Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Did you take that :shock: It's a great picture again, its got a very haunting quality, and is so realistic like a painting, its something to do with the flat matt appearance of the image and the muted grey tones. I also probably sound like an idiotically intense picture viewer, I don't mean to! I have no photographic skills whatsoever, and even less interest in the technical side, but there is something about your pictures which really appeals to me :D

Anyway, you are right about noise and sleeping, but I think its to do with double glazing, which we don't have in the UK. The Portuguese have a fixation about street lights, there is one directly outside the house even though its in the middle of nowhere! Fortunately we sleep at the back :D

We've always lived on main roads in Birmingham and I lived above the High St in Aberystwyth so I guess I've always been used to background noise. Here the road is fairly quiet at night and I sleep with the window open all year round but others always complain about the noise!

We stayed in a hotel in a city in Romania a couple weeks ago and we're woken to a cockerel crowing. It didn't even occur to me that it's unusual but others found it funny, especially in the middle of a city :lol:

I know what you mean - I sleep with all the windows open all year round, and it's pretty quiet here, but I am a light sleeper after about 3am, so when I've been to the loo, I tend to pop my earplugs in. Strangely, OH lives in the middle of nowhere, on the edge of a small village and I find the traffic past his house noisy... not sure why.

I couldn't live back in London or at my folks'; I just find it so noisy. :roll:

Redoing the base of the coop and run again. I'm moving it about 50 cm so they have more shade and I have more garden. Design is almost the same as last time, but this time done more professional thanks to the dad. :wink:

Chickens have been "helping" all afternoon and have now crashed in the run that is on the patio. Down and out and filled with worms. :lol:

I went to the robot exhibition at the science museum yesterday.

It was very interesting and thought provoking. After I went to Yo Sushi for lunch because that seemed right. The museums are a bit busy with school trips at The moment, end of term I guess but they should quieten down again soon.

pk6pvvwn.jpg

Just got back from ES's graduation in Bristol yesterday. Wonderful day despite us all being tired. Had the do in the morning and then met up with his g/f for lunch. went back to hotel for snooze then back to Bristol

town for dinner and then back to hotel. Bristol was sweltering and I had a fitted dress on with my Spanx to hold in tum. :shock: Took spare drawers in bag in case hot flushes or heat got too much. Forgot about security but there was a lady security guard so made a beeline for her. LOL. friend on F/B said I looked glam. Personally I felt I looked haggered. Lovely day. Long tiresome journey home as crash on M4. Did big dinner for 5 as OH's birthday - son;s g/f came home with us for a few days - saves her train fare. Shes a sweetie. And so to bed. Since dads death and holiday my sleep pattern has got worse. I feel I could sleep for 100yrs. :lol:

Sounds like you had a memorable time in Bristol AG :D you must have been such a proud Mum :D

I took to staying up till the small hours after my Dad died, most unlike me, you will get back to normal sleep patterns in time, I hope you manage alright till then :D

Have a go PL, we made some last year for the first time, and although it's red and a bit hefty and a tad on the sweet side, it's a darn sight nicer than some homemade wine I have been given around here :D a potato masher is your friend :lol:

My vine is absolutely bursting! It's a Boskoops Glory, which is a breed that starts white and turns blue when it ripens. But it has pips and I'm too spoiled with the pip free kind in the stores...

I ordered a new shade for the girls and it's the heavy duty one instead of the ordinary shade. Their original shade was very bleached and thin and the bungees all stretched out.

But I'm very pleased with the heavy duty shade. Feels much sturdier and up to the job.

I am just back from Asda shopping - I had put one bag of groceries into my car and as I did a seagull swooped down and took my bacon from the trolley beside me and went off with it - other people stopped and said they did not believe what they had just seen. Seagulls seemingly according to the customer service lady whom I went to see and received another bacon pack free are so protected they can do nothing about them and one worker had her ham taken out of the boot of her car!. The council will do nothing about them either and Asda have big nets up on the roof so they dont nest there but its nesting season just now and they have young to feed. Think I will be shopping in Tesco next time - they are vermin!. I would also be worried about a kiddie in the trolley with their big beaks! Gave me a fright anyway.

Same here with red kites! ES school have told them not to eat outside as there have been instances of these huge birds swooping down and stealing food out of student's hands. Again, they are protected so cannot be controlled but numptys round here feed them which just makes it worse! They should be eating carrion not people's leftovers :evil:

there's not a lot of difference between carrion and left overs to wildlife just left overs are easier to find especially in school play grounds. I worked on quite a few schools over the years and they were such a good source of food for birds that the magpies gulls and crows mainly would start cuing up on the fences trees and roof edges 4 or 5 min's before for the end of every break bell Monday - Friday term and holidays, so they got a chance to fill up on the snacks the kids discard the crisps type of snacks were the top prized snacks then the sarnies fruit last.

very rarely see them lining up on the weekend through

The fishermen used to gut the fish at sea and the gulls would get their feed there before the fishing boards landed - as there are less fishing boats then the seagulls have had to get inventive - I would be really worried about a child in the supermarket trolley with them swooping down to get the food - their claws and beaks are massive and can do much damage!. There are so so many of them they are not endangered at all so why they are protected I do not know. There was experiments somewhere where the birds were given something to control their breeding so why can they not do that with the gulls. They could even play hawk noises over a loudspeaker at various times during the day to keep them away!. I am sure they could get inventive.

I am sure they enjoy the school playground left overs but there again we as a responsible nation should be teaching our kids NOT to throw away food like they do and to put it in the relative recycling bins. Therefore we are the problem in not teaching them to recycle to the correct bins.