Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Although another theory is a research facility, right  beside market in Wuhan that uses bats etc for experiments in germ/virus warfare and a researcher was bitten by a tick from a bat that was infected. I suppose never really know for sure. The expected numbers of serious infection are worrying and I can’t see NHS being in position to conjure up ventilators and MRI scanners in a week the way China appeared to do. 

9 hours ago, patsylabrador said:

Apparently they knew it would be a problem last year but during that time I guess thousands of Chinese people have been on their holidays all over the world. I can't help wonder if the rotten colds we've had this winter are this same virus but of course nobody was tested for it last year. 

We jokingly said that one of my team mates who was VERY poorly with an awful respiratory virus for weeks before Christmas might’ve had it. The thing is you never know do you because they don’t generally try to find out what virus it is do they?

• Like 1

Patsylabrador, I'm so sorry that things are the way they are at the moment, I'm not sure there is anything I can say that will help but wanted to send my love.

I have a friend that I work in school with who has very fragile health and I dread anyone catching anything and giving her something connected to this awful flu.

Thank you Luvachicken. I think it's a bit weird for my family there , the entire island of Hokkaido has been requested to stay indoors for the weekend. That doesn't seem very realistic to me. I would imagine people still have to go to work etc. My friend's daughter lives in South Korea and she is pretty worried about her. It's starting to look like we'll lose the money for the flights although the airline has announced that it's cutting back drastically. That makes me hopeful that they'll become a little flexible about rescheduling. There are vast areas of Japan completely untouched by the virus which makes it even more frustrating that we can't tweak our booking at all. Next time I book flights I will be much more aware of the pitfalls and much more careful of how I do it. 

Sorry to hear your travel plans have been in such a turmoil - worrying for you and the family on both sides.

Apparently people are stockpiling loo rolls from the supermarkets!  Well I just don't know what to think - it seems like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.  I gather Devon has quite a few cases.  I'm just relieved I buy in bulk anyway.  I've always been told off for it, but we use it and now we've been growing so much more that we were well equipped for a mini Armageddon last year - but not quite the survivalist extremes.  It would take a month of Sundays to dig down half an inch into that rock!  :lol:  But seriously I'm not quite as worried for myself - more my family who are probably more vulnerable.  

The supermarkets are cashing in though.  I genuinely wanted loo rolls yesterday so went to buy my usual, when I found they were offering two packs at a reduced price.  So I bought double the number I would have done just b cause it was economically better to do so.   Just hoping we can drive down to Spain mid May.   

I bet they are! I remember the bread shortage and the sugar shortage where people were loading up their trolleys.  My grandmother thought they were silly and we just bought the one loaf, but I don't remember being without bread.  Then again newspapers do like to exaggerate - or tell blatant fibs.  This time I think it was the chief med officer who said to expect a pandemic, so I just hope it is nipped in the bud.  My mum is pretty scared - she would like to see my daughter get married and I think that is worrying her more that she might be one of the old'uns that gets it.  I did read that a flu jab would help to some degree.  Whether that is true or not, I have no idea.  But we all have had ours because of the asthma.  

Yes, that was the secondary infections thingy that was mentioned.  It won't stop this one as it is completely new - and mutating as it goes.  I wonder how it became a two pronged attack virus!  Makes you wonder if some bio warfare was being tested and it escaped.  We'll never know.  

No too bothered about it all; I stay relatively healthy anyhow, so shouldn't be too troubled by it. I am keeping an eye on elderly relatives and neighbours though - they are worried needlessly by the media hype. :roll:

One of the livestock companies which I freelance for keeps me supplied with free surgical scrub and hand gel anyhow - I have enough for all of us, I think!

