Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Snow! we've got snow! I like snow :D

Knew it was coming, so all prepared this morning - flask of hot coffee in the car and the snow bag with extra warm and waterproof clothes in it, in case I got stuck anywhere. Took a lot longer to get into work but no real problems and all the roads should be fine by hometime. I'm about 8-9 miles from work and have plenty of relatives living around the halfway mark, so if I did get completely stuck and had to hoof it, I wouldn't have too far to go to shelter.

People are just about rolling into work and it's like some big survivor's club - how bad it was, how long it took, wasn't it terrible around this part - it's only snow :shock: .

It's very pretty ... :D

Was glad of my snow bag!

The snow didn't stop at lunchtime, as the forecast had predicted, and the roads just got worse. For the first time ever, my dad rang work and said I needed to be making my way home as we already had 8 inches of snow on the drive and it was still coming. Off I went and it took me over 1 1/2 hours to make the 8-mile journey :shock: .

Had to leave the car in the village as there was no chance of getting it up the hill, and I trudged 3/4 mile in deep snow up the steep hill, discovering how unfit I really am :oops: . Was lucky to find a place to park in the village, and was very glad of warm and waterproof trousers for the hike. I'm sure every tree I passed under dropped snow on me on purpose :evil:.

Still thick lying snow here this morning, but the road looks clearer and I should be able to retrieve the car later. Still think it's pretty though.

No snow, but crisp frost and very cold and grey first thing. Went for a walk around Winchester and it rained a little and then as the wind picked up the sun came out. Nice and warm in sheltered areas but oooh cold otherwise. On the way home we drove through a heavy sleet shower and we've had sleet showers on and off with sun in between. The wind only seems to pick up when the sleet comes. 5 degrees but feels a lot less!

Pretty unpleasant yesterday. Bitterly cold with frequent snow/sleet/hail/rain showers and very windy.

Mostly a better day today. Still cold but mostly dry. Enough sun this morning to get the Eglu and a load of towels dry.

Showery now - my chickens are such wimps - every time there's a shower they leg it for the covered run :D:roll:

Gool Peran Lowen (Happy St Pirans Day) to you all

Also saw the year's first ice cream van, jingles and all, on my way back from work!

What a lovely, cheerful sound. A sure sign that the seasons are on the turn. That's one of the things I miss about living out in the sticks. I remember when I was little, the mad scramble to get out of the door before it drove away!

Lovely here yesterday too, but dull and cool this morning.

It has been very wet here. Yesterday on my way home from school the road was flooded and I had to turn around. Never known that road flood in over 20 years of living around Rutland. Today three other roads are impassable due to flooding and all the fields near Duddington are under water.

Chrissie

This has been a crazy week. The worst winds of the week on Wednesday (but no name this time) with heavy rain, then a nothingy day on Thursday, and an absolutely beautiful, sunny, warm day on Friday with no wind at all. Quite sunny, dry, warming and still for the weekend. Very pleasant and everything's finally starting to dry out.