of rushing past the snake whilst it was distracted to open various doors, and then OH was able to sweep it down the hallway and out.  Now OH has gone to see if he can buy some expanding foam at the hardware shop if it is open, for an emergency repair.  I thought I'd blocked up the hole in the wall where a new flue has been installed, which is where we think it is getting in, but obviously not well enough. Over the years I have had many encounters with snakes, often involving stairs.  It is 100% true that they do climb! The only good thing about this is that a)the cat was asleep and b)we weren't in bed asleep!   If I don't post tomorrow you'd better come and check up!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Forget the first cuckoo of spring; I've just heard the first hedgehog rustling around in the garden :dance:. Thank goodness I've got a whole bag of hoggy food...just put some out with a bowl of water. That's made my day!

So jealous. I haven't seen or heard a hedgehog for so many years. When I first moved to London back in the seventies they were everywhere, now absolutely nothing. We're in the suburbs so loads of gardens and green space and woodland but no sign. 

We have a big whip snake living in the loft Daphne, so they certainly can climb. We've seen the shed skin in the guttering and heard it wriggling about under the glass fibre insulation. Probably eating lizards, because hopefully we've eliminated the mice.

Unfortunately we haven't got any hedgehogs here. There isn't that much to eat now since we dealt with all the slugs and snails that were eating our veg. We do have a lot of very large toads though and if you go out after dark you need to be careful where you tread. The next thing to arrive, now it's getting warmer, will be the queen hornets.

I have just been gifted a HUGE bag of wild garlic!  Left on the doorstep.  Just picked out a few bulbs still attached and put in a plant pot.   Now what to do?   I  thought some pesto, flavouring a loaf which I shall bake tomorrow,  a quiche with the eggs Millie is still producing.... any more? 

I heard you!  I am still in slightly nervous mode, inspecting all floors before I venture into a room.  OH has been sharing on social media.  A friend here said that last time he had a snake in the house (?!) he just picked it up and threw it out!