loumabel

Upset and Very Embarrased

I have been on Holiday for the last 6 days and my parents have been looking after my chooks. Apparantely 2 hours after we had left my Dad was checking on them and found one of my ex batts Violet dead in the nest box, she had been happily eating and scratching around when we let them out that morning so I was really shocked that she went so quickly, she had not looked poorly at all so I am not sure what happened. Poor girl had only had 6 weeks of freedom.

We then got home late last night and my Mum and Dad said that Dotty my little light sussex bantam had been sitting hunched all day, they had given her some nutri drops and popped her in the nest box to sleep. This morning I went to let them out and she was gasping and retching yellow liquid up. I immediately rushed her to the vet and unfortunately he suggested she be PTS, he was not sure what was wrong as we have been battling an unidentified problem with her for several weeks now and she has had four courses of antibiotics but nothing did the trick. I am so embarrased because I sobbed in the vets room when he said the time had come for Dotty, please tell me I am not the only one that has cried over a chicken :oops: I feel very silly

I am sure loads of us have been there. I was inconsolable when I lost my first chook Maggie; in August when I rushed Amy to the vet after she was mauled I was crying so hard my best friend had to interpret for the emergency vet and then 2 days later when hubby and I took her to our own vet I was in tears again when he told us how well she was doing. And, OK, it wasn't in front of my vet, but on Friday last week when my son phoned to tell me we had lost my old lady Annie, I shed a few tears in front of my work colleagues. No need to be embarrassed about loving a member of your family!!

Don't feel embarrassed, it shows how sensitive and caring you are.

I cried over my 2 girls that got pts in the spring, and I still think of them now, even with 4 more.

I cry when I watch Dumbo, when Mrs Jumbo gets put in the prison train, and I cry when Rose calls out Jack's name in the freezing water in Titanic. Strange how I always need the toilet at those moments - now, thats embarrassing :oops: ( and I'm over 40 :oops::oops: )

For various reasons my vets have seen me in tears more often than anybody except my OH and as we live next door to them and we go out socially its a good job I'm not embarrassed :shock: Last time when I couldn't bring myself to deal with a favourite hen I was even comforted by an old gentleman in the waiting room :oops: Vets are very used to it and they are compassionate people, which is why they are vets.

Death is a shock, and its natural to weep. Don't feel bad or silly. We all do it. I'm sorry to hear you have lost 2 girlies recently, its a lot to cope with.

I have never lost any of mine but I know that I will be distraught when the time comes. I have never had any animals before,...Cats scare me (one was thrown at me as a child) dogs I am afraid of, ( because my mum was and it rubbed off )

My girls i just love and apart from my OH they are the ones I bare my soul to when need be. It is a good job they can't gossip they know secrets :lol:

So don't be embarrased but you are allowed to be upset. They were family.

I do agree with everyone else when they say it's normal to cry in situations like that. I once started crying in the vets waiting room when I looked out of the window and saw a couple leave the surgery with their dog that had just been PTS. We have lost 2 of our girls this year and both times I have been inconsolable and if we'd been at the vets I know for sure that I would have burst out crying and I'm sure they are used to pet owners doing that. So sorry to hear about your girls, it's so awful when you lose them like that :?

I cried when Daisy my sons fiercesome bunny was put to sleep - she didnt like me and bit my leg but I had nursed her when she was ill. I was fine till the nurse handed me a tissue with kittens on it - that was when the floodgates burst. So don't worry vets and staff are used to it and lets face it out chucks are a big part of our lives - big hugs Ali

So sorry to hear about your two girls. Six weeks of freedom is still six glorious weeks, and it sounds like she went without suffering.

Don't be embarrassed about crying. It's natural to cry over a much loved pet. People who haven't had the joy of owning chooks perhaps don't understand, but that's their loss.

I've bawled over each and every chook that I've lost over the last 4 years.

Don't feel embarassed Loumabel, I cried at the vet's both times when 2 of my girls had to be PTS, even when I was really expecting it to happen. I've even shed a few tears in the waiting room when a couple brought their cat to be PTS and they carried her out wrapped in a blanket afterwards, I'm so soppy.

My OH very rarely cries, you can count on the fingers of one hand the times I've seen him cry in the 12 years we've been together but even he cried when Roxy was seriously injured a few years ago!

This thread has brought tears to my eyes - because of everyone's touching stories as well as my recall of all of the times I've cried over rats, mice, dogs, guinea pigs and chickens .... because I loved them all so much. I'm so glad that I can say that I was there for them as long as I owned them and especially if and when they needed help at the end.

*Hugs* to everyone.

Don't be embarassed...it's perfectly natural....and you won't be the first or last person your vet has seen in tears.

I was always a big softy about animals, but fine with most other things until I had children... I now freely admit that even 20+ years later I cry at Tom and Jerry on a bad day :(