Luvachicken

Meet my new gang.

1 hour ago, AndyRoo said:

SQUUUUUEEEEEE!!!

They're really cute. Are they bantams? Or just small breeds?

Pekins of course :wink:

I didn't know until Monday that frizzle Pekins even existed :oops:

I wasn't intending to get the frizzle ones but when the breeder sent me the pictures, I couldn't resist.

• Like 3

Bit worried that I may have given the chicks the wrong bedding.

When they came in the box they had wood shavings but I have given them aubiose instead.

Of course, they tread in their poops and then the aubiose sticks to their feathers on their feet.

I get the bits off every day, but today, I did notice that some of the tiny bits of aubiose are really quite small and could possibly poke into their skin.

I don't think any has punctured their skin but gets quite close and could be irritating.

After I took all the bits off, Nellie kept holding her foot in the air, so I had another look and found a tiny bit that could have been poking her.

Should I keep using the aubiose ?

Another thing, do they need chick grit ? I only have Gourmet Grit. The lady I got them from said they don't need any grit.

Also, they keep nibbling the newspaper I put for them to poop on. They see a flappy bit of newspaper and literally go mad over it.

What kind of toy could I give them to keep them busy and stop them eating the paper ? I don't want to make them ill from the paper. 

Chicks reared under a broody would be running around causing all kinds of trouble so I wouldn't worry about them getting poked with Aubiose, they're really quite hardy.

They don't need grit while they're on crumb, mine usually start getting grit when they start free ranging with my flock at 14-18 weeks. They don't need toys, the newspaper is probably them making their own enrichment :lol: 

We only once put chicks onto Aubiose and it cut their feet to pieces Luvachicken. It went under their toe scales and we had blood everywhere. Their toes had to be bandaged up and the Aubiose was replaced with small rodent wood shavings.

We give ours grit when they switch to rearer pellets at 6 weeks. You can either buy small bird grit or sieve out the standard stuff and give them the little bits.

I used Easichick bedding for all 3 lots of mine which is like small wood chip. It was fine but I don’t know how it compares to aubiose.

I did give them chick grit from a couple of weeks old but I would definitely bow to Lewis’ superior knowledge on that one.

Mine totally trashed the newspaper too. I’m not sure they ate that much of it (Duck my grown up Pekin loves trying to eat any sort of paper now 🙄) but they loved to rip it to bits 🤣 

In their box mine had a dust bath, a brick to clamber around and jump on and off, and usually a broccoli floret to peck at.

What else has Nellie been up to?

11 hours ago, Lewis said:

Chicks reared under a broody would be running around causing all kinds of trouble so I wouldn't worry about them getting poked with Aubiose, they're really quite hardy.

It's just that they have such soft little feet.....

10 hours ago, Beantree said:

We only once put chicks onto Aubiose and it cut their feet to pieces Luvachicken. It went under their toe scales and we had blood everywhere. Their toes had to be bandaged up and the Aubiose was replaced with small rodent wood shavings.

Nothing has happened to their feet yet, but your description sounds quite scary.

How old were the chicks ? Mine are about 6 weeks.

25 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

I used Easichick bedding for all 3 lots of mine which is like small wood chip. It was fine but I don’t know how it compares to aubiose.

What else has Nellie been up to?

I had Easichick bedding once before but I can't remember what it was like either.

Nellie is the biggest and heaviest - twice the weight of dear little Peggy - she just runs up and down the cage like a mad thing. I hope she is not going to turn into a boy.

I have nicknamed her as Naughty Nellie :lol:

• Like 1

Aubiose is crushed hemp plant stems I think? There are sharp slivers of stem in there. 

It was cream legbars we had Luvachicken, around 5 or 6 weeks old. The problem was made worse by them pecking at the blood on each others toes. The aubiose got under the scales by the claw and tore some of them off. This little girl ended up with two toes bandaged; as you can see she wasn't impressed. Nicknamed 'buckets'.DSCF0015.thumb.JPG.272476a5863b336e3a41951b616b15a2.JPG

• Like 2