Old Speckled Hen

Snow

We had a blizzard yesterday lunchtime - I'd just sent my son to walk both dogs because we could see the snow clouds coming and they were as far from the house as they could be when it started - they came back.....two little snowdogs and a snowman! :lol: The puppy wasn't fazed by her first taste of snow :D I think we've had a smattering overnight and are due some more today.

We had about half an inch of snow which immediately froze as it was bitterly cold. We'd just had all the animal feed delivered.....we've been collecting it ourselves for three years and last week the supplier offered us free delivery.........good timing! We were hoping to move the sheep and cows down into the barn next week but they'll need to move today........that should warm us up!

We've got it too :clap: ..not deep, very crisp and not very even now the dogs have rampaged through it :roll: ..........chooks are a bit grumpy but I'll let them out of their runs now it's light & see what their responses are.....the big girls in the WIR of course all saw it earlier in the year, it was one of my batties first experiences of the outside world :wink: .........all the others are too young, the Bufflings were distinctly miffed, though their demeanour improved slightly when I added the warm water to their icy mash :D

Got to go out & get food for all the creatures once the kiddlings get up..............mmm looking forward to icy roads :?

Stay warm & safe everyone.........

Sha x

Braved the snow this morning with the kettle to unfreeze the locks on the run. The water wasn't frozen surprisingly and it was wamer in the run than outside which is comforting. It is protected on 2 sides by the fence and the shed and I've rigged up the shower curtain on one other to protect them from the wind.

I've told the girls they're better off in there today although I'm not sure they believed me.

Got about 6'' here in places :D my first snow day in years as parents always managed to get their kids to me even when most of the country were at home :roll: been awake since 5.30 first text hubby to tell me he'd arrived at work ok and then 2 more from parents so wide awake at 7 :(:lol: so plan for day , defrost chickens :lol: done! very warm in their run with the thick layer of snow on roof.

...Make stollen, biscuits and mince pies if i can be bothered to walk to shops to get mincemeat.

None last night, just -3deg and very windy, so icy first thing. Was snowing at 7am though and drifting due to the winds. Still snowing here and about an inch on the ground, but I think we've caught the edge of it.

Phil called from Radnage this morning, they've had about 8" of snow up there and the lane looks white as anything with it drifted against the hedges, not sure if any cars have been along it as it runs along the top of the ridge and is usually impassable when it snows. He'll send pics later.

Hope we can make it to the market tomorrow Lesley!

OH been out with the camera. It came over rather dark just now but luckily just a few sleety bits and sun is making the clouds a creamy pink towards the east. Girls refused to come out this morning, but they did have warm spaghettie bolognese (Quorn) with pellets and the gubbins. Last I saw they were tucking in well.

We have snow (2 inches maybe) and it's still snowing. Our schools are closed so instead of a nice peaceful morning, everyone is home, including the husband!

Could some Omleteers tell me how it is between Gatwick and Brighton please? I am supposed to be driving there this afternoon for a job.

We have beautiful clear blue skies and freezing temperatures here :D

Yesterday afternoon we had a fabulous snow storm, which lasted all of 10 minutes. I work in a big office building in a fairly elevated position and can see for miles too, so we all watched the city centre disappear beneath the snow and then it enveloped us too. The funny thing is the snow goes upwards on one side of the building in certain conditions, not yesterday though.

Because it is so cold here we still have the snow around today :D

You can see our snow on the Banbury Cross webcam (only viewable on IE). My office is just 200 yards up from the local stone building in the middle of the shot.

Still snowing a bit here, but the sun is coming out. My office is on the first floor, and I have views across the rooftops to the hills over at Middleton Cheney on the other side of the M40. Luckily I can't see the motorway. The church steeple at Middleton is sticking up out of the white :D

We have snow (2 inches maybe) and it's still snowing. Our schools are closed so instead of a nice peaceful morning, everyone is home, including the husband!

Could some Omleteers tell me how it is between Gatwick and Brighton please? I am supposed to be driving there this afternoon for a job.

I'm in Scaynes Hill (3 miles East of Haywards Heath) and we have 6 inches and our side roads are blocked. The A 272 is passable with care.

However, the sun is now shining and the snow seems to have started melting. They do say more snow could be possible this afternoon though!

Hope this helps.

Loads of the white stuff here :) and it's still falling. There are marshalls on the hill directing traffic and making lorries turn back or reverse back down. DH has gone to work and i've told him to do the bare minimum nad come home asap, i have fears he might not be able to get back if it carries on like this :anxious:

I'm hoping we can get out tomorrow as i'm meant to be decorating my parents tree and doing some work for my Dad.

I think that must be the 2nd wave coming down to us then Claire. It's sunny here now and everything is dripping. I'll look out for it.

I left the chickens in the run today, the cats asleep on the bed and the dog playing with Rosie who has now finished school. At least the house will be warm when I go back for lunch; I left the heating on for Rosie.

Blimey - we got about 3.5 inches overnight!

Lovely & sunny here now,& it all looks beautiful. Snow days for both the girls,but they were only half days at college & school anyhow.

Solid ice under the snow,so the roads are lethal.Happily I don't need to go anywhere & we can eat from the fridge & cupboards today,just meed to make some bread :D

The cat must have had wind of this being on the way.he was so fiesty last night & evening, running around the place,spooking at shadows & not settling - most unlike him :?

I'm just down the road from ClaireG and we have loads too.....hardly any cars are venturing up our road. My friend works in Wellingborough and set off for work at 6.30 - it took her two hours to get there (usually a 20 minute journey) - main problem is the lorries getting stuck on the hills around Corby! I just took the girlies some hot pellet porridge.