Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Back to wrapping paper we bought 2, 5m rolls from Lidl today they are brown paper based one red one green no metallic bits.

The cultural differences in wrapping paper! Who knew they existed? :lol:

All paper in the Netherlands is paper... we don't do foils or paper with foil layers.

But even over there you recycle better than we do. Norway gives you money back on returned bottles to make sure they return them.

Ahhh, I have used the Lidl brown paper for a few years but they didn't have any amongst their offerings last week. I went to a BG Sainsbury's yesterday for thermal undies for YS school trip (Brecon Beacons end Jan/beg Feb :shock: ) and got some nice stuff without foil.....

With regard to the Royal Wedding....OH was delighted with William and Kate; they got married on his birthday and he got the day off :dance: Much more low key this time round but I suspect there will be a BH in the offing! Not that I'm bothered........mums don't get days off!

We are a bit fanatical about recycling and our bin is always full whereas the 'rubbish' bin is only ever half full. However, I know plenty of people who just sling everything into the 'rubbish' bin and don't even think to separate out their plastics etc. Its horrifying to see some of the pictures in the papers recently of beaches strewn with bottles.

Up to this year, we have spent all our holidays in Bigbury on Sea and, over the 11 years that w have been going there, have noticed a significant increase in detritus of a recyclable nature. What are we doing to this wonderful planet :cry:

We are a bit fanatical about recycling and our bin is always full whereas the 'rubbish' bin is only ever half full. However, I know plenty of people who just sling everything into the 'rubbish' bin and don't even think to separate out their plastics etc. Its horrifying to see some of the pictures in the papers recently of beaches strewn with bottles.

Up to this year, we have spent all our holidays in Bigbury on Sea and, over the 11 years that w have been going there, have noticed a significant increase in detritus of a recyclable nature. What are we doing to this wonderful planet :cry:

Just looked at Bigbury on Sea on DuoMaps. It looks divine!

Yes, its really beautiful but gets packed 'in season'. We always went the week before or after the May/June half term. However, with ES at secondary now we just can't and the rental prices are well over a thousand per week for that half term week. Hence we are now looking at Wales!

If you want to go outside school hols I would be happy to give you some recommendations for self catering/places to eat etc?

We watched A Plastic Ocean at work today in our team meeting. A really tough watch, in equal measures heart breaking, depressing, infuriating and frustrating. It dovetailed well with Blue Planet II which I'm also finding quite difficult to watch.

We drafted out some changes we're going to try to make to the way we work to reduce our consumption of single use plastics, but it's made me think really hard about the things we use at home. I'm going to stop using cling film altogether, stop using freezer bags, make more of an effort to not buy things unnecessarily packaged in plastic (I already do this but think I could be better) and unpack things at the supermarket and leave the packaging with them in an effort to get them to think about more sustainable packaging.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd be grateful to hear them.

I urge everyone to try to watch the film, but it did leave me wishing human beings didn't exist.

It appears that we chuck stuff in the recycling bin that, apparently, is not even recyclable and we didn't realise! I had no idea that BLACK plastic 'dishes', the sort that veggies and fruit are sold in, cannot be recycled! Instead of blaming consumers so much I really do think that the pressure should be put on manufacturers to ONLY use recyclable packaging...can't be difficult surely :wall:

Black plastic IS recycleble, but it not picked up from the black conveyor belt by the cameras since it is also black. So it ends up in the wrong plastic stream. So recycle companies rather not have you put it with your plastic. Black styrofoam is NOT recycleble as styrofoam is not recycleble at all.

Black plastic IS recycleble, but it not picked up from the black conveyor belt by the cameras since it is also black.

Yep that's right - our council sent a leaflet explaining that. I've just spent 5 minutes trying to get the totally unnecessary black pouring cap off a clear PET olive oil bottle and nearly removed my hand in the process. That was after I wrapped up a Christmas present with wrapping paper (non-foiled/glittered) which unbeknown to me was wrapped in plastic then along with two other rolls wrapped in another layer of plastic :evil: Once you really start to take notice it makes you really cross. I did manage to find one set of wrapping paper in M&S that was non foiled and NOT wrapped in plastic (I also declined a bag and then when I got outside the shop it was pi**ing down so very difficult not to end up with soggy paper :roll: ) but when I got home I realised it included two plastic 'present toppers'!

ALSO last week I went into an independent shop to buy a birthday card and every single card in the shop was individually wrapped in cellophane. I bought something else and said to the lady 'You have some beautiful cards but it's such a shame they're all wrapped in plastic' she said that people won't buy them if they're not wrapped, I said surely they would because they used to and we'd get used to it again - she wasn't having any of it.

We seriously need to have a total change of attitude about all this completely unnecessary plastic that's it swamping everything. I agree some of the onus needs to be on manufacturers, but if we as consumers don't apply pressure things won't change.

