Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Wow, a Spitfire! 8)

Me too, the engine noise is unmistakable, isn't it? You should live up here - we are in a bit of a triangle between various airbases, and we get loads of planes going over during the airshow season 8)

The Village at Wartime at Stoke Bruerne, and the Kop Hill Climb nr Princes Risborough both usually have Spitfire flypasts.

Just noticed one car in my road, and another in an adjacent street with DVLA clamps on them, and penalty notices about unpaid road tax. I was wondering how they would enforce that.

The DVLA just drive down the road with an ANPR camera, it will automatically flag up numberplates (and therefore cars) with no VED.

I genuinely enjoy having visitors. I live near London, and I'm always happy when family, friends or their offspring ask if they can stay a night or two. Even better when they are entertaining themselves and I don't have to take them out.

On the whole, however, I prefer visitors who:

Don't spend 20 minutes each in the shower and use all the hot water :evil:

Don't leave wet towels on the bed/floor

Stack their plates, mugs etc in the dishwasher when they've eaten breakfast after I left

Put the EMPTY orange juice carton in the bin, not back in the fridge

Bring their own shampoo, toothpaste and shower gel - or at least ask if they can borrow mine!

These aren't teenagers, these are two young women who've both been to university, lived independently, travelled and lived abroad (in a country with few resources and a poor economy).

A bottle of wine or a few flowers or even a bar of Dairy Milk might have softened my mood a bit, I am happy to provide food and drink (as well as the above-mentioned toiletries, sunscreen, water bottles, tissues and a spare pair of flip-flops!) but I don't think I've ever been to someone else's house without taking at least a token gift.

Rant over - they're only staying one more night and I'll probably be in bed when they get in. :D

What a nice surprise :D

Today I watched a sparrow on a tree panting, and another one doing a short burst of wing flapping with his tail spread out, presumably in an effort to cool down, which I haven't seen before. It was about 9.30am and already very warm, I should think its 40 by now. I have made a note to replenish their water bowl twice daily. I am already watering the plants twice a day.

Had a great time at Glastonbury :D

I was working with my brother and friend so we were there for 9 days, doing the 8pm-8am night shift.

Managed to catch Lionel Richie, Alt J, Florence, Jessie Ware and The Staves ...and the first showing of the new Amy Winehouse film.

I have had a bellyful of awkward people today - and they wonder why Gps are leaving in droves - I am a Practice nurse and had enough today to last me a life time. Its all me me me with some people - what is wrong with people. I wasnt at my best today - have a summer cold so feeling grotty and short tempered and managed not to blow off steam. i did pull a silly face at a colleague cos I was cross - its my work colleagues who keep you going. Sorry for rant - and breathe................

Had a lovely, happy ending this week, after all had seemed lost.

An acquaintance's Saluki had gone missing from outside his office on a local farm, he was distraught. I rounded up a posse and we went out that evening with our hounds, fully expecting to find her either straying and injured, or wounded in a ditch. We searched high and low, walked miles calling for her, checked along the main road and in all the drainage ditches, none of our dogs picked up her scent. I suggested to the owner that he got his son to post the details (which were on DogLost) all over t'internet and facebook, a friend of mine got it posted all over the local village sites, and I suggested that he took a poster detailing the cash reward over to the local s"Ooops, word censored!" yard. This is owned by a local family of settled travellers, and while I am not for one minute suggesting that they were implicated, they might have heard something.

We were due to search again the following evening, but the owner called it off, certain that she wasn't still alive, and afraid of what he might find; we were all very down and sad for him, but the next day, I got a text at work - the internet storming had paid off and made her too hot to keep; he'd had an anonymous call from someone at the s"Ooops, word censored!"pie to say that the dog was at the caravan site next door to them. The owner, who is an older fellow, and not very mobile, went steaming over there, and after a lot of fronting up from the occupants, he eventually got his hound back..... We are all very happy with the outcome, and planning a dog run-out to celebrate. :D:D

A synergy of the power of the internet, and a group of very determined people!

Here's Abi

89142_a.jpg

Edited by Guest