Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

I watched American Sniper yesterday and I would recommend it. I have seen negative reviews but I'm not happy with those. I actually think it was a quite important film that for me focused on the effects on soldiers' mental health. I have a small insight into the mind of a military person and I am glad to see all the effects of war in a film. I'm pleased with Clint Eastwood for this film. I think it's incredibly difficult for troops to come back after war and the film does reflect that. I don't care that it focused on American actions, it was made by Americans after all. I plan to watch the film about Kajaki when I can.

I don't think it glorified or glamorised war -quite the opposite.

One action in particular was similar to one related to me and I feel a new understanding of how scary that must have been.

There were a lot of people watching the film and at the end there was just a respectful silence. It was quite emotional.

That's interesting PL, I had wanted to see that one, but was dubious after reading the reviews.

A colleague was telling me today about a man they'd seen on The One Show; a Jew who had worked with the Germans in WWII; apparently there's a separate programme about this man coming out - does anyone know anything about it?

My sink was leaking the other day, filling the cupboards with water. Quickly concluded the tap was to blame, so spent most of yesterday removing old pipes, adding a new tap etc. Only to find there was still water leaking. It was the dishwasher, which just needed a screw to be tightened... :roll::lol:

I am so fed up with bad manners I think I will start a one woman revolt. I nipped into Lidls today ( a victim of its own success) its now full of gormless people standing around blocking aisles. I felt someone edging their trolley upto my ample rear not once, not twice but 3 times :evil: no "excuse me could you move your booty, ample buttocks or shapely rear please" - oh no just push push push. I was trapped with a guy in front who wasnt going anywhere so I turned round and said " can you stop pushing please I cant go anywhere" - the old boy pushing the trolley smiled sweetly. Actually what I wanted to say was " do that again grandad and I'll insert the trolley where the sun fails to shine" but am too much of a lady - yes I am. Its not the first time I have encountered rudeness in this shop - for some reason I dont seem to get it anywhere else. But I know that fellow Omleteers know differently. I have got off my soap box and breathe..............

Sad news about the body of an 18 year old student from Los Angeles being found on the beach in St Andrews, a bit close to home home for me, my son is also 18 and just started second term there. He didn't know the student, but it has really hit home with him. My thoughts are with his family, I can only imagine the pain that they must be feeling. This comes so soon after the death of a student in Durham. Gone too soon. :(

As you know my daughter is there and 18 too she has just called and she told me about that - its so sad, he lived at the same accommodation as her but she didn't know him. I've asked her to make sure she doesn't end up getting separated from her friends when she's out and to get a taxi home if she does.

Thats the second student in this academic year (assuming it is his body they found today) that has died, there was a 2nd year maths student found dead in his room around November time, he wasn't in her hall but she knew who he was as he had some classes with her.

I can't imagine how the families must feel.

Q. Why did the chicken cross the road?

A. Because it thought it was a pheasant :roll:

I can't believe that number if suicidal pheasants around here at the moment; they obviously escