Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

I'm scandalised but yes, he is.

I've been working (voluntarily working - most unlike me!) alongside a bunch of ex-coppers over the last couple of weeks and OMG! I had forgotten just how much they like to gossip.

I also now have a copy of my record of service with a dodgy 70s photo of me looking very sad as though I've just been nicked and I took a photo of my signature of when I got my posting.

Couple of weeks to go and have seen some very interesting books and also some very boring ones.

Is there any group of colleagues that doesn't like to gossip :lol: ?

I've just had the surveyor at my mum's house and when I pointed out that the back door into the garage seems to have come away from the wall, he said that someone had obviously got into the back garden and tried to push the whole door plus frame in. They probably peeked through the gap, saw the mountains of rubbish and decided not to bother!

Glad they didn't attempt to break into the actual house :? .

Attended a wedding yesterday & because it was local I was able to nip back home at 6pm to walk/feed the dog, check on the chooks & throw them some mixed corn, & feed the fish. All was well

Was rather late when I got in so admit I didn't do the rounds :shameonu: This morning I got up to find I had no fish! :shock: Some pesky creature had had the lot, 4 koi (bout 6" long) & 6 significant goldfish. I'm gutted, to top it off whatever it was had also managed to puncture the pond lining so the water is now down to the first sill ....

So, major rebuild needed, I loved those fish.

No evidence of a disturbance, not a single scale or body found, no obviously broken foliage....I live in a built up area, never seen a heron, so what or who is the culprit??

Victoria

Most likely a heron. You don't always see them as they are such silent fliers. We have one here, and this is a built up area next to a dual carriage way. Especially as you say the liner was punctured, seeing as they have long thin beaks. They are such graceful birds, but so sad that they do this :(

Bluekarin/Dogmother

Update, found 3 fish hiding in their bolt hole! Very scared, & won't come out. My neighbour heard a raucous from the local crows bout 05:30 this morning so I'm thinking that's when it all kicked off. Unfortunately I was too comatosed from my partying at that ungodly hour so missed my chance. Yes I agree probably a heron, awfully sad but nature will have its way! :(

So, Fox proofing, heron proofing, intruder proofing.....Welcome to Stalag!

Good you still have some fish left! Just hope they aren't too traumatised by the events of this morning. It is such a shame that you need to cover a lovely pond with netting, but if it means you keep your fish safe, then it's worth it. I think you can get statues of large birds, which are meant to deter herons, so might be worth a look.