• Haha 1

Ahhh Corporal Jones!  I use surgical spirit for cleaning and vinegar too, so plenty of that sort of thing here.  Also Hibiscrub!  I did look at Amazon prices for small hand disinfectant gel - we always have that to hand when we are out - but ridiculous mark up on them - don't need as I bought some prior to the virus announcement, but I was being nosy having heard about it all being bought up.  I said I'd just fill a little bottle of surgical spirit if necessary - the smell doesn't last like vinegar and I'm not walking around smelling like a chippie!:lol:

In any case they say it can do more harm than good - just soap and water is sufficient - and I had soap from my Secret Santa!:D

It's funny, isn't it? I grew up with livestock and the speck of dirt theory (we drank raw milk for goodness sake!) but we were always dried to wash our hands up to our elbows (Wright's Coal Tar Soap) outside before coming in. That has stayed with me, and no matter how used I am to sticking my hands up various animals' bums or in their mouths, I still scrub up afterwards.

Yes! I’ve got a soap making daughter in law.   Loads for Christmas.  She never expected this though.  I’m in the ‘elderly’ category ( although I’ll only admit it on here!) but have seen off worse things so will keep calm and carry on..... 

I’m more worried about my asthmatic jet setting eldest son in Australia 

It goes with the territory - we always worry more about our offspring!  

I remember that bout of flu 20 odd years ago.  Both OH and I were floored and our children who were probably 8 or 9 at the time were bringing us water and food (we didn't even have the energy to eat!) and I remember forcing myself to get up and clean out the rabbit with a raging temperature.  I don't know how I managed it!  I think it must have been during the summer as we didn't have to worry about school.  A crazy time for flu!  Probably the last people to get it.  Neither DS or DD caught it - which was a blessing!

Our local Boot's delivery truck was targeted yesterday as thieves took the entire lot of hand gels.

No doubt they will be selling them on ebay.

Do you think you could mix Aloe Vera gel with alcohol ?

I used the alcohol stuff at school the other day and I was almost sick from the smell.

I might just take my own soap instead. 

The government has stepped in here to stop racketeering. Hand gel maximum prices have been fixed at 50mL is €2 or 100mL is 3€. There are no masks left anywhere. Not sure the alcohol hand wash is much better than soap, if at all, according to one test I saw.

They are currently focussing on biosecurity in retirement homes. We're making sure the chickens have plenty of food and water and the fence battery is always fully charged; may have to leave the pop-holes open and let them get on with it for a while.

I think that the media is being totally irresponsible with regard to the hyping up of the corona virus; it certainly wasn't like this with bird flu or SARS! That said, I am insisting that the boys wash their hands as soon as they come home but that's really just an excuse to get them into better hygiene habits 😉

• Haha 1

You won't have to worry about that when girls come on the scene!  Can't get them out of the bathroom then!:lol:

And today 11 goat willow tree saplings went in along the western hedge.  Pretty hard going!  But all the other edible hedging is sprouting so we are filling in gaps.  I could sleep for a week - but I now have 30 raspberries to go in.  I think I'll heel them in for a couple of days!

Working through my emails!  Beany, there's plenty to forage for the ducks and chickens.  We have a vacuum sealer so we can always make things last a bit longer if needs be.  But we aren't at that stage yet.  

2 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

Our local Boot's delivery truck was targeted yesterday as thieves took the entire lot of hand gels.

No doubt they will be selling them on ebay.

Do you think you could mix Aloe Vera gel with alcohol ?

I used the alcohol stuff at school the other day and I was almost sick from the smell.

I might just take my own soap instead. 

:shock: ye gods, people are crazy!  Dunno about the aloe vera gel - is it surgical spirit alcohol.  Can always get vodka, no smell there and you can always drink it in your coffee with cream on the top (Russian coffee - oh deeeeelish!):lol:

• Haha 1

Had to buy toilet roll yesterday because we had actually run out and felt embarrassed to buy it thinking people would think I was joining in - even though I only bought one pack. Did have to buy expensive stuff though because all the normal was gone!

236764FB-F65B-4AD2-994B-FEA9047DA9C3.jpeg(Random man in the photo is nothing to do with me!)

Edited by mullethunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ha! Having read your post I was going to say that you didn't look at all as I had imagined! Somewhat more hairy around the chops!

Seriously, OH and the boys went to our local town this morning (I'm still confined to barracks 😡) and popped into both Waitrose and Lidl (being totally even handed 🤣) both were short of loo roll but well supplied with everything else. Shows where folk's priorities lay!