Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

My pond which was ruined by rats, when we lifted the lining out it had several holes and a couple of tunnels. I've replaced it with a solid bucket and solar waterfall. Not the same as a proper pond but still a bit of water that I can keep an eye on easier. Unbelievably there was a dead rat floating in the lower part this morning. I manned up and got rid of it but I did feel a bit vommy.

I think that we lost a couple of ours to a heron last year, we had a punctured liner too. We have refined and have some new fish. So far so good. Our pond is very close to the house with a fountain in the middle and we also have some shells on strings attached to a cane leaning over the pond to help deter invaders.

Oh my! I'm horrified! Have I really got that old?

A young woman offered me her seat on the tube!!!

I'm only mid-fifties and the funny thing is that I was feeling pretty buzzing. Didn't even want to sit down.

I don't know what she was thinking, I was of course very charming but there was no way I could accept her offer.

She wasn't being mean because a mean person would hang onto her seat, it was hot and busy on the tube tonight and so I think she was genuinely being nice.

I took a closer look in the mirror tonight I can tell you.

:lol: had that experience a few times! I almost always said no, very politely of course. If a seat becomes vacant and someone offers me first option I'd accept though - funny isn't it, there'd be times when I was feeling desperate to sit down but I couldn't let someone give up their seat to me!

:shock::lol:

Welcomed my DS back from his three week break with his girlfriend in the U.S. He has had a great time with water sports, baseball games etc and has now met most of her family over there. I am very proud of him, he seems to have charmed them all which is quite something for a boy who is very shy and a natural loner. I don't think that his primary school teachers would recognise him now :D

My DS 16 almost 17, has just heard from a job he applied for, his first ever application, and he has got an interview! He almost didn't realise and actually thought he'd messed up the online application (Waitrose) but he charged his mobile phone for the first time in many weeks and he had a voice mail from them, only left three days ago thankfully and he applied over 3 weeks ago. Just hope they don't ask him to work over the bank holiday weekend, although he could do the Monday, as he is away at a gaming convention for that weekend, and it's all booked and paid for :anxious:

Awww, what sweeties!

I've had a busy day; up with the lark to walk the dogs, then on to the farmer's market. Came back via the local supplier to pick up a sack of pellets, and ended up talking to a lady who had taken in a chicken with a poorly foot; it clearly has bumblefoot, but her vet, who didn't know anything about chickens had suggested she have it PTS :shock: and then charged £30 for that advice! It really needs draining and cleaning up, so gave her the details of local chicken vet. They had some guinea fowl in a - noisy little beggars; they are a special order for a big house locally. Half were the normal black and white, and half were a pretty ghostly grey, never seen that colourway before, and they are quite pretty.... for guineas.

Car windscreen hit by a stone this morning, and then split across :roll: so have sorted a replacement to be fitted on Wednesday at the office. Also shopped around for a good deal on the renewal of my mobile phone contract and got that sorted, new phone arrives on Tuesday, which is a good job as the battery is failing in mine!

Phil brought his mum and aunt up for tea, and we took them out, and I walked the dogs while they got the teas and cheese scones in. After they'd gone, I mowed the lawn, emptied one composter, shook down the remnants and emptied the good stuff out of t'other one, then put all the dross in the bigger container to rot down.

Was going to do the ironing, but can't be bothered now, so going up for an early night!

Gosh! You've been busy! I just did one load of laundry and some groceries...

They had some guinea fowl in at the yard - noisy little beggars; they are a special order for a big house locally. Half were the normal black and white, and half were a pretty ghostly grey, never seen that colourway before, and they are quite pretty.... for guineas.

I love, love, love guinea fowl! And definately will/would have some if/when I live in a bigger house with loads of room and no neighbours! :roll:

Helped apprehand a shoplifter during my shopping though. Counts for something!

I love, love, love guinea fowl!

I call them squeaky wheelbarrows :D

They are soooo lound, but real clowns too. They have a whole hoard of them in the zoo I go too in summer. I find them much more interesting then the giraffes and zebras, whole share an enclosure. :lol:

One of my new ladies, Speckle, laid me an egg today, been here less than 24 hours and supposed to be only 17 weeks old.she did look the most mature and is definitely top chook. She was shooing the other two off to bed last night and getting very frustrated when they kept popping out of the Eglu :lol:

Are they the ones who run around en masse? If so they are cute - not sure if could stand the noise .

We are off this week trying to get stuff done at home and recovering from hols - have mild concusion Dr said from head injury sustained on holiday and a persistant headache. Back at work next week so hope it goes soon :(

Now any reports of us not knowing our neighbours let me tell you my tale of woe - I love in NW London and know quite a few of those round about and yesterday at 7.30am (yes 7.30) the doorbell rang. Pushed OH out as he's nearer the front door by a foot I think and off he plodded and I could hear a conversation of sorts. Decided to investigate and plodded down in my fetching jim jams :shock: to find a young guy who was trying to get an answer next door. Our neighbour is in India for 6 months and her son lives in the house and works in the City. Hes Oxford educated but despite this cant cook or open and envelope it seems :roll: It appears she hadnt paid up on the congestion charge and they were going to tow the car away :shock: I rang the son who was at his desk in London town and asked him to speak to the man. He got his uncle down to sort out. My neighbour was last here in UK in May so suspect it was a fair amount. The guy was lovely and offered him tea whilst he waited but he declined. I think son will get a rollicking when mum comes back in Sept. Shes a nice lady I know she would've paid up. Anyway just to prove even us townies know our neighbours. I havent mentioned names for obvious reasons. I was going to lie in front of car in fetching pj's to prevent movement of car. But OH said no. :shameonu:

We we due to go camping in Lostwitheil on Monday. Us, our 16 year old daughter, our dog, and our friends and their 4 year old daughter. But the weather is looking, well inclement to say the least, we have just found a lovely cottage for the week as a last minute booking. It looks really lovely, so lets hope its like that in real life :pray: Bring on the wet walks on the beach, the fish and chips and hot choc (red wine :wink: ) by the fire :)

ES has been spooked by report in paper this week re rampant spider behaviour due to hot humid weather. They will it seems come into our homes tobreed :shock: I will be waiting with the hoover :lol: .he's 6ft built like a shed. Any spider would be foolish to cross our threshold. My mum hated spiders. Must be in the genes.

A couple of us and two of my hens did a live radio interview for BBC Radio Berkshire today. We were promoting hen keeping and the BHWT rehoming tomorrow. It's the first time I've done live radio with a hen on my lap but it was good fun, and Whirly and Sassy even clucked in appropriate places!

Tomorrow we are rehoming 120 hens. It'll be a long day and my first as coordinator, but hopefully hugely enjoyable and rewarding!

I would definitely go for a cottage over camping but it's not forecast to be wet all week. Sunny Monday PM, dry Tues and Fri and showers Thurs (best not look at Wednesday). Fingers crossed they're being pessimistic like they have for here today 8)

So thats pretty much all the bad weather on the days we are there :wink: We drive down Monday afternoon and home Thursday lunchtime. Spiced rum is being packed along with hot choc. Just to warm our toes okay :wink: