Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

I think that's the main thing - always attempt the language, they may laugh but they do appreciate both the laugh and you trying to speak a new language.Most places you know - or should know the basic Ps and Qs.  I do not seem to have that ability to retain languages - something an old teacher clicked with.  Hopeless at Latin, Ancient Greek and French.  Thank goodness I wasn't doing shorthand classes!  Although I do understand some French if it's spoken slowly and I can usually speak a little but basic - won't go into pronunciation!  On our walks we often encounter the elder generation of Gurkha families, so one of our group is a nurse and I've learnt the basics there - it's nice to see their little faces light up and greet you back!  

So Patsylabby you doing good!  :clap:

Edited by Valkyrie

12 minutes ago, GrannyTrish said:

Wow! Well done for learning this. I'm not too bad at picking up languages and I always learn the basics for any country we visit and it's always appreciated that I try even if I get it wrong occasionally. We went to Italy a few times in a row and then went to France for the rugby and I automatically said Si instead of Oui quite a few times, lol!

Well start scrubbing up on your Dutch then! Nederlands is helemaal niet moeilijk!

Just now, Cat tails said:

Well start scrubbing up on your Dutch then! Nederlands is helemaal niet moeilijk!

All that means "yes"?:shock:!  I would have guessed it was ja and niet I would guess "no"?  I've always wanted to go and see the bulb fields and if we do go I'll learn please, thank you, where is, how much, good morning, good night, hello etc.

1 hour ago, GrannyTrish said:

All that means "yes"?:shock:!  I would have guessed it was ja and niet I would guess "no"?  I've always wanted to go and see the bulb fields and if we do go I'll learn please, thank you, where is, how much, good morning, good night, hello etc.

Yes = Ja
No = Nee
Not = Niet

Thank you = Dank je wel
Where is ...= Waar is ...
How much is ..... = Hoeveel is ....
Good morning = Goedemorgen
Good night = Goedenavond
Hello = Hallo ;) 

But what I said was: Dutch isn't difficult at all! Although... Try saying "bagagedrager" ;)

I have a few Dutch friends who have Golden Eagles and they take us hunting a few times a year. I occasionally catch some words I can understand from German but they speak so fast!
One thing I learnt that they always shout is moet dat niet doen :lol: 

I've lived in Slovakia for nearly four years and while I can read lots, I still speak very little. I can do basics, order food and taxi's but as I only hang out with international student's it's difficult to learn ...and people always want to practice speaking English!

45 minutes ago, Lewis said:

I have a few Dutch friends who have Golden Eagles and they take us hunting a few times a year. I occasionally catch some words I can understand from German but they speak so fast!
One thing I learnt that they always shout is moet dat niet doen :lol: 

I've lived in Slovakia for nearly four years and while I can read lots, I still speak very little. I can do basics, order food and taxi's but as I only hang out with international student's it's difficult to learn ...and people always want to practice speaking English!

I used to work at a bilingual school and the expat teachers did find it very difficult to get to learn Dutch, because there is very little need for it. Everyone at work speaks English and most people in shops etc will at least understand basic English. Since I started work at an ordinary school, I find my English is suffering now! Have an English colleague on whom I practise now and then. And he comes and asks me stuff he doesn’t understand.

If a Dutch person yells: Niet doen or Je moet dat niet doen! You know you are in trouble! :lol:

• Thanks 1

I’m quarter Spanish and it’s always annoyed me that other than the real basics I don’t speak it. I can read enough to get by as a tourist but that’s all.

I learnt French and German at school and did A level French - I’m still reasonably confident to converse in French but definitely not German.

We went to Portugal last week and I was really surprised at how although I can read the language about as well as I can read Spanish, I thought it sounded strangely Eastern European spoken and I struggled to understand anything at all.

I always try to learn the very basics of a language before I go somewhere - I feel really uncomfortable being somewhere where I can’t understand anything around me.

• Thanks 1

I learned a bit of Japanese, just by ear, when I worked for a Japanese company. I take my hat off to you Jude - it is very hard!

I struggle with learning languages academically, but pick them up quite quickly culturally. I am half Italian and grew up speaking it, but when my grandfolks died, my mother didn't bother any more. I can still understand a conversation and make myself understood. I also know a smattering of French and Spanish and a few key Arabic phrases from when I lived in north Africa for a few months.

ありがとございます which if I've done it right means thank you (formal) 

I had a fun trip to the V&A yesterday and what made it fun was that we played hide and seek. I went ahead and took a photo from where I was and sent it and made a trail and then waited to be found. Here's a couple of photos. It's such a beautiful museum. 

DSC03470-01.jpeg

DSC03485-01.jpeg

IMG_20180326_105706-01.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Had some me time today. I decided to splurge my birthday money on a facial. Been feeling pretty low so decided needed a treat. Boys and OH ooop  north watching Man u playing. Had my facial and foot massage. Baked and just had a me day. Now  indulging in Pilgrimage to Santiago on catch up.  It looks amazing. Also loving Escape to the Chateau on tv. It was nice to be able to chill. Boys home soon. Weather pants as usual. Hope you all had a good day. 

We are over the moon too! She has been fed for at least the last 3 weeks, as she spent those in a garden of an elderly couple who also called her in. Besides that we know nothing. She has a rather bloated belly, but not too much meat on her bones. Definitely not thin, but certainly lacked some food along the way. She was a rather chubby lady when she left. 

Has the runs though, so will visit the vet tomorrow. And my mom got a new cat in the meantime, who is about 8 months now, so will be interesting...

How many posts to a page....you seem to need to scroll down a lot before getting to most recent posts. However that’s not  what I intended to post about.Its hair grips or clips. I bought a packet on holiday which were absolutely useless,trying to open them bent them the metal was so flimsy, have since bought new ones in a well known chemist and they are just the same. Help where to get clips like the ones from years ago,that worked.

I took the boys swimming yesterday and couldn't find any hair bands to tie my hair up. It's not long, a bit above my shoulders so only just tieable but I hate that flappy wetness all down my neck after swimming! I finally managed to find some clips and battled, poolside, with it all for about 5 mins only to have YS jump in right next to me and soak me anyway; heyho! 

On the subject of hair...I hate how mine suddenly seems to grow just that bit too much almost overnight; I go to bed, it's fine and wake up and it's not >:( Then I go to the hairdresser, she cuts it a tad too short so I have to wait a few weeks and have about 10 days where it's the perfect length again before it goes all shaggy but it's still another few weeks till my next appointment O.oStill, as OH says....'At least you HAVE hair' ;) According to him, men have three hairstyles; parted, unparted and departed :D 

• Haha 1

:lol:

Mine is getting longer and having had a sleepless night with my hair flopping over my face a la Trump style, it now gets plaited up with 2 piggy tails.  Now I don't go round like that in the day though!  I can get a half decent pony tail too - then that has to come when I drive because of the head rest!  Now why can't they make those adjustable so you don't drive like Quasimodo?