Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

The whole thing was totally blown out of proportion, wasn't it? What a waste of everyone's time. How ridiculous; surely it could have been settled between insurance companies without having to go to court? I feel for you. Still, its over and done with now so...onwards and upwards!

Hurrah for the fete season :clap: Three to choose from this afternoon so we are going for the one with the biggest toy and book stalls - all a case of priorities! We love a good fete in our house; that's one of the beauties of country living....there's virtually one a weekend in the little villages from now 'till the end of June. The plant stalls are usually very good and the people who 'man' them are generally the growers so can give really good advice.

The only downside is that they do get very busy so just off to sharpen my elbows :wink:

Well ok - managed to print off Mondays list before computer crashed. All patients turned up and seemed glad we had and were willing to try and see them. Only one couldnt remember name of her pill :shock: the urge to scream " for bleep's sake woman you take it every day"

dreading Monday as its the busiest day and that wont stop the hoards coming thro doors cos the phones dont work. If I could get my hands on these guys I would insert a computer mouse where the sun dont shine. :shock:

My son and his girlfriend are visiting from Japan. It's really fun and last night I had all my kids with me for the first time in years. It felt like Christmas so we put up some lights and candles and I found some left over crackers for our big roast meal. :lol:

By the way, sorry I haven't joined in much lately, I got logged out and was too lazy to get a new password which is in fact quick and easy to do.

Fashion's - looking at YS's prom pics he looks handsome. I can't post pic on here no good at that.

OH and I went through the professional ones on school websites and several things caught our eye.

1 quiffs are in for the lads -regardless of what race you are white,black Asian or Oriental without a quiff you are not cool.

2 the girls all look 30 - so much flesh ( what's with side cleavage ladies) these are 15 and 16 year olds

3 also noticed any of the lads could star in Jersey boys or Motown the suits are what our dad's wore

4 we hooted with laughter at two lads who looked like the Krays :shock: needless to say YS was not amused. Lol.

I saw my first ever Stag Beetle yesterday.

Very handsome.

Hubby was surprised it was the first one I've seen saying that he had seen loads.

When I explained to him they were quite long and had big pincer like things he said "oh, I haven't seen one of those" :roll:

There were big mobs of sparrows and starlings in my garden yesterday. It was lovely to see them back in larger numbers.

Also getting sparrow hawks and seeing red kites and a fox took one of my chickens a couple of weeks ago. It feels like nature is having a good year around here. The garden has been very busy.

Same here!

Have a big mob of Jackdaws eating all the food including layer pellets of the chickens. Also some visiting doves and a family of starlings. The starlings had a nest in the roof and now dad is feeding his chicks in my garden. Sadly one of the chicks didn't make it and I found it dead in the garden. The other two are getting better at flying each day.

Never had so many birds in the garden in spring.

We are over run with red kites here...they were initially reintroduced just up the road from us at the foot of the Chilterns. Sadly people are feeding them and they are now getting very aggressive. ES school has banned children from eating outside as the kites come down and literally steal food direct from the children's hands. There have been some injuries too. They are a protected species so there is no way of controlling the burgeoning population; makes me more and more convinced that we really shouldn't mess with Mother Nature! They are a beautiful sight especially when there are dozens of them circling but I do worry that it won't be long before someone is hurt.

They are a protected species so there is no way of controlling the burgeoning population; makes me more and more convinced that we really shouldn't mess with Mother Nature! They are a beautiful sight especially when there are dozens of them circling but I do worry that it won't be long before someone is hurt.

The reason their population declined was due to human persecution and us messing with Mother Nature.

I regularly drive down to London and see dozens flying high above the motorway, an amazing sight 8)

We weren't too far from the Red Kite feeding station in Aberystwyth but I never actually visited! They're typically carrion eaters but as you say, people feeding them doesn't help. I've seen people feeding wild boar which can be really dangerous.

We had a juvenile wagtail hanging round last week, it walked up the path towards me as it was so preoccupied with the world it didn't notice me till it was about 10 ft away :D the next day I saw it being fed, then I watched it walk into a puddle which was quite deep, its parent sensibly stayed on the edge. I wonder if it is still in one piece!

Did you see the story about the UK ambassador to Austria who got chased by a wild boar last week :lol:

Soapdragon ..... I'm happy to report that in London we do actually have lots of fetes and villagey type events. I'm struggling to write this in a way that doesn't sound aggressive! I hope you don't read it that way. The great thing about London (and I guess other big cities) is that although people here identify themselves as Londoners each little town/village that eventually became greater London has a strong sense of identity, and we all have fetes and events that are relevant to that area.

Not sure what point I'm trying to make but I thought a lot after seeing your post about fetes and wanted people to see London differently.

I totally take your point, PL, and I'm sorry if I sounded anti city - that was certainly not my intention but I was posting as a county bod as that's where I've lived most of my life hence that is where my experience lies :wink: !

What I really meant was 'yipee, its fete time again' as I think that there there is something rather special about them....a bit like proper British asparagus or strawberries in that they only come once a year and their season is very short so we enjoy them whilst we can! Mind you, we may be persona non grata at Cuddesdon after YS lost control of one of his balls (so to speak) at the coconut shy and nearly hit the chap running it. The chap seemed quite staid initially but was certainly a nifty little mover when faced with a wooden ball bowled at him - well held that man! Something tells me he may transfer to the book stall next year 8)