Christian

What have you all been making...part two...

Nothing as pretty as everyone else. Ground stakes for our new chicken enclosure made from 50cm lengths of 14mm diameter 'rebar' (concrete reinforcing bar), bent, cut and welded. These will be driven into the ground and tensioned with wire to the corner posts. Between the posts is the high tensile top wire which carries the chicken mesh; held in place with rings which creates a very wobbly structure which nothing (so far) can climb. Outside that will be high voltage wires so nothing can get close enough to jump over. or dig under the skirt. There will be a covered run and coop inside it together with sun shade structures.

Our egg layers will be living inside this and we won't be climbing up the hill to open and close the pop-hole unless the weather is very bad, just one visit a day for feed, water and collect eggs. It gets very windy up there, so the structure must be very strong and very secure.

Based on the rate of progress so far it will be another year until it is completed Plum. We've built two of this type previously, both were much larger, meant to be temporary (lasted 4 years) and took about two months each, but this one is in a difficult position and will be built to last much longer.

In the meantime I've been making candles using wax left over from bought candles with bad wicks/ shapes that burned halfway and went out. Again not pretty but they do work using coloured glass tumblers (free at the supermarket) and brown string (from the greenhouse). The wax is melted in bean tins in a saucepan of hot water, the wicks held down in the tumblers with washers and tensioned from a decorating table frame. The hot water is heated in the garage using our old petrol camping stove; all very Heath Robinson. Surprising how many old candles we had collected; sufficient to make 12 new ones that burn for 10 hours each outside, so the wicks are quite big.

You don't have to do animals - you can make rainbow mug rugs!  Or just play with one colour.  

I love the bun and the robin turned out a treat, Plum.

Yes, I play - it's fun while the light in the evening is bad - as long as you don't get your fingers in the way of a stab!  My old needles went rusty when we moved house - 2 weeks in storage, but it wasn't wet because it was hot, so maybe sweated in the containers?  

1 hour ago, mullethunter said:

Beautiful. I’d like to but I feel like you need some artistic talent and I have NONE

The book I have which is needle felted workshops by Jenny Barnett gives step by step really clear instructions and pictures to follow so you can just do it or go on and add your own interpretation as well.  So get a book and have a go.  Like Valkyrie says lots of topics.  How about a mushroom?  🙂

• Like 1

My cat is a cartoon one so I think easier than a real one to create. I took a picture off of Google and copied it. Still got loads to do. They're both a bit skinny for starters and  has no eyes and I haven't done his hands yet. I'm not going to attempt glasses. I wanted to make them as solid as possible so made a sort of bone structure first. The thing I especially like is that they are made completely from wool. No buttons, wire or anything else at all.  is about 18" tall and Jess is about 9" tall. 

Screenshot_20200115_081814_com.facebook.orca.jpg

IMG_20200115_080945.jpg

Screenshot_20200110_173529_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Edited by patsylabrador
  • Like 2

Made a double recipe of Castile soap this morning (just olive oil, lye and lavender oil). Why, oh why, does my nose always itch madly the very second that I add the sodium hydroxide to the oil and start to mix...... it 'nose' I can't scratch 🙄! All safely tucked up under towels and blankets in the bedroom now until unmoulding on Saturday!

I am so tempted by all the lovely needle felting projects....I've even got a couple of books on watch on E Bay as I have quite a bit of wool already in store from when I planned to do 'ordinary' felting with the boys some time ago and I think it would be suitable! Maybe when my hip is done...............................................

• Thanks 1

Fab minion! 

Yes, soap unmoulded tho a little swirly on top as I didn't get the greaseproof paper on quickly enough! Smells nice so just have to wait 6 weeks until it's cured! 

Once my hip is done and I am fully recovered I am going to get a basic needlefelting book as the projects posted are really inspiring! Thanks so much for sharing, peeps!

On 1/13/2020 at 10:06 PM, Plum said:

The book I have which is needle felted workshops by Jenny Barnett gives step by step really clear instructions and pictures to follow so you can just do it or go on and add your own interpretation as well.  

That looks like a good book. I might need to get one :lol:

I have the needle stabber tool but I only tried one thing to make. It turned out rubbish and I stabbed myself a few times.

I have a little felted mouse angel, sent to me from a previous Christmas swap, that she and your pictures have inspired me to have another go 😊

Edited by Luvachicken

Fab Minion and I just love the Postman Pat and Jess.  Oh dear Soapy - Murphy's Law (plus another which would likely be censored!  LOL) that you need to scratch.  It's like being in an audience when it's quiet - and you have a sneeze or a cough that needs to burst forth!  Then when you do cough, then the little ripple of coughing goes round the rest of the audience as if they were waiting for the first one to start. :lol:

Edited by Valkyrie
I'm an eejit!

Actually I'm really pleased with the latest batch of soap...it's unmoulded really well (by which I mean neatly, without bits falling off or corners getting squished!) and so looks like 'real' soap 😎. So far it remains white; previous batches with different essential oils in have discoloured as they have dried/cured which doesn't affect the efficacy but looks like knackered shortbread! I've worked out that each bar costs darn near 50p so pleased with that in comparison to buying 'handmade' soaps from craft fairs etc. 100% olive oil is a little more difficult to work with - takes longer to 'trace' when mixing and longer to set, but is much nicer to use, lathers well and is lovely and non drying on the skin which is useful when hands are constantly being washed! If we manage a meet up I'll bring some. 

It's not difficult to do and really rewarding so, if anyone fancies giving it a go, I'd be really happy to pass on the recipe, equipment needed etc! Will def try needlefelting when I'm over the hip thing! So impressed with the photos on the Forum!

Added: Those houses just popped up whilst I was typing - amazing! Such patience and skill ☺️

Edited by soapdragon
being slow