Old Speckled Hen

Snow

We had a couple of inches overnight on Saturday and more mid morning yesterday. It has just started snowing again, the snow free space where Andy car was parked is disapearing.

I can't decide if I should try to get to work today. It is my last day at work before the holidays and all I will be doing is setting the tables for the non teaching staff Christmas meal, I don't think I would be missed much. The lane and the road were like an ice rink yesterday and even the main road into town was bad as the gritters had not been out. I suppose I could wrap up warm and walk the 2 1/2 miles but I will have to wait until it is light, I am a wuss and would scare myself silly walking on unlit lanes in the dark.

We had a little snow on Saturday evening. It's now quite icy outside though.

I'm just hoping it melts at the minute and we don't have any more, as my sister is coming back to the UK after a week in Philadelphia to Newcastle airport and then her and her husband are hoping to drive down from Durham to Yeovil on Thursday. Plus Sarah and Adam are coming back too, and the conditions on the roads at the minute aren't good.

There was a tiny smattering overnight, but it's all frozen again. My front garden and path are clear, but the pavements and road are like glass. Had to help a neighbour to get her car out yesterday and drove it out onto the main road, which was reasonably free - she's scared stiff about driving in the snow/ice.

Ambulance outside work when I arrived this morning; lady had fallen out on the pavement and was carted off. As Egluntyne has reported, there's a distinct lack of gritting here; we don't have nearly as much snow as she has, but the main roads are still a bit icy and the town centre paths and market place are treacherous.

Phil managed to get over to see me on Saturday - he rolled out into the lane and edged carefully down the hill, his dad was waiting with the pick-up to go and pull him out if necessary, but he had two pieces of carpet, shovel and wellies in the car. Roads were gritted as soon as he got to the Oxfordshire border; Bucks never grit up that high!

Lovely photo's OSH. None of the car parks have been gritted - it's so dangerous. Everybody is walking like they are about to poo their pants - and for good reason! I wonder if it's because if anyone slips over after they have tried to clear it, then they can be sued. But if it's left they can't have legal proceedings taken against them - I think that applies to your own houses too. :? Actually Waitrose were the only ones to grit the car park. Still ice rink here. Bit of light rain - nothing much and still blooming cold.

Our Christmas with my parents has been cancelled as they are snowed in - approx 8 inches and as they live on a very steep hill their road and the ones surrounding it arent passable. :(

I thus did battle in Sainsbury's this morning to get some bits in for our unplanned Christmas at home. We will Skype my parents on Christmas Day instead :D

So snow is now needed where I live so I can make a snowman for Isabelle! :lol:

This was earlier an hour or so ago. We can't see the grass now and probably getting towards 1.5 to 2 inches deep and coming down very thick. It's also much lighter and not as wet. Girls went to bed early and I had to carry down the 2 old girls. Squirt wouldn't go at first, but followed DD down while I rounded up the stragglers. Tipsy was already inside - sometimes she isn't bonkers. Very slippery.

P1020366.jpg

And out the back

P1020367.jpg

Oh my word, we have had anoth 3 inches here, & it is still chucking it down.

Eldest daughter is stuck on a bus going into Reading, so Hubby has had to drive out to try & rescue her & her friends :shock:

The bus has given up,pulled over & told the passengers to make other arrangements......

It is,quite literally,a total white out here!

I have never seen anything quite like it.