Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, our lot have top hats and sooty faces.  Definitely a little er, eager!  Me old bamboo, me old bamboo - you'd better never bother with me old bamboo la la all together now!

Love different regions with their clogs and bells.  I think it worked today - the sun broke out this afternoon!  Folk festivals - I believe there's one in Margate as my Canadian cuz loved to go there - and help with the ale tent.:lol:

Just scrolling down my emails and noticed the full extent of Soapy's post!  Er, I have done Morris dancing - great exercise!  I even taught my two to do it although the hankies were replaced by the freshly laundered socks belonging to my husband.  So there we were skipping around the sofa twirling socks and DS let one fly - it landed on a cactus that had barbed hook spines.  Of all the places!  It took me an awful long time to prise that sock off - every time I thought I undid a bit, another bit was hooked!  I wonder if OH had any prickly bits when he wore that sock?:lol:  

I suppose a pre-laundered sock could be a weapon of mass destruction when waved around!

At least it wasn't OH's underpants O.o I shan't be able to hear the jingle of those bells now without thinking 'cactus' :$

I don't know about a pre laundered sock being a weapon of mass destruction but the ones on the floor in ES room definately pose a chemical hazard :ph34r: I keep thinking that, if I leave them long enough, they'll be able to make their own way to the machine....either that or the bin.

:lol:

Sorry Granny T - missed a post (happily I'm well behind with emails and saw yours amongst them!)  Don't seem to have Scottish heritage at the moment.  We have Irish, Welsh, Sussex and what I was told French - apparently not, that's Wiltshire but hey ho easily confused ancestors!  But I have a hankering for bagpipes and haggis and clootie pudding that can only mean I haven't found my missing link there yet!:lol:  Oh I mean I like listening to bagpipes and eating the rest!

My dad (who was English) sometimes seemed more Scottish than me! He loved Rabbie Burns, haggis, whisky etc. As I've matured I can drink whisky but still don't like Burns or haggis. Clooty dumpling is delicious. Mum used to make it in her pressure cooker which gave it a nice thick skin, then she found a microwave recipe which was tasty, too, it just didn't get a skin.

https://www.truehighlands.com/clootie-dumpling/

A cotton tea towel is fine to use. Check if the dumpling is firm after about 2 1/2 hours. If it's cooked too long it can go a bit dry inside. A friend of ours likes a slice for his breakfast with an egg on top!

http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/food-drink/how-make-jacqueline-odonnells-traditional-3365304

I've got myself 'drooling' now! :lol:

On 5/4/2018 at 6:15 PM, mullethunter said:

Is it like Christmas pudding?

It's very similar but should be moister and less sponge-like, with a thick skin/rind on it (less so if microwaved). Traditionally at Christmases and birthdays, you could find sixpences wrapped in greaseproof paper in a biteful! Us kids really looked forward to that!

• Like 1

Today a colleague one our surgery receptionists had a wardrobe malfunction (I think that is what celebrities call them) . She was wearing a thin peach coloured jumper. It wasnt till she got to work and went in the loo that she realised her patterned racy bra showed thro. A cover up with a scarf saved her blushes, after we had all had a giggle. She rang her husband and asked why he hadnt told her that she was showing all she had (shes well upholstered:D) and he said he thought it was normal to show your underwear through your clothes!!9_9 Not sure what planet hes on. Suspect he'll get a telling off tonight. Men !!

• Like 1

:lol:

I used to have a blind colleague years ago and she said she hadn't been swimming for a long time and would like to go - well similarly I also wanted to restart, so for a couple of sessions I drove her home, left the dog behind, and went on swimming after that.  I had to give her directions in the water - steer this or that way, but we mainly kept to the side of the pool.  Then she would wait while I stormed down one end and back, then we'd swim back again.  It wasn't until I'd been for a couple of times that I actually caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror - thin then - what a figure! and EEK the red swimsuit was see-through when wet!  Even though it had padding to hide any embarrassment - epic fail on that front.  Or full frontal!  My colleague laughed and said she didn't notice anything!  :lol:  Needless to say that swimsuit was dispatched humanely and I only have navy or black swimsuits now.