*climbs down off soapbox*

I agree with everything you say Mullet. I participated in a sort of trial my trash collection agency: 100 families, 100 days, 100% trash free living. They changed the plastic recycle bins so that we can also recycle metal and drink cartons in them

It was very interesting, especially to figure out what can and what can not be recycled. I even switched to kitty litter that I can flush through the toilet. But trying to find items that are not pre-packed is almost undoable. I don't have time or energy to go to lots of different stores to buy my items without plastic.

Btw: you do get many plastic free cards in the Netherlands.

My sister and her husband have been down in our neck of the woods for a few days but are going to his parent tomorrow to stay up there for Christmas, so we had our Christmas today with them and my mum and then evening visit to my Dad and his partner. Has been absolutely lovely and a proper ‘Christmas’ - feels weird that no one else has done it yet!

Not really no. I’ve bought a duck to roast but it’s just going to be OH and I for most of the day so I expect we’ll exchange gifts with our morning cup of tea then either go for a nice walk or maybe go fishing (as long as the weather isn’t too bad) then my mum’s coming over to have the duck with us in the evening.

I'm not normally one for sales.......I tend to take the view that its only in the sale because no one else wanted it :roll: However, stopped at Sainsbury's yesterday and glanced at the children's sale rail on my way to the fruit and veg only to spot a pair of trackie bottoms for ES (which he needed anyway) half price :clap: I was so delighted I decided to have a rummage and found some nativity costumes reduced from £14 to £1 - got a cow, mouse (!) and donkey for the school dressing up box and now wish I'd bought more as the reception class loved them so much!

Sounds good. My grouse us the fact that so often the clothes are not on the right hangers. Average British woman is a size 16. On a good day I'm a 14. I spot a hanger where it says 14 pull it out and it's a 6. Who are these tiny women ? Of course now you will all be saying me me me. Either that or it's a size 22. :shock:

On another note the forum is so quiet. I was gobsmacked there was no Merry Christmas or New year threads. Hope you all had a good one. OH had the super cold which has lingered for ever so New year was a takeaway and film. The kids had deserted us. I had a small meltdown new years Eve and a few tears. OH bought me flowers. New year's Day was better. Christmas wasn't too bad I went up to pick up my aunt as I didn't want her on her own ( her husband died 2 yes back) . I drove and we went to see dad's new gravestone and then onto the pub before drive back down M1 to London. We had to make a detour back to her house as she'd forgotten her teeth :shock::lol: all in all a nice Christmas. Not a moan from aunt. She got on well with my friends elderly aunt when we visited them. Got stuck in the Wed traffic on M1 after the snow after taking her back.

Anyway happy new year. Ali xx

Yes Ali's girls it's me!!! And do you know how annoying it is that hardly anywhere actually does a 6 and so often when you see a hanger with a 6 on it it turns out to be a 10 :evil::lol: Different size and shape, same problems :lol:

And yes the forum is very quiet - in particular there's hardly anything chickeny but perhaps that because those of us who work anything like 9-5 never really see them!

On a different note, I already go to a fairly easy and totally unspiritual (don't do any sort of mysticism/ faith / religion / spirituality - science and evidence or nothing for me) yoga (Nathan with bits of iyengar and vinyasa mixed in) class once a week, but tomorrow morning I'm going to my first ever 'hot yoga' class. Has anyone ever tried it?

Chickens? What are those?? :wink:

Although I don't get to complain with two weeks off work. :roll: but it has been a very gloomy and wet two weeks! Aching for some sunshine!

You are a girl to my heart Mullet! Double blind and peer reviewed or I'm out! Did do some home yoga for a while, but decided I am not made for it. You have to have a certain size already to make everything fit when trying to fold yourself in most positions. :shock::lol:

The other thing is why no one makes in between sizes. jeans esp would be good in a size 13 for me. Size 14 is often baggy and a 12 I would have to stop breathing. I don't like belts as for a woman of a certain age I need to be able to undress quickly for a pee :shock: sorry to any guys reading. If your missus has had kids you will know where I am coming from . Glad you folks are all ok. Missed the forum over the break. I will be glad when it gets lighter seeing girlies by torch on phone isn't the same.

With you on the sizes, AG, a 13 would be perfect in jeans - pref with a nice high waist! Sizing is so mad anyway....I'm sure they have all shrunk! I am now same weight as 30 years ago (with LOTS of ups and downs in between :roll: ) but size 10/12 for trousers and 14 for tops. 30 years ago I was a 14/16 for everything and I'm sure that, all those years ago, there were never any 6 and 8 s - only 10 to 16 or an 18 if you went to S and M!

On a forum note, I tried to avoid the comp over the hols...I get into the habit of logging on to check my school Governor e mail (we have lots of refurbs going on at present as well as staffing issues so I'm often on x2/3 per day even over hols as that's when the workmen go in!) ES was ill with boy flu over Christmas then YS got it and OH and I felt ropey so tried not to do much!

Anyway....back into the fray :wink: