Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Ali, I feel your pain. I'm not a great housewife either but cat sick is always left in the most obscure places and it often seems to blend in with surroundings, until you tread in it :vom:

Claudette has had IBS - now mostly under control thanks to helpful advice from this forum - and then she had cystitis twice around Christmas. I don't think the carpet will ever recover. This is the point when my non-pet owning friends look completely baffled and say 'why ...? '. But we all know why - nothing beats a furry friend when you're feeling low.

My dad and brother are major coffee drinkers, I usually only drink it while I'm studying as I work best at night when it's quiet (and cooler in the summer).

Do some reading about cat behaviour Ali as that may help problem poos. The general advice for litter trays is number of cats plus one (Gary has one downstairs and one on the top floor). Water should be in ceramic not plastic bowls, away from food bowl (don't drink by carcass) and a foot away from the wall so they can drink facing the room (and not be attacked by predator).

Small changes can make a really bit difference :)

Oh goodness our local rescue centre has an adorable litter of golden retrievers all visually impaired. They are looking for experienced dog owners with one dog to take them. But sadly have stipulated no children under 12. I would agree no small children but perhaps older than 7, I would def apply. They are so cute am sure they will be snapped up.

Do some reading about cat behaviour Ali as that may help problem poos. The general advice for litter trays is number of cats plus one (Gary has one downstairs and one on the top floor). Water should be in ceramic not plastic bowls, away from food bowl (don't drink by carcass) and a foot away from the wall so they can drink facing the room (and not be attacked by predator).

Small changes can make a really bit difference :)

Also trying other types of litter, top on/off and temporarily placing a litter box on the doormat might help.

My cat has her issues too. You can only do one wee and poo in the box. Two wee's is fine, even three... but then there is no room for poo... so doormat it is... or bed if I'm really lucky. So I scoop at least twice a day, which does help her.

I use the clump forming litter, but she doesn't like all types.

Lovely eggs. Need to be admired not eaten.

I have read that before about litter trays and litter. We are using a new litter. Changed almost daily but she's the only one who uses regularly. The boys tend to perform outside. She's always had issues even with a clean tray. If she could c--p on the floor she would. She's a lovely little thing but half the ticket. I asked dad if he'd like her but he was not to be tricked. Drat :wink: poos on the bed. Catstails - that would a poo too far.

Lovely eggs. Need to be admired not eaten.

I have read that before about litter trays and litter. We are using a new litter. Changed almost daily but she's the only one who uses regularly. The boys tend to perform outside. She's always had issues even with a clean tray. If she could c--p on the floor she would. She's a lovely little thing but half the ticket. I asked dad if he'd like her but he was not to be tricked. Drat :wink: poos on the bed. Catstails - that would a poo too far.

Mine is far from brilliant. Even the vet said she must be somewhat mentally challenged as het head is rather small. But she is the sweetest thing ever. Sleeps under the covers with me every night with her head on the pillow next to mine. She has never ever scratched or bitten me. She rather cleans my forehead in my sleep... :roll:

Cats tails - our cat has a small head. She used to be rotund but has slimmed down as shes got older(vet has ruled out any health issue - sadly cant say same for me I have fattened up with age :lol: ) OH when told Honey cat was overweight replied "shes got a small head" :shock: Vet harumphed and looked unimpressed. Suspect Lewis (if hes on forum) has heard all these excuses before from pet owners.

I have to say 4 litter trays in our small house would be a nightmare - we'd have to move house - i might try an extra one. Honey also licks my hair and grooms me - I suspect she thinks I am an unruly large kitten. :wink:

Cats tails - our cat has a small head. She used to be rotund but has slimmed down as shes got older(vet has ruled out any health issue - sadly cant say same for me I have fattened up with age :lol: ) OH when told Honey cat was overweight replied "shes got a small head" :shock: Vet harumphed and looked unimpressed. Suspect Lewis (if hes on forum) has heard all these excuses before from pet owners.

I have to say 4 litter trays in our small house would be a nightmare - we'd have to move house - i might try an extra one. Honey also licks my hair and grooms me - I suspect she thinks I am an unruly large kitten. :wink:

The cat pension actually thought she was a kitten the first time around. That's how small she is... :roll:

Those are incredibly helpful cat tips, Lewis, thank you :D Sadly we have been feline free for a couple of years now, and the house is much much cleaner without all that fur, but boy do I miss them :( at some unspecified point in the future, which will probably have to wait till we leave Portugal as it is so darn hot for furry friends, I will be scooping up all the rescue cats I can persuade OH to tolerate. In an ideal world we would have 3 mogs, although he is not over keen on so many! At the mo, there is a cat going spare over the road from where we live in the UK, but I don't think I can whisk her off to Portugal, it's too disruptive. She is a beauty tho, the ideal cat, all fur and purr :D

A mini rant about birthday cards. I've just been shopping and thought I'd buy a couple of cards for imminent birthdays and also refill my stock of 'everyday' cards.

Why are so many of the adult cards on a theme of drinking, getting drunk or getting a hangover? It seemed as if every card I picked up was about wine, G&T or champagne. I like a drink but I'm past the age where I think getting drunk is either fun or funny, and I have a couple of friends for whom this is really inappropriate. Most of the other 'female' cards seemed to be about cake or dieting, again not suitable for one of my friends who's really struggling at the moment. And don't get me started on the price ... :shock:

I managed to find some inoffensive and cheap, I mean good value, ones in a well-known 'factory' shop in the end. I don't go shopping very often these days, thankfully. Rant over!

I get fed up trawling the shops for cards that cost a fortune and are not really suitable for the intended recipient - I found a company called Whistlefish http://www.whistlefish.com who do some lovely cards and you can easily get ten cards for £10 (often less when they have promotions on, but you do need to buy at least ten to get them at a good price). I stock up on these from time to time - they're not suitable for everyone but the choice is huge and I like to maintain a stock of cards for various occasions as it's not always that easy for me to get to the shops at short notice.

Might be worth a look for other Omleteers!

Thanks for that, Bramble - that looks like good value. I like to keep a stock of cards in because usually when I realise there's an impending birthday it's when I haven't got time to go shopping. Then I end up paying extortionate prices because I have no choice! One of my friends makes beautiful individual cards and I don't mind paying for those (although they're still cheaper than some of the mass-produced tat). I'd love to make my own but I'm trying not to introduce any more new hobbies.

I was in Whistlefish in Devon at the weekend, it's an incredibly good value shop with loads of gorgeous things :D My friend bought 2 enormous framed prints for £20 each in a sale 8) and the cards are really nice and excellent value :D

Yesterday I found a lizard basking in our wall and today I found a slow worm in the compost. Spring :D

I always resort to ordering FunkyPigeon cards online as trying to find English cards here would be difficult and then going to the post office is a faff. They are so expensive though, ordered one this week and it was £3.59!

We've been on two farm trips this week collecting blood samples, vaccinating, mastitis testing, TB testing and hoof trimming first in cattle and today sheep and goats. We're there so often that we're almost pro's now :wink:

Nice to be outside in the fresh air and always good to be doing practical work!

Feeling sorry for myself tonight 'cos everyone is out for St Patrick's day but I have an exam on Monday so I'm staying in to study ...have ordered sushi so can't complain :D