Old Speckled Hen

Snow

We only had another 1cm or so of snow last night but as we still have loads I'm not feeling deprived. Son2 was driving home last night and couldn't get up a hill. He had to call and ask what alternative route there is to get home. We've only been here 2 months and he's been driving less than that. He seems very sensible though as he pulled over to call me and then the police stopped to ask if he had broken down which was good. He was on a pretty remote road so it is good to know they are checking all areas.

Did he get home though :?

I tried to clean the Eglu out this morning with a bucket of hot water and Ecover, the water was freezing on the Eglu faster than I could dry it off, even cleaning the base which is in the indoor run. The bubbles from the Ecover were also frozen :shock: The temperature in my back yard is -5 at present, and the sun never gets in the yard in the winter.

Yes he got home safely although it seemed to take forever and waiting was awful.

We have the sun streaming through the window and although the heating isn't on and it can't be above zero it still feels lovely and warm. The OH goes out to see to the chickens in the morning and I haven't ventured out yet.

Oh dear - not sure whether we'll make it out. Cars keep getting stuck outside our house. We are on a hill, well more of a long slope really and the car tyres just keep spinning.

OH just watched two young lads trying to push a mini past this bit and one of the young lads ended up going down the hill. :?

Another lady ended up going back down the hill in reverse until she could turn around.

Minus 4 here now and the rain is now sheet ice - even the lawn is treacherous!

I wonder how Mark in US is getting on - they have horrendous snow problems on the East coast.

YES.....We are! But being near to the ocean makes it all a little less intense. I took a drive over to the grocery and the further inland I got the heavier and deeper the snow drifts got. The problem here on the island is the freezing bitter and driving wind.

It is -7c or 20f. I'm actually contemplating moving to South Florida......I REALLY don't enjoy the cold.

Edited by Guest

Took ES to swimming training at 7.45am - it was snowing then, and on and off through his 2 hr session in the pool. It has been snowing on and off all morning, have left both boys sledging at the running track and come home to marzipan the cake :D

Am supposed to be going out for a meal in Sutton tonight - but the council never grit the hill where we live - bit cautious about going up and down in the car even though I have driven in worse conditiions and on a steeper hill :anxious:

Lovely photos all. :D

It was -6deg here when I got up on Saturday morning, so cold that it made my face hurt!

Made it to Straford to meet up with Lesley and Carl, but got very cold walking the dogs in the fields outside Stratford afterwards. It didn't get above freezing all day, but struggled up to 1 deg late evening and sleeted/snowed. This then froze solid and this morning, it was -4deg and very, very icy. Our road is off the main drag and never gets gritted, so was/is like a skating rink on the road and paths. I have salted out the front and back to keep it safe.

We had a lovely but cold walk in the sun early afternoon, the dog loved it, but I managed to forget the camera :roll:

Beautiful photos OSH :D

I hope you got your chucks down again OSH. I saw a wren and robin in garden today looking for food. tracks in snow are fox so moved bunnies to garage for the night as OH said "he;ll be back" The amazing thing about snow is you are aware of what nature is in your garden while you sleep. Lovely photos

I don't blame you for wanting to move to Florida Mark! - you've got weather more suited to Minnesota.......they're used to it.

Just found this on Metcheck:

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/whitechristmas.asp

Select your county and Santa will tell you what your chances are of having a white Christmas!

We have a 10% chance :(

We went to Kenilworth at lunchtime and the pub car park was like a skating rink :shock::? I didn't want to get out of the car as it was 7 years ago last week that I slipped on ice and did so much damage to my knee :? I was dropped by the door and walked very carefully over 2 metres of icy snow...........I don't know why they hadn't gritted the (public) car park - we saw three people slip and fall over :( , even Carl struggled.

:lol: Lesley, you should have seen Banbury centre, I don't think they've gritted at all, it was like a skating rink too.

Be careful Lesley, I always worry about Phil in this weather; he has a rebuilt knee joint after a nasty bike smash when he was 17. He's brilliant on it and so long as he does his physio every day it's fine and he can even manage to do circuit training with me if he wears his brace. i just wish he wasn't so gung ho on the ice :roll: