Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Got a dress today for sons graduation. Debenhams had money off. The dress I wanted wasn't there but got a dress which has slight body com effect. I got a bolero to wear over top and some wedges. Was debating some 4inch heels but suspect I would end up walking like Julie Walters in Acorn antique s. :shock: I think spanx might be an idea and hope won't be too hot. I tried a dress on that made me look like a doll off a toilet roll holder. :lol:

I am hoping it's warm and not humid as with menopause flushes I find bras and spanx unappealing.

Congartulations :D today I screamed whilst in the garden. 'What is it, a snake?' asked OH slightly worriedly, (only slightly worriedly as he didn't come out to investigate, and we do have at least one snake). 'No, it slithered down my back against my skin....but it's alright it's only my hair scrunchy which has fallen off... :oops: ' What an idiot I am!

Also snake phobic so would've screamed too. The other morning sitting in bed we watched as a huge spider lowered itself down on a web over our bed and hovered. Our ginger cat watched mesmerised and did nothing. He reminded me of Flearoy off the advert.

Today we were having our hall decorated and the guy had a staffie/pitbull cross. It was a gentle soul and i am sure it could smell my fear buy as i tentatively stroked it. (I am not keen on dogs as they seem to take a dislike to me.) It likes to bark at everything and our postman was terrified when it went WOOf at him :lol:

//

Just been reading online about the terrorist attack in London last night - my thoughts are with all of those involved; civilians and emergency services. I used to live near there, and worked in London in the days of IRA bombings; it made me all the more determined not to let this sort of thing dictate our lives.

PL, I hope that your children are safe

sadly I don't think all have got out safely the reporters on the tv seem to be stopping short of comments about that side of things. there was at least one person still in there below the fire area at about 08:15 am

Terrible, terrible news - I used to walk past those blocks on my way to work when I had a job out that way - they were in a terrible state of repair then, and that was over 20 years ago. Any refurbs would have been 'gilding the poo' to paraphrase a popular saying. They should have been demolished ages ago.

I wonder if they are going to be able to reconcile the headcount; I hope that things have changed, but they used to be notorious for mass subletting. :(

it could be that the refurb 'helped' the fire take hold

I've don't work on a couple of fire damaged flats in high rise blocks were the flat was was burned back to the concrete and the window upstairs was burnt beyond repair but the upper flat was just smoke logged but the fire was contained by the front door which was a fire rated door but also the service ducts between floors still had the asbestos fire stopping in place

I've also seen blocks with the odd fire damaged flat were no other flat was damaged

I also remember a block were a couple of upper floors were hit by fire were the asbestos fire stopping had been removed and not replaced, that resulted in a change in the law which made not replacing in a crime and if I remember right the law was further tightened after a super market fire

Just awful news and the pictures are truly horrific.

How on earth a tower block can go up like that, and so quickly just beggars belief and it seems that the recent refurb may have contributed to the fire rather than making the building safer.

Those poor people, even those who got out alive have lost everything apart from the clothes they're wearing and I bet a lot of them won't have been able to afford insurance. Just so, so sad.

I sometimes think I would be a lot better off if I stopped watching the news, it's all so tragic and depressing. :(

Hmmm, a source tells me that the white insulation cladding used to tart up the outside of the building was under suspicion for not being fireproof, and conducting the fire up the building, which could have speeded up the spread of the fire. Apparently the website for the designers involved has 'gone down'. :roll:

in a couple of the live reports on the breakfast shows this morning there were shots of the cladding flaring up but by then the heat in the building could well negate any fire retardant properties any way.wooden fire doors only have a 1 hour rating at most and I think foam insulation is about the same

it depends on what the outer skin is but from a shoot I saw this morning the burnt remains looked like GRP with although takes a while to ignite will burn it also looked like timber battening behind the cladding with what looked like fire damaged insulation which even through if fire retardant will still burn once a fire like this gets going even when all the reliant building codes are met.

I have to say that personally I don't like this trend of insulating the outside of dwellings but understand why it's done . there's a lot of houses that haven't got a cavity that have had a 100mm 'slab' of insulation applied to the outside of them and the rendered the render is fire resistant.

at the end of the day most forms of insulation burn given big enough heat source and/or a long enough exposure time to a naked flame. the type of building construction has partly helped the fire build as it'll have held in the heat but it's also contained the fire to that building foot print by preventing a building collapse.

It's just horrible. I hate that it's happened and i hate that it's being used for political gain. It's a tragedy and a nightmare. I have never stopped feeling for the poor people trapped in NY in those huge towers and i will always feel the same for the people trapped in this. Well done to the emergency services who are so reliable and always try their hardest. They must be feeling so low and defeated right now. One death is a disaster.

The flats didn't used to have heating, so the insulation slabs were a double whammy in that they insulated when the new heating was put in, and they prettied it up too.

most of these type of blocks had under floor heating and a 2 bar electric fire around here but the UFH was very expensive to run so very few tenants used it. My dad's sister moved into a high rise in the early 70's she only used the UFH when it was really cold but she did benefit from the down stairs flat use theirs

the panels were designed to do both jobs. We were fitting them in new windows and doors in schools for the last 20 years 3 of my hen houses and runs have roofs made out of 'spares' from a couple of jobs

politicians have short memories when it comes to policies regulations they enacted way back when...

Had to laugh last night - got back from work and had just parked up when a posse of neighbours came over and asked if I had seen The Rat. Turns out that several of them had seen a very large rat in the street during the day - very unusual for one to be out in broad daylight.

Thought nothing of it, and what was i expected to do anyhow?

Carrying stuff in and said Ratty dawdled across the street, closely followed by scared neighbours, and hid under my car. I got down on my tummy and he was sitting there, bold as brass, very fat and very tame :roll: 'pet rat' I said and went in. Seems that I am expected to deal with it before the street party tomorrow.... now I think that all rats are vermin (apologies to any rat lovers/owners) and short of letting the dogs out to deal with it, what was I supposed to do? Had suggested that neighbours ask on facebook whether anyone has lost it, or would like it. Not seen him today, but reckon he might make a nice raffle prize at the party :lol: