soapdragon

When Do You Decorate?

We all differ but it would seem that some have trees and decs up whilst others don't. We always put ours up as late as possible.....harks back to OH's family decorating on Christmas Eve. Wonderfully creative MIL used masses of greenery and I suppose that decorating at the last minute meant it was fresh for the required amount of time!? So normally our tree would go up the weekend before 25th....this year we have family visiting both days and, although the boys break up at 1.00pm on Friday 20th, we are out that afternoon. Therefore it will be Sunday 15th.

Last year I took a lot of decs to the charity shop; things that we hadn't used for several years and were a bit of a mistake anyway - not sure why I bought a load of Noah's Ark themed tin tree baubles anyway :$! There is a Tree Barn near us (at Christmas Common!) with masses of decorations as well as trees and we go every year when it first opens late November. The boys choose something each. No tinsel but greenery from the garden - we have a bay tree and lots of rosemary so can refresh it, as necessary. 

What 'traditions' do other have? To really get into the mood shall we post a pic of our trees, as they go up? I think we did this a couple of years ago and it was lovely to see how individual they all were! 

I used to wait until my birthday on the 12th, but found that it was more of an annoyance to have them up just for a few weeks, so now they go up for the whole of December, and I pack them away on New Year's Day.

Here's our humble tree:

7FC34F4B-5942-409F-8410-58F0ADE00E9B.thumb.JPG.36705e0708ac883185013ab412fe4d71.JPG

We also have some Nutcrackers and garlands by our fireplace, and a wreath on the front door, but that's as much as we do decorating wise. I'm not sure we have any traditions... maybe if we adopt kids we'll end up making some.

There is a whole secret rule in the Netherlands that you can’t put up a tree before Sinterklaas has left the country... which was today.

But I already put mine up last Wednesday (to the horror of my mother...) because it would be pouring with rain today and tomorrow and didn’t want to drag home a soggy tree.

I have waited with all other decoration (mostly because I ran out of time...), so will put those up this weekend, including covering all windows in chalk art. 😉

Happy Birthday for 12th, Andyroo! Your tree looks lovely against the wooden floor.

PW, we only have two places in the sitting room that will fit a tree so depends on whether we go small, 3ft or large, 5ft. As we usually leave it until mid December there is often a limited choice.....we go to Marsh Baldon just down the road from Notcutts. So whichever of the two sizes looks best is what we get!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

Is it easy to clean off after Christmas?  I’ve been tempted but cleaning windows is not my forte at the best of times!  I’m just trying to decide where the tree goes this year.  The furniture/clutter seems  to have somehow expanded ...... now what can I move... 

Just water and soap! No scrubbing required!

• Thanks 1

Wow!! CT did you draw that freehand? It’s brilliant!

My sister's birthday is on the 20th so we never put decorations up until the 21st and I’ve stuck to that.

OH isn’t really into Christmas so we don’t have that much up apart from our tree that comes in every year, and although I love Christmas, like the DM I find a few weeks enough - I just think it’s more special that way.

We don't have many traditions because of all the shift work so Christmas works out differently every year. The  thing we tend to always do is have the film Singing in the Rain on in the morning while I cook lunch with one of my sons. Apparently we squabble over the cooking but we're always having fun. I don't know how the film being on in the morning became a tradition but it would be strange to not play it now. 

Lovely tree PL.

My Christmases are much smaller now and very cosy - gone are the days of a houseful and 10 for Christmas lunch. Rosie is down from Edinburgh, which will be lovely. There will be a family Christmas day, except for my sister's family as she doesn't come to my house. On boxing day, Rosie has some time with her dad (see how long she lasts) and I have a load of ex-pat friends over - none of them have family in the UK or are alone, and it's tradition that each person brings something to cook, we have a massive lunch, then argue over Scrabble.

• Thanks 1

When DD was small, we always waited until a good few days after her birthday  - which is 18th December - so that she had a proper birthday not a Christmassy one.

It's only been in the last few years that we now put it up around 1st December, mostly because December seems so drab sometimes weather wise, and because people have sent me things that I like to look at for longer than a couple of weeks.

Putting the bells on our tree always reminds me of our dog Daisy at this time of year, you always knew she was having a good rummage under the tree because the bells would tinkle.

• Like 1

This is YS first Christmas at secondary school and they do things differently there! Have been used to both boys (and me as Governor) being involved with tiny primary school with lots of Christmas things going on....whole school trip to the panto in Oxford, carol/nativity service, postbox in reception for cards etc and it's very odd not to have that all going on. For the last 10 years I've had an afternoon at school making up Chtistingles and will really miss that too! I don't think that I'll feel proper Christmasy until they break up on 20th!

Mine will go up next weekend. Cleaning round them is a faff. Plus an over excited ginger cat doesnt help. Our Christmas has shrunk due to deaths etc. This year ES going to girlfriend's folks. YS is working at pub. I gave booked OH , elderly aunt and myself into panto on Boxing day. Matinee then home for tea games or TV. 

What did you buy, PL? 

Ummm, we are going to pop into the Oxford market on Saturday! I've booked a folky Christmas concert at The Holywell Music Rooms which finishes around 5.45pm so will all wander down to have a look at the market on Broad Street. Not been before so hopefully will be a bit different - might help us feel the vibe! Then tree and home decorations on Sunday.

We love the markets. Christmas starts with the markets for us. Heidelberg market has my favourite stall. It's like a big chalet and holds bags and bags of teas, coffees, spices and dried flowers 💐 I bought some pretty German tea for my friends in Tokyo. We tend to send tea to each other. I bought spices for my Christmas day stock and dried flowers and peppermint leaves because I have actually hundreds of empty tea bags(which I bought by mistake) and I thought I'd use them to make little fragrant bags to use in the bath. They're also good for bouquet garni. 

Love the windows, love the mantel decs and love the trees!

I never have a set time for the tree, but usually take it down on the 6th and if I can't do that, I just take off the decorations.  This year, when unpacking the box which was in the garage, we discovered empty beech nut shells.  Seems Chip 'n Dale had been using it as a cafe.  No other sign of them, so they must have vacated or been eaten by the cat next door.  It might be fake but it's still the best fake I've seen!  If it falls apart then it'll be back to proper trees - I miss that pine smell.  Sooooo the tree is up, the lights are on but that's as far as I have got.

We bought a wreath that had orange slices and so it wouldn't dry out, we put it in the workshop.  Seems Pixie and Dixie have now set up home somewhere in there and ate the orange from the middle of the slices and left the rings!:roll: