Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Drove past an 'Exotic Pet Shop' on the Isle of Wight today and they had a big notice in the window that read 'Tortoises Now In Stock - Hurry, Going Fast'.

My Mum's tortoise has come to stay and believe me he is FAST :lol:

I played a game with him today sweeping a broom across the grass and I couldn't believe how fast he chased after it :shock:

Don't know what on earth he thought it was :lol:

I've been doing this for the first time his year! I've been gleaning the ears of wheat that the combine didn't get and giving them to the chickens whole. It took them all of about 30 seconds to realise at if they peck them hard enough corn comes out!

When we were little my sister and I would go out with our gran, glean as many ears of wheat as we could, bash them in a sheet and then toss them in the air ( to separate the wheat from the chaff), grind up the corn in a coffee grinder to make rough flour and then make bread.

Totally pointless really but we enjoyed it :D

Blumming bees; one of OH's friends keeps a few hives on B's patch, they are normally pretty nice natured and never a problem. last week, it looked like one of the hives was defunct so they covered over the entry hole with a piece of plastic. The hole on the occupied, and very busy, hive was restricted by a similar piece with a small hole so that only one bee could enter at a time. Cue very busy and frustrated bees, which got very grumpy with us when we were working about 30 feet away. We decided to down-tools after one attacked me, was in my hair and down my top.

Any ideas why they restrict the entry like this?

......although, I was in a supermarket in Ironbridge and the queue was very long and slow. Elvis came on the radio singing 'we're caught in a trap'. I said very quietly to OH.... well, that's appropriate. The people in front of me and behind me laughed and joined in and there was lots of merriment. I can genuinely say we were taken aback. We even occasionally talk about it and here I am writing about it now! Although I might not be unfriendly I think our reaction says something about our normal environment. :lol:

Often to keep the queen in, so they can't swarm. Queens are a tat larger than workers, so can't go through the hole.

is it to keep the old queen in or new ones in to make it easier to the keeper to set up new hives

It could also to try to keep hornets or wasps out the guy that keeps a couple of hives on the allotment lost a hive twice in the last year or two to wasps

Having an amazing time in India!

Currently in Goa and flying to Mumbai this afternoon, don't have a laptop/great internet to post photos so will post when I get home next week but there are lots on Facebook and my blog if you want to have a nose before then

Hope everyone is well :D

It would be quite late in the year to split a hive, and you don't normally restrict the entrance - most likely is that it's to reduce the risks of wasps getting in, it makes it easier for the bees to defend the hive if there's only one at a time. However it's not essential to do this and if the hive is in a place like an allotment where there are a lot of people around, I'd have a word with them and say that it's causing problems.

You should be able to work alongside bees without any problem. It may be that there is something else making them aggressive, but they should take steps to sort it out.

Why is it that, when we go out as a family, I choose a handbag that will fit what I need to take comfortably then OH, ES and YS ALL say 'could you just put this in your bag for me please' and I am then left with a bag that won't close, weighs a ton and keeps bashing into things? Oh forget it, I'll just take a suitcase :roll::wall:

It would be quite late in the year to split a hive, and you don't normally restrict the entrance - most likely is that it's to reduce the risks of wasps getting in, it makes it easier for the bees to defend the hive if there's only one at a time. However it's not essential to do this and if the hive is in a place like an allotment where there are a lot of people around, I'd have a word with them and say that it's causing problems.

You should be able to work alongside bees without any problem. It may be that there is something else making them aggressive, but they should take steps to sort it out.

Just spoke to the beeks and it turns out that the invading wasps is the answer :D Had no idea about this at all, so a new fact learnt 8)

Ok - after reassurance here. I am a clumsy middle-aged woman of 55. In 2 months I have fallen out the shower of the Premier Inn, bruising elbows and head not to mention pride. I cried buckets as a week after dad's funeral and was feeling low. Fast forward where I jumped off a chair and damaged coccyx. Found it hard to sit for a few weeks. Today fell over a flex at work. Knocked ribs - sent home in pain as blood pressure rocketed and the noise I made falling was phenomenal. I was stone cold sober and spent this morning in WIC. No idea if fractured rib but bloody painful. I know this is nothing compared to say cancer just want to know if I am the only female Frank Spencer onthe planet.