Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

I've never eaten duck eggs before so, when some appeared on the village veggie cart alongside the usual chicken eggs, plants etc, I thought I'd try them. I scrambled one for lunch- it was horrible! It tasted and smelled a bit fishy. Not that I mind fishy but only when it's fish!  Are they supposed to taste like that or did I choose a duff one?

Never had one like that before, not even bought ones.  The shells are more porous so they mustn't be washed until you eat them.  Shop ones are washed so need to be eaten quick - and goodness knows how long they've been travelling, so always best to refridgerate them.  Normally they should last 2 weeks from laying fresh or 3 weeks in the fridge.  We are trying freezing whole in muffin trays.  Not tested that yet.  I have boxes in the fridge labelled eat first but if they are nearing the 3 week mark then into the recycling they go.  Not risking it.   They may have eaten something that tainted the egg - when my old orpy hens found the leeks and even chives, chomping away on them, it made the albumen taste metallic to me.  Perhaps those ducks were chomping frogs!

47 minutes ago, soapdragon said:

I've never eaten duck eggs before so, when some appeared on the village veggie cart alongside the usual chicken eggs, plants etc, I thought I'd try them. I scrambled one for lunch- it was horrible! It tasted and smelled a bit fishy. Not that I mind fishy but only when it's fish!  Are they supposed to taste like that or did I choose a duff one?

We had ducks in the 1980's - never ate them as eggs but baked with them and they were good to bake with very rich.  I think you got a duff one!🙁

1 minute ago, Blackrocksrock said:

We had ducks in the 1980's - never ate them as eggs but baked with them and they were good to bake with very rich.  I think you got a duff one!🙁

I agree, they make amazing cakes, but I don't care for eating them on their own.

My dogs are raw fed and get an raw egg each day on their mince - they especially like duck eggs if I am given some. I guess their palates are just less discerning than ours!

I have had a fishy tasting duck egg too (I boiled it), bought from a farm shop, and it has put me off them for life, although I know bakers say the eggs are great and no doubt if I had one in a cake I'd think it was marvellous!  Perhaps there are more duff ones about than we think, and/or shops/keepers don't keep the eggs correctly given what Valkyrie says about storage/washing.

On 6/14/2020 at 1:47 PM, soapdragon said:

Thanks for all the replies...I knew I could rely on you all! Seems I may just have had a duff one but it doesn't make me want to try any of the other 5 remaining! At £3 per half doz I do feel very sad about putting them into the food waste though!!!

I must admit 50p each is on the high side for me, but I love duck eggs. As with all animals, their diet definitely affects the output, so if the egg tasted weird then the duck almost certainly found a source of something "flavoursome" to eat. I'd at least give a second egg a go since they're unlikely to all have come from the same duck; if it was just that one bird that made the gastronomic discovery then the others may well be fine, and if the second egg tastes like the first then obviously the whole flock are being kept near an egg-tainting food source.

As I said, duck eggs I love and a couple boiled with toast soldiers is the way to go. I've never tried cooking them any other way since if I was disappointed it would also mean having missed out on one of my favourite breakfasts and I never feel it worth the risk. Now whatever I've said about duck eggs, goose eggs are that squared. I could eulogise for hours on the delights of boiled goose eggs for brekkie......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Accidents outside our house are pretty standard but I took some photos this time. The bus got stuck and I was really worried about the little tree the council recently planted outside. We've been asking for trees for years since the old ones were run over. Traffic got really backed up until OH went out to take charge and they jumped the car out of the way. He's ex traffic so it's in his DNA now. The bloke in the background who drove into the parked car did nothing to help, just turned his back on the guys while he took notes. I took against him tbh. I do enjoy a bit of street theatre. IMG_20200616_160717.thumb.jpg.363e17fc9ad5bbe9d536241a123e3395.jpgIMG_20200616_160419.thumb.jpg.2515f828d936fb94489b42f626e9558c.jpgScreenshot_20200616_140039_com.android.gallery3d.thumb.jpg.e09e4f6cb2ffd657d697b622aea2c62f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Via Euronews: COVID-19 may have been in Italy as early as December 2019, according to new research
https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/19/covid-19-may-have-been-in-italy-as-early-as-december-2019-according-to-new-research

This is what so many people suspected. Does this mean that they've known this and kept quiet or that nobody tested water they'd saved until now. I'm guessing this is the kind of reason they preserve waste water, to test the general health of population? I don't know, I didn't know this was done tbh. 

• Like 1

I think that perhaps it hadn't mutated as much and so the lack of deaths at that time didn't sound the warning bells.  I'm absolutely certain we had it at the end of December.  All I could find was "a coughing virus that cannot be helped with anti-biotics so it has to run the course which is from a week to 11 days".  Mine started on the 30th December and after 11 days I was frustrated as it hadn't gone.  I caught it from my son who came to stay just after Christmas and I picked him up on the 27th early.  On the 29th we went to Croyde as it was the only day that wasn't raining, but misty. The beach was empty and it was sunny and warm up there.  I drove him home on the 30th and started the tickly cough that evening.  He reckoned being in the car for a long time was the time that the virus transferred.   We popped into my mum on the way back but only for a brief pitstop.  I also popped into her for the same on the way home.  She remains free of the virus.  

On the other hand with elderly people dying in the winter months, it probably was overlooked there too.  OH was listening to a podcast that suggested that the number of deaths in the elderly are fairly normal, so the length of time that they had was foreshortened by a few weeks.  Not nice for the families though.  Didn't they reckon that the first tracked case came from a ski resort in Italy?  

We all need this antivirus test to be perfect so that we know whether to still shield or be free - and then the country can really relax and get on with normal life.

Am I the only person who doesn't know that girls are using prosthetic putty on their faces as part of their daily make-up routine. I say girls, maybe boys as well. They alter their jawline, their noses, their foreheads, their cheekbones. It must feel gross and it seems sad and a little mad. 

Not just you Jude - if I could spare the time and energy to get annoyed and concerned about it, I would. But my view is that if they want to waste their time and money doing that and being fake, then they can get on with it. It's a very shallow and meaningless existence, made even more so in the current climate of pandemic and death.

What actual use are these people?