soapdragon

'''Hedge Trimming''''

Inverted commas are due to the fact that I drove to pick up boys from school yesterday to see a tractor with extended arm ''cutting'' hedges. Except that it wasn't......the hedges had been ripped and looked raw and rough. They did not impinge on the road and there was no need to cut them but it made me feel really angry to see the rough and ripped branches of the hedges :evil:

Why is this felt to be necessary? There are plenty of lanes that need the grass trimming at junctions but this absolute rape of the branches is not at all appropriate and does not help at all with regard to road safety so why do it and waste resources?

I HATE the raw branches and twigs left and feel outraged; this happens so often round here but is just not justifiable....it destroys habitats and looks awful! :twisted: Makes me SO angry; sorry to vent but just don't see the point :twisted:

it is necessary if it's not done then the hedges just get over grown and cause a hazard to motoring and non motoring traffic and even through it looks brutal it is beneficial to the hedgerow as it promotes new growth both to the existing 'trees' and new seedling by letting light get to the base of the hedge row which in turn extends the life of the hedgerow it just unusual to see it done this time of year it's usually a mid summer job but I suppose as the bird nesting season is getting longer they've had to do more winter pruning

It's quite interesting round here, some years the hedges appear ripped to pieces other years they are beautifully neat, this year they look really smart. I often wonder whether it's the skill of the tractor driver or whether the machinery blades are sharp enough.

I would like to have the courage to ask but I don't like the idea of tackling the tractor driver with that great big cutting arm waving over my head :anxious::lol: .

Try not to fret, it is entirely necessary as SJP says. Without the annual cut, the bushes would very soon get totally out of hand. We have over 100m of mostly mixed native hedging and it grows between 4 and 10 foot a year in all directions, (depending on variety) because after all hedges are mostly trees, but we want to keep them cut down to become hedges. Its a real job to cut it - we usually do it about now, the one time I had to get somebody in to do it it cost about £700 and took 2 men 2 days with chainsaws, so in a sense we are lucky that farmers take on the work. But without the cut the bushes would just get leggier and sprawlier, so they would be a real safety hazard. They also lose their vigour over time so they wouldn't be so good as sources of habitat, the leaf cover would be patchy for a start.

I bet in the early summer you wouldn't know the hedges had been cut, they'll be clothed in green and home to lots and lots of insects, small mammals and birds :D I was chatting to a hedge cutter a couple of months ago - he was doing a recce of the hedges as he was going to cut that day, but there was a local event on so he cancelled his work with a lot of visitors :D Whilst we chatted, loads of people came up to say hello to him and he and I talked a lot about birds and wildlife; he was a proper countryman, embedded in his local small town - I felt pleased to have met him :D

I don't have a problem with hedges needing to be cut back...thats good land management but its the fact that they are left looking mangled, raw and ripped. As others have said, maybe this is down to the equipment used but it does look so brutal. Also stick an branches get left all over the road.

Equally, I can't understand why grass on verges on country roads gets cut back when its not causing a hazard (junctions need to be kept mown so that visibility is at an optimum, obviously) but it does seem a waste of energy, effort and money to cut a foot or so along a verge during the summer.....agree with PL on that one in terms of habitats too!

Will wait to hear.... :anxious: but am now quite anxious and embarrased that I have caused offence :oops: if so, it was only through ignorance :roll: I think that I might have worked it out but really thought that was another kind of shrub mostly found in gardens :think::shock:

I used the title that seemed most appropriate given the subject so, again, appols if I have put my foot in it (clearly I have lead a very sheltered life :boohoo: )

Um, I seem to live a very sheltered life. I didn't know there was an alternative meaning!

Anyhooo, yes I think the blades must be blunt. Some I have seen look really good and orderly. Last Friday I was going to a local farm and it looked like the machine was shredding the hedge not trimming it. And as a consequence the lot was flying all over the place and all over the road. Huge branches in places. Cars were having to swerve to avoid them.