Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

I’ve had three operations, but they discovered the problem had ended up as arthritis of the knee cap.  Knee replacement wouldn’t help.  Replacement of the patella has poor success rate. I just manage my lifestyle now. Easier since I retired.   Avoid lots of stairs.  I used to drive 35k miles a year as well.  Now just toddle around.   Message to the younger generation; look after your knees! 

• Like 2

OH has arthritis in his knee - always aggravated by long car journeys into work, especially with the roadworks.  He has been to physio lately (latest one is his shoulder - he's becoming a bigger wreck than me!) and he has several exercises to do to strengthen the muscle to cope - apparently - he walks with an elasticated band around both knees and semi crouch walks.  Looks hilarious - a bit like a thin Sumo!  But if it works then it's all worth the putting up with the sniggering wife who chases after him to pinch his botty!

Funny you should mention it, I've been studying hard(ish) since Easter, sat at my desk studying most days and for the last couple of weeks has been for ~12hours a day. The last couple of days my left knee has definitely been feeling it 😬 so have ebeen making an effort to change positions and sit on the bed :lol: 

Our new Dexter and sheep friends go to Pilates classes every week.  They need to be in good working order with their little farm!  But then they are already super-fit, run and cycle a lot.  Years ago I did the cycle machines at the gym - my knees got so painful I had to stop that - although I was fine with the rowing and other things.  At the moment I'm getting a pretty good upper body workout - shovelling and filling a wheelbarrow then wheeling it up and down the hill and then shovelling and raking all over again!  My back hasn't played up once, so it must be doing something good!

I read that as the Dexter’s and the sheep go to Pilates 😂 

I’m reasonably fit as I have to walk a lot for my job which is generally quite physical, but I took up running a few years back and my knees don’t like that at all. Up to 5k I was ok, but as soon as I tried to start going further than that my knees said no. They’re not the best piece of ‘design’ really.

Ditto imagined sheep and diddy Dexters doing pilates :lol:

I'm on my feet all day in the clinic which is usually fine but my back really struggles doing procedures/surgery on waist height tables which are generally perfect height for female vets/nurses and not me! I've learnt to baggsy the adjustable tables and position the animal properly.

They are very fit animals!:lol:

It is a pain when the tables are the wrong height.  Even the old greenhouse and potting up used to kill my shoulders, until I used an old freezer tray, put it upside down on the workbench and popped the potting tray on the top.  Perfect!  This one has been built for me and is higher - I've not had any problems apart from the upper shelf being too high for picking up a watering can and getting it to tip.  OH helped and lowered it but I now have a gap at either end, so that'll be space for a tall plant on the lower bench!  With the old kitchen we had a Belfast sink which I loved - except to use it I had to stand with my feet well apart.  It wasn't ideal, although the counter tops were spot on.  Ironing board is one that lifts higher - that's much more pleasant to use.  I'm not particularly tall, but it must be far worse for those who are!  Here I think the previous occupant was a blooming giant - the cupboards are so high!  I have to use a big flat spoon like a drainer to poke things out and then they drop and I catch the items!  

Pilates is wonderful (probably even for four legged ones though some of the moves may be a tad tricky ;)) It has really helped me with core strength and there is a real mix of ages at the class I go to in the village. Youngsters in lycra, me in whatever is clean, some ehem, far more mature ladies who are very flexible (can't do Tuesdays!) and one VERY mature chap who hobbles in every week and does brilliantly in spite of being probably in his early 80's (either that or he's had a VERY hard life!)

I try and do 10 mins or so every evening (easy whilst I'm watching tele) and have noticed  that I am less 'crunchy' and 'creaky'!

There is a class locally so I'll see if OH is game - or perhaps we'll wait until his shoulder is sorted.  Today I played on Bumblebee so that he could rest it.  I ran over the hosepipe in the field (he didn't say to stop mowing) on the way to the compost bin - it's only the connector, so we'll be going to a garden centre tomorrow.  Win win!  I need wood chips for the path in the greenhouse.  Then I had a close encounter with a plum tree - had to duck and I still have twigs in my hair - just felt another bit!  I think the worst was lifting the clippings into the bin with the leaf collector.  Was fun though, and he was really happy that I volunteered because he'd been worrying about doing it.  I think he was even more worried I'd take over completely and he'd never get to play on it ever again!  :lol:

They are literally busy bees! Absolutely unperturbed by me sitting there. I only planted the alliums last fall and only planted the other border plants this spring, although the aquilegia is just self seeding itself all through the garden.

• Like 1

I've had a crosstrainer for maybe 6 weeks. I'm very pleased with the difference it's making. I enjoy using it so I've hardly missed a day. Things like walking up hills, my general stamina have improved so much in such a short time. We've also got a treadmill and an exercise bike but this has definitely been the best machine for me. 

• Like 1

I have a stepper that I use for 20 mins every day - I find it much gentler on the poor old knee joints than pounding the pavements running. It's positioned in front of the small tele in the bedroom (only time that tele ever gets used) so that I can stomp away whilst watching Tony Robinson, Phil Harding, Mick Aston et al (good old al!) I also have hand weights of 3k that I use every evening whilst watching tele (honestly - makes it sound as though I'm glued to the screen all bloomin' day - I'm not...really!) for upper body just to balance things out!

The thing with excercise it to find what works for you and go with it; I know lots of people who started some form of fitness regime only to give it up pretty quickly because it didn't fit with their lifestyle, they didn't enjoy it or they found it too much of a fag. 

• Like 1