• Haha 3

OH sustained a nasty insect bite on his forearm this week. It was a red dot Thurs morning and he always takes antihistamines for hayfever but by lunch time it was red hot and angry. He was dispatched to GP after me telling the receptionist I was a trained nurse blah blah blah and I wanted him seen today (naughty but needs must) . The GP ummed and aahed and said he was worried it was Lymes disease but then decided it wasnt but put OH on high dose antibiotics in case. He hasnt got the distinctive rash unlike my ES who some of you recall had a bullseye rash and fever in his teens on return from New Forrest school trip. Apparently here in NW London Lymes is rifeO.o(I have seen Munchjac deer round here). Anyway poor lad is feeling pretty grot poss due to tablets - and high dose antihistamines - only today has his arm stopped hurting. None of us have seen any ticks on us or cats but not taking any chances and ordered tick remover from Amazon to keep in first aid box. 

Today I heard a shriek "oh no theres another of the bleep bleep ticks on me" I rushed over to find OH clutching his arm and staring at a ................................. greenflyxD in terror. I pulled the devil off and squashed it. He;d been outside and had picked up a passenger. Had to laugh - told him get a grip.  

Had something similar on a school trip to Rome few weeks back. Student had two very angry red spots on her ankle. They hurt quite bad, poor lamb was in tears and her leg was swollen too. 

Was really in doubt if I should go to the hospital. Did go to a pharmacy and got cortisone cream and made her phone her parents, who both work in a hospital. Since we would fly back the next day, I send her to bed with ibuprofen. But it’s always such a worry! 

Few years ago had a kid with similar issues on a school trip (of course this always happens miles from home...) but she had very angry and shockingly big yellow blisters on her leg! :shock: phoned a taxi and went directly to hospital.

Unfortunately you never find out what it was that caused it...

Hope OH recovers. Maybe get him a tick collar? :wink:

A friend pulled a tick off her leg last week, yesterday she had the typical erythema migrans rash and the doctor said she does have Lyme disease!

Apparently in Norway their dogs can come in covered in hundreds of ticks (literally) and have to be really careful with prevention.

I should have been studying all day but instead I spent the afternoon uploading photos to my blog :roll:
Ordered sushi and watched a movie with my housemate this evening...

I'll be crying next week when I run out of time to study!

• Like 1

Blimey!  And yuk with the tick stories!  Like the idea of the collar!:lol:

It's OK to have a time-out Lewis, you need to recharge the batteries and rest that grey matter so that it's ready to absorb when you dive in next - as long as you don't overdo the chillin' out sessions.  Take it from me I rest my grey matter so much it's out of practice!O.o

Great pics, PL. Given the fact that those poor women would have been laced into a tight corset or bodice too it's a wonder they managed to move at all. I think I'd have needed the 18th C equivalent of a sack barrow with a footman to get around O.o Mind you, it's a very posh dress so those who'd have worn similar probably didn't need to do more than lift a tea bowl occasionally!

I have probably gone on about this before and I know that I am an incredibly lucky person in life but I was just thinking how wonderful it is to kick back in the sun and just listen. It's pretty urban here but I like those sounds, the wind rustling through the trees, our neighbour cooking tea for her little girls, the little boy at the end of the garden calling his daddy to play cricket. Bird song, the chickens ruffling their feathers. Planes taking off from Northolt and Heathrow add to the mix and the tube trains. I'm loving it all. #feelinghappy as they say. 

It's lovely when you get in that "everything is awesome" state.  The little things that make you smile is worth far more than money can buy.  Love the duckies and that dress!  I have enough trouble carrying the box with all the chicken cleaning gear through the door - thank goodness I don't have to wear that!  Although I have a feeling "do my hips look big in this?" is a more recent thing!  Super floral fabric at the back - silk? And I love the fan.  One of those would have been very handy today!