Charlottechicken

Reed diffusers

I've been a bit reckless with my money and recently purchased two Yankee Candle reed diffusers for the new lounge and bedroom. OH insists that a bedroom should always smell like a woman, all pretty and floral :shock: (no comment!)

I paid £9.99 for my reed diffusers and bought them in preference to candles, which always smell different when they are burning and make me cough, and I'm not happy with the paraffin wax ones either. We've got the midnight jasmine in the bedroom, which is really subtle and very sleep inducing, and sweet pea in the lounge.

After a visit yesterday to Charlecote Park, where they had the most gorgeous smelling reed diffusers for sale in the NT shop for £20, I'm wondering who makes the best reed diffusers?

So the question is, do you use reed diffusers, and if so, which brand and are you prepared to say how much you pay?

I love reed diffusers 8)

But first, scented candles.

Have you ever tried St Eval candles? They are a new discovery of mine, & I am hooked!

They smell fabulous, even when they are not burning....the Bay ones, the Bergamot & Nettle, & Seasalt are my favourites.I tend to burn tealights, but they do some wonderful looking terracotta pot candles too.

Reed diffusers: DON'T get the Glade ones, as they are useless.

It is worth spending a little more, as the better ones do last longer & smell better, in my opinion.

I love the Kew Gardens ones, & the Di Palmo, both of which are available from a large high street department store.

A slightly cheaper one which is also very good, is the RHS one, which Waitrose sell. Also the Prices ones are nice too, especially 'Open Window'

There, that must have given you some food for thought! :lol:

I love reed diffusers! My sister in law got me a Sophie Conran one for a present a year or so ago, and I have run out of the oil, which I am very sad about as it is a gorgous scent. I have only bought the Glade ones, as the others a bit out of my price range. I have also discovered St Eval and the sea salt one is incredible! I didn't buy it, but I will do next time I am in the shop.

I bought the Wax Lyrical diffuser - wild honeysuckle from Boots last year. It was gorgeous. First proper honeysuckle scent I've smelt for ages. Mine was in the dining room but it wafted around the hallway - not complaining - it was nice to come home to! Prefer the diffuser to candles, although I've been introduced to WoodWick and the candles crackle - my daughter had a long one that they were using like a fireplace - very effective flame.

I love scented candles and reed diffusers. I buy some and actually find Sainsbury do very nice and relatively cheap ones. Last summer they had summer scented ones in candy coloured packaging which were pretty good.

I bought the reeds, glass bottles and essential oils and base oil to create my own which is quite nice fun. They're not quite as strong as prepared ones but still nice.

I also love scented candles but worry about the flame so using them is a bit limited and I like the aromas to be wafting about all day.

My favourite product though is my oil vapouriser/ aroma diffuser which is electric and gently hums with pretty lights. I can mix any combination of essential oils according to my mood, currently I have Eucalyptus and Lime which is very refreshing.

When people come through the front door they comment on the nice smell which is important to me.

I got my kit for my reed diffusers and my vapouriser from Amazon.

Another St Eval fan here...been using them for 20 plus years! The Inspiritus is divine and the Sea Salt is amazing! Spring Flower is nice but can be a bit heady...think hyacInths! They use natural waxes and so are 'safe'! They do reed diffusers of most of the scents as well.

I club together with a couple of friends and buy from Casa Candles in Scotland...they are def the cheapest - even more so than St Eval direct for tea lights. Their min order for free postage is £40....easy to do! Fast delivery too. Havn't tried reed diffusers as I prefer to light a tea light which lasts for about 4 to 5 hours and then change fragrances if I feel like it whereas reed dfifusers are a bit more constant.

I do like them but the oil is extremely toxic to cats and can burn their skin if they knock it over.

Really? That's worth knowing.

I was wondering whether to go down this route as candles are not a safe option with my two lively Siamese.

Might have to stick with the plug in things instead then :roll:

We had a nice frankincense one from Vinegar Hill at Christmas. I have expensive taste when it comes to reed diffusers. I hate artificial cheap fragrance. I have a very sensitive sense of smell, so can only have a couple of reeds in the bottles at a time. We did buy white linen from Tesco a while back and that was ok though.

Charlottechicken...I havn't come across any big chain type places that stock them but you could try asking them if there is a stockist near you. They are very helpful and cheerful on the telephone! If you Google them it gives you the option to 'phone or e mail.

I like the Wild Gorse which is slightly coconut and a bit more vanilla without being over sweet.......just like real gorse, in fact! Sea Salt is amazingly like being on a windswept beach and always makes me think of our Devon seaside hols!

We bought the very first ones from The Commandery in Worcester - not sure how close you are or if they still stock them? We were doing a Civil War re enactment in the grounds and, when I unpacked everything, I found I had forgotten the candles for the tent in the evenings so sent OH into the shop to see what they had!