Old Speckled Hen

Snow

I don't know if anyone saw BBC Oxford news,but Devon was interviewed about the snow after getting stuck in Reading :P

She made the national BBC bulletin too!

Blonde girl on the duck egg blue hat,if anyone caught it

I saw her!!! Pretty girl in a nice knitted hat :D

My husband took 2.5 hours to travel 4 miles :-(

OH managed to get in at 9! He said the A30 hadn't been sorted and there were big ruts in the snow where it's beginning to ice over. They gritted it this morning, but useless under a ton of snow. No snow ploughs out over these roads. :(

Keep safe everyone. I was supposed to pick up the veg tomorrow in Whitchurch, but it doesn't look like I'll get out of the cul-de-sac!

I don't know if anyone saw BBC Oxford news,but Devon was interviewed about the snow after getting stuck in Reading :P

Just seen the main BBC News - was that Devon wearing a pale blue knitted beret/hat?

We;ve got off lightly here compared to all those scenes in the news.

That was her :D

Woken this morning to a good 10 inches of snow.

Brian has (rather foolishly IMHO) just attempted to get to work.

As he was clearing the driveway a Fireman in a Land Rover stopped out front & said that there are trees down,jacknifed lorries & abandoned cars all over.

Reckon he will be home pretty soon :roll::roll::lol:

Had an odd nights sleep,with all the snow making an eerie glow in the bedroom 8)

Wow! I've not been here for ages, but I've been hearing amazing stories of snow over there, so I thought I'd have a quick peek & see what your snow reports were like. I should have remembered from previous years that Omleteers are big on their snow reporting. I really can't read 21 pages of it...I'm really meant to be studying not forum browsing :wink:

Anyway, it looks so pretty, & it's great stuff to play in, so enjoy all & I hope you all get a wonderful white Christmas. But please stay safe & warm.

We're definitely doing the warm thing down here, temps in the high 20s over the past few days, a bit cloudier today, but we've got brilliant weather forecast for Christmas Day. I'm happy with that :D .

Congratulations OSH :D - you'll have to start another thread so that we can have photos!

We only had an inch of snow but it froze straight away. We have a severe weather warning for Warwickshire but we must be on the edge of it. Carl will have to take the Land Rover to fetch grandchildren - I'm not taking my Mini on the icy roads.

Still very grim on the road outside - no sign of any treatment whatsoever!

OH didn't make it home last night. He walked to a friend's house, drank champagne and had a great night's sleep!!

Work colleagues were stuck in their cars all night.

The girls water was not frozen this morning so hopefully not too icy out there at the moment.

Stay safe everyone. And congratulations to OSH. :D

DD's boyfriend eventually made it back from the Oracle after hours and hours of waiting.

My mum lives at the bottom of a big hill and she had to abandon her car at the top as cars were sliding and smashing into other cars and lamposts. It took her a couple of hours to do a 15 minute journey. :?

Forgot to add congratulations to OSH on the birth of Ebony. :dance:

Congrats OSH hope the weather doesn't stop you from seeing the new arrival.

We were suppossed to have more snow last night but I don't think we did. There are real signs it is clearing. At the back o the house where it gets sunny the snow has almost cleared from the gravel and some o the plants in the borders can be seen again. The grass is still very much hidden.

Just been outside in my dressing gown & wellies.

Its not too cold,is deathly silent & rather eerie here.

A few casualties - my beautiful 4 foot high Rosemary by my front gate is now a broken & flat 2 foot high mess.

The wheelies couldn't go out today either :roll:

The snow is muffling Indianas crowing beautifully :lol:

Here is my log store this morning,which actually looks quite pretty for a change 8)

Its in a sheltered spot,so didn't get the full onslaught of the snow.

Logstore1209.jpg

My birdhouse & Crabapple tree

Birdhouse.jpg

And the table this morning,which shows the total amount of snow we had!

Table.jpg

This is probably not the place to post this so feel free to delete it mods if you wish...

The shrubs down my garden path are completely crushed. It would make sense for me to cut the branches. I am a rubbish gardener but am fairly sure that I do that at this time of year it would kill the shrubs completely. Am I right?? :oops:

Congratulations OSH, we'd love to see some piccies to coo over.

As Lesley said, we have got off quite lightly here - I went to circuit training last night and there wasn't any snow falling, came out to heavy snowfall and about an inch had fallen in that hour. The car park was treacherous and I helped someone else to get out before having a few goes at getting out myself. No more snow overnight, but thick fog this morning has given way to brilliant blue skies, -3deg and sunshine.

Phil, on the other hand has had even more snow and sent me these photos from the farm...

Taken from his studio window, that car has been abandoned in their driveway and the road was closed yesterday as the hill is too steep to get up in the snow:

6a00ccff898588673101240b87a6e9860e-500pi

Across their driveway, see the power lines sagging; a cottage behind them has lost power:

6a00ccff89858867310123f18b1036860f-500pi

Back garden and across the valley to the back:

6a00ccff89858867310123ddcc57c7860b-500pi

He is now wondering if they will make it over for Christmas!