Old Speckled Hen

Snow

We got told we could leave work at 4 (in Central London), I really thought this was for people living in Kent and so on, but decided to take advantage of it ... imagine my shock when the Tube got above ground at Leyton and the platform was thick with snow!

I live on a hill, and cars are struggling to get up it. Stopped snowing now, though. Really praying it turns to rain, I'm supposed to be picking up my SIL's 90-year old dad from Chelmsford on Thursday and then driving to North Yorkshire. We might both be spending Christmas at home if this goes on!

Well it continues to come down here, proper snow!! Giant flakes! :shock:

WFH today... safe to say we'll be WFH tomorrow :lol:

Just hope we'll be able to get out before Friday to get the food for Christmas day! If not

Rhubster will be 'invited to see how warm the oven is on Friday', it will be a case of... in you pop somewhere 'warm & safe' :lol:

my cousin only got as far as Preston and had to turn back as the weather had got so bad.I couldn't believe all the snow we had yesterday!! We haven't had any today,and it did start to melt in places,but now it is absolutely freezing,so the roads are really icy.We live on a one way street(very narrow) and it doesn't get gritted.It's lethal! My sis and her partner got hit by another car which had slid across the road yesterday. :(

Have heard from my sister today. Fortunately she got back to Newcastle safely today. Thank God she wasn't booked for the Saturday flight back as it was cancelled due to the snow.

I'm just hoping everyone can get down here safely this week. It's not very snowy down here, just icy.

Well it seems to be north of us, south of us, east and west of us but has missed us completely! We had a small flurry earlier in Guildford when I was at work, a bit apparently in Bisley but now nothing. Everywhere 5 miles away is apparently blizzard like, literally! :shock:

Keep safe everyone, it was carnage on the roads of Surrey today, don't brake suddenly, don't accelerate suddenly, don't change direction suddenly, high gears and let your engine slowly move you away. Better still, take the day off!!n You can say I said so :lol::lol:

BeckyBoo

My dear boy is very blase about the whole thing - "we'll get home somehow - it's not that bad". That was after I told him he might be camping at a friend's house because apparently people are abandoning their cars in Hook. OH still stuck on the M3. He left N London over 4 hours ago and has just gone past Fleet services. Snow's stopped here - no it's not - I can see it's started again. I went outside the front door and it is starting to melt - lots of wet dripping in the bushes - and probably a wood mouse in the leaves rustling away. Saw either a big flash of lightning or the flash of the electricity on the train lines.

When I told mum we were supposed to get 4.5cm's according to Accuweather, DD rushed outside with a tape measure. 8cm's so far. My car looks like it's a Christmas cake with icing dripping down the sides.

No TV satellite, so DD has resorted to watching a film called Mrs Clause (sounds like Angela Lansbury singing) "this is sooo bad" she says - a freebie from a newspaper. :roll:

Ah Christian - you may have as much as you like - a snow takeaway. :lol:

Glad the girls are home safe Cinammon.

Looking on the bright side it is supposed to get warmer - slightly - and rain is on the cards.

Who wrote that blasted song "Let it Snow"? :lol:

OK I'm going to pretend to be stuck on the A30 and have one of Jlo's cuppas. :twisted:

OH says he would like one of Jlo's cuppas. :lol: At the moment he's going up the last big hill before Hook - going down the other side might be interesting - he slid sideways while we were on the phone (managed to get another connection). Not reached the mile sign yet, and then up the last hill on the slip road - more or less level from then. The snow plough is on the other side going northwards and the traffic is moving better that way. He is quite jealous. :lol:

The roads around here have been gritted but were still icy this morning. I had to park in the car park next to the hospital and that hadn't been gritted - a bit scary trying to get into the hospital without slipping :shock:

Jake was supposed to be on a two day football trials course with football scouts attending from local clubs but that was cancelled as the pitches were like ice-rinks - he was so disappointed that it was cancelled......and even more so when he had to come to the hospital with us :roll:

We had ice all day and it started snowing about an hour ago.........

It took me 3 hours to get back from work today (about 4.5 miles)! I've never seen anything like it.

My brother in law has apparently been on the road over 5 hours so far and still no sign. 2 hours ago he was on the A329 so not far away, but that was 2 hours ago.

Oh these pictures are fantastic. :D

We keep getting little flurries but I am so :mrgreen: of you all.

I really really really want a white Christmas! :notalk:

Chelsea, don't give up hope - we on the Lancashire coast, just south of Blackpool have just had some proper snow for the first time today. It is really hard for those of us on the West coast - we get all sorts of strange warming streams that mean that I have only ever had proper snow about 4 times in 45 years! It is so unfair!!!!!

Hopefully it is coming your way in the next couple of days! :D

We did have some snow earlier but it didn't last long. The snow has been melting all day but there is still loads on the ground it has just melted from the trees. Son managed to drive home up the hill tonight so things much be getting better.

I don't know if anyone saw BBC Oxford news,but Devon was interviewed about the snow after getting stuck in Reading :P

Just seen the main BBC News - was that Devon wearing a pale blue knitted beret/hat?

We;ve got off lightly here compared to all those scenes in the news.