Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Not sure on the mystery tuber at all, the leaves look a bit solid for a hosta, but maybe that is what they are like when they are very young, I haven't ever grown one from scratch.  Thank you for the iNaturalist tip - I will download, my reference books are a bit limited sometimes over here.

Brilliant photo, very funny!

• Like 1

New bank card scam call, this time purporting to be from Nat West - this from a friend:

"At lunchtime I fielded an interesting bank scam phone call purporting to come from my branch asking me to call in to collect a new debit card.  What I found slightly disturbing was that they had the house phone number and address, knew I banked with NatWest and knew the first four numbers of my debit card.  However they had the wrong branch address - I didn't let them know that - and couldn't offer the expiry date on my current card.  They rang off when I said that I didn't believe they were who they said they were.  I rang Natwest to warn them and spoke to a very nice man who told me that all Natwest private debit cards start with those four numbers, which I thought was useful information.  I found it a bit disturbing to realise how adept some scammers can be.  One is so accustomed to calls from India offering to repair my Windows operating system that something with a modicum of refinement came as a shock".

Be warned!

We got a cute little video of my grandson yesterday practicing with his training chopsticks. If you haven't seen them they're just like little tongs. He's also starting to talk in both languages which fascinates me. Just the fact that a baby can rearrange all those words into the correct sections seems incredible. I've watched some lectures on YouTube and read articles online to try to understand how they do it.

• Like 2

Our boys have these chopsticks, tho they generally give up and go for a fork! Your grandson will be at a massive advantage being able to fluently speak both languages!

An aside; I've listed a few items on the local Gumtree and the curse of spelling strikes again. Someone has listed a 'pitcher'. It's a lovely pitcher - of tulips!!!!

• Haha 2

I can literally never win!

Red caught a little fledgling house sparrow last night. So I was catching the little thing in the garden at 00:30 in my nighty. Put it in a cat carrier. Gave it some food and water. Let it drink water from my finger and put it in the sectioned off part of the chicken run. This morning it was scuttling around so I went to check. It had had some food, pooped all over the cage and was fluttering around. So I let it go.

It flew out of the garden but a bit low. So went after it to check. And could just witness how it was scooped up by a magpie! 
So I nursed the little sparrow back to health only so it could end up as magpie breakfast! 🥺

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, patsylabrador said:

For those of you who watch Gardener's World, if you see a young couple on there who live in Luton, they are friends of mine so technically that makes me famous I believe. I've known the lad since he was four so it's fun to see them on TV. 

Have they been on yet? I’m a never-miss-an-episode-fan of GW!

Finally, everything is sorted. We have rebooked our flights to Tokyo, I didn't lose my money and I can't wait. It's a long time away and my grandson will be 2 1/2 by the time I see him again. I was determined to try and see him every 6 months or at least every year but this year's a bust. Even if we could get the money together there's no guarantee about the quarantine  *******  being lifted. But I'm not going to focus on that, a lot of people have missed a lot more, so I'm going to focus on how excited I am. 

DSC07513.thumb.JPG.c6c97b0caf34d1c6acd3fb90d6cc5755.JPG

• Like 3

😱

I caught an escaped hen from my neighbours the other day. And when I was waiting for them to open the door, I noticed she has a pinprick sized pupil on one side and a normal one on the other. It was really tiny compared to the other.

So when I hand the hen back over, I mention this. They hadn’t seen it at all! 😳

Great photos again PL - particularly of the castle, it looks atmospheric, and the deer, they are so clear and detailed.  I feel I can see the velvet on the antlers.  Thank you!

OH is in bed with a hangover.  This is what happens when you get overexcited with the easing of the lockdown and get to have barbecue with real live humans!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, soapdragon said:

The second lunch break in 13 weeks?! Careful there, you'll be getting used to it!

Sorry was being a bit dramatic :lol: We’re meant to get an hour for lunch but have skipped lots recently and normally been getting 15mins so it’s the second time I had a full hour to go home :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1