Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

On 6/30/2020 at 2:03 PM, The Dogmother said:

Brilliant service from the Royal Mail

I gave your post a like a while ago, and on reflection I decided to post an addendum.

If that were me, I'd say it was brilliant service from the postman. However, I see very little to like about the Royal Mail itself despite seeing so many people who work for them being customer service superstars. Some time ago, we tried to opt out of receiving junk mail and asked the postman not to give us the flyers in amongst our post. Postie was very understanding but let us know he'd be disciplined if he did that without us going through the Royal Mail's formal opt-out procedure. That meant navigating to an arcane and buried part of the web site (https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/293/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-receiving-any-leaflets-or-unaddressed-promotional-material%3F) to find their opt-out form (a PDF), print it out, fill it in and return it by post to them - no submitting your choices online. They would then get the postie to memorise the list of addresses on their round who had opted out and make sure he didn't put flyers in with the post going through those letter boxes. That "no junk mail" instruction would last for two years after which you'd have to repeat the process. One postie from a different part of the country voluntarily circulated that opt-out form's location to his addresses expecting correctly that people would be grateful and almost got dismissed by the Royal Mail.

Almost all posties I've met have been wonderfully helpful as with a large proportion of Post Office staff. However, I cannot be complimentary about an organisation that treats its staff and customers like that just to keep a money-spinner going.

Rant over. And yes, the delivery card was a classic.

• Like 1

You know what Major? I agree - there are some absolutely lovely posties around, and counter staff too - especially those in the smaller sub-post offices. The RM can be very twittish though - many moons ago, they left what was an important parcel 'in the blue bin outside the front door', and posted a note through the letter box to tell me such. Thing is, that bin was out for collection that day, and the parcel was lost forever. It had no monetary worth, but was a beautifully handmade baby dress for R, made by my aunt out of fabric and lace from vintage family dresses which she had.

• Like 1

Our posties, in a small village, were banned from using bikes as they were deemed 'unsafe'. The posties were mad.....they had to use trolleys instead and so, when they had finished their rounds, had to walk all the way back to the PO pushing there trolleys when they could have been back - and home - in less then half the time if they'd had bikes.

At one point, when the boys were much younger, I bought a lot from E Bay (mainly Mini Boden which I took good care of then re sold - often for the same money!) Because we were in and out a lot I put a plastic bin, with lid, by our front door for deliveries; it had a 'parcels here please' notice on the lid. After a few months the postie said that they were not allowed to leave parcels but had to hand them to the resident or take them back to the PO thus meaning they had much more to carry if people were not in. 

A couple of women were jogging past my bedroom window this morning and I overheard a snippet of conversation 

Lady 1: I think they should be able to read my mind, understand my feelings 

Lady 2: I don't want that, they should just listen to what I'm saying 

I didn't hear any more. I wonder who 'they' are though. 

We've just been playing Show of Hands (bit folky) on the Alexa thing.......if you ask her nicely then she plays a random selection (isn't that clever 😎!) One song stopped me in my tracks and really made me think and so I Googled the words. I'm sure there are all sorts of laws against me typing them up here but, if you are feeling patriotic and have a few moments to spare, you could Google 'Roots' by Show of Hands. Might not be your sort of thing but I felt that the sentiments were pertinent. Sorry if I am being self indulgent!

9 hours ago, soapdragon said:

I think she pretends not to understand! Actually, I really don't like these devices as it all seems a bit 'big brother', as in someone listening in rather than the tv thing!

Would not have one in the house - saw that it recorded what happened in the house and sent to someone else outwith the family!.   Not sure if that was true or not but was enough for me.   Too much "Big Brother" for me.  

Ooh a "NO Yoker"  never had that either,   be good for meringues!

Edited by Blackrocksrock