The Dogmother Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 It's thawing a bit here. I just looked on Accuweather and it said "dense fog, minus 4 degrees". I would beg to differ - not even slightly misty. We even had a very pale appearance of the sun a short while ago and as for a minus 4 figure, well, not according to the drips running down my car. I think we've swapped weather then - we have -3deg and freezing fog, while the weather fro this area says that it is supposed to be warmer and sunny intervals! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poachedegg Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 My son is supposed to drive to Sheffield today (from Herts) to say with a uni friend, I've tried to explain how bad it is there. What are his chances of making it via the M1? Nil i should think Only just clocked this ... . Main roads clear in Sheffield. Side roads impossible. Pavements piled high with snow. M1 OK at the mo. Weather very sunny but bitterly cold, with probability of black ice etc later, when the thawed out snow re-freezes. TBh if I were him I wouldn't risk it. ES was due to go to Sheffield to meet up with friends at Uni there and go and watch his beloved Reading play football - after seeing your posts I 'advised' him not to, with that and the match getting called off he saw sense, so he is coming home (from Bangor) for the weekend instead. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 It's thawing a bit here. I just looked on Accuweather and it said "dense fog, minus 4 degrees". I would beg to differ - not even slightly misty. We even had a very pale appearance of the sun a short while ago and as for a minus 4 figure, well, not according to the drips running down my car. I think we've swapped weather then - we have -3deg and freezing fog, while the weather fro this area says that it is supposed to be warmer and sunny intervals! I shouldn't laugh should I? Oh well . . . I remembered you said about the fog and I thought of you when I read the report. Obviously a typo! Called mother and told her and now she is panicking because I mentioned fog. What does it matter - she isn't going out in it anyway! Mother - we haven't got fog!!!!! "I know"she says. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 Mine's not going either - I think my 'emergency pack' of duvet, flask, wellies and snow shovel put him off Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 Cinnamon, if the Henley market place as I remember it, the wind will whistle though - even if there isn't any anywhere else. I think the design is like those in Abingdon and Witney where they were built to keep butter cool in the summer! I doubt there'll be many customers so maybe they can pack up early. As for the weather in Abingdon, we've actually had sun! But it's still bitterly cold. Stay safe, everyone Tricia Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted December 3, 2010 Author Share Posted December 3, 2010 Daphne you are so right about the coast...here is a photo of our local beach this morning... Blimey......don't often see that in this country!! Heavy snow forecast tonight. Up till now we've had the tail end of the weather coming in from the east and we've still had about 8 inches. DH and I were out shopping when he got a shout so I left him at base and drove home. We live in a dip and even with the gear box in low 4WD I only just got the car to the bottom of the drive. He can get a lift from one of the rescue Landy's when he's finished as I'm hopeless in the snow On the news today was the sorry story of two old folk who were found dead in their gardens, presumably slipped last night and unable to get up, froze..............so sad. One of them had been visited by neighbours yesterday evening and was in fine fettle. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 Went into Town to stock up on a few bits. -3 outside and now dropping like a stone. Dense freezing fog rolling in and cannot see the barn down the lane. It's going be mighty cold tonight! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 Phil has just got back from 'somewhere in Nottinghamshire' and it was -8deg there! On my own tonight, so will fill up the hot water bottle and load both cats onto the bed to keep me warm Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 Love that beach snow pic!! I remember seeing the sea washing in great chunks of snow in Scarborough many years ago, it does look very 'wrong' somehow Well it reached a peak of around minus 5 in my back yard today, from minus 8 earlier on. However, we've had sunshine all morning, so a lot of our snowy ice has melted. I went for a walk alog the canal (and for a good whiff of chocolate ) and found fox tracks all over the frozen canal . I also found a spot where he'd dug under the fence separating the canal from the railway line. The canal is even frozen under the bridges, which means we've had really cold temperatures, and an ice breaker has been through at least once but it just keeps freezing. There's two boats stuck here too, although I don't think one of them minds, he has a woodburner and solar panels It's now gone really cloudy and dark, I hope this is night and not snow Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 Freezing up now but still no fog. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 Fog has sort of lifted, but it's dark now, so hard to tell. I haven't seen the canal this week Claire, but I'm sure it's frozen - usually is, then some daft drunk tries to walk on it one night and ends up making headlines in the local rag Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 Cinnamon, if the Henley market place as I remember it, the wind will whistle though - even if there isn't any anywhere else. Tricia You are right,but the school is insisting she go....its part of a project for her creative media Diploma,& she will be marked down for her GCSE grade if she doesn't go Would you believe it...she tried to leave the house wearing SHORTS AND A T SHIRT Albeit with lots of layers of leggings & tights,but even so. She is now in high dudgeon,layering up with long sleeved fleecy shirts & jeans on top of the choosen outfit. Still refusing point blank to wear a hat,though. I just hope she doesn't get hypothermia Luckily the husband is going to the pub,so if its too much for her she can meet him there,warm up & get a cab home. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 There's human footprints all over our canal Clare too many sets to count! They've been writing words in the snow, I didn't read them, as they were short ones I could guess what they said As well as the fox, who has had a good sniff around , there's cat and duck prints too. I've just seen a headline about the folk who have frozen to death, awful Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 we now have about 6" of snow on the ground, plus freezing fog. just went out - to find the bunnies sitting out happily in the snow!! shooed them in and shut the WIR - lots of foxy tracks around at the moment. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 We didn't have any more snow last night, but it was very cold this morning. When I got in the car to go to work the temperature read -3c. It's only a 10 minute drive, but halfway there the temp had dropped to -10c!!!!! And the sun was shining! I've never known it that cold during the day before. It was still -4c when I came home at 3pm. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
grracee Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 We've not had any until now but it's just started to snow quite heavy and is sticking fast!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BarbaraJ Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 I think we are in a bermuda triangle, 30mins-1hr in any direction and it seems theres loads of snow , we have clear roads and about 1'' if that of snow but blooming cold!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 My snow pics are ***here*** in my blog. I'm afraid it takes too long and too much faff to load them onto photobucket! Enjoy! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Geoid Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 Not that bad around here, all the main roads (and a lot of the minor roads) are all nice and gritted, its only -4*C, so im still on my bike. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
grracee Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 Just started very heavily here again. Not the best picture because of it being dark! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 That's a lovely picture! Very Narnia Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 Have spent most of today clearing the drive, and it is snowing heavily. Again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 No more snow here. Just had freezing fog all day. And to top that off tonight its meant to rain and then the temp will drop to -5! Which is nice Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 Snowing here now too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 It reached -5.5 an hour ago, but it is getting (much) warmer now. Up to -2 in around 30 minutes, so I think snow is on the way Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...