Ain't Nobody Here

Operation tomorrow - it worked!

Off to hospital tomorrow morning to have a stapedectomy on my left ear which should restore my hearing. It's been a long time coming, I've been putting it off for years and years but have at last decided it's worth getting done as it has a very good success rate. General anaesthetic and in overnight then 2 weeks off work (slightly embarrassing as I've only been there 4 weeks :oops: ).

Just hope I don't regret it when I can no longer sleep through OH's alarm at 5.30am or wild windy weather in the middle of the night :lol: .

Edited by Guest

It was a bit of a shambles at the start. Went in at 7.30, was told the op would be at 9am but then was told they didn't have a piece of "kit" they needed and I'd not be taken till after lunch :roll: . Had to wait 6 hours but was taken eventually at 2pm. The op took an hour and I came round very quickly afterwards, a little woozy but felt fine quite quickly. It went well apparently and they let me go home with OH at 8pm as I wasn't feeling sick or dizzy and my BP etc was fine. Feeling a little discomfort but a lot better than I expected. Everything I do seems to reverberate through my head which is odd and eating is very noisy but just feeling sleepy now.

Thanks for your nice messages xx

Glad it went well. You might feel a bit down after the anaesthetic. Did you come out with any verbal rubbish whilst coming round. When in recovery as a nurse we often had proposals of marriage from blokes coming round and learnt all their little secrets, some thought they were in heaven but we put them right on that. :lol: I found sedation weird (had for my gastroscopy) and I had a dream about this long thing pushing through cells. Obviously my sub conscious whilst not fully asleep.

I think I was lucky, I wasn't even aware of the moment that I was going under. I woke up very quickly (according to the nurse) and just felt like I'd been asleep. Really thirsty though and got through about 3 jugs of water :lol: . No dizziness or unsteadiness going to the loo and wolfed down a surprisingly tasty tea 8) .

Slept quite well last night and don't really have any pain this morning, just a bit of discomfort. I might quite enjoy my 2 weeks off work :lol: .

Glad it all went well. Big step getting used to hearing everything in full. On the plus side you can now say you have eyes in the back of your head when you pick up some naughty little utterings from the young'uns who are used to getting away with naughties! :lol:

When I had my broken ankle I also felt as though I'd woken up, saw the lady sitting by me and I said oh you must be my guardian angel - not that I thought I was elsewhere but she was checking that I was OK - and I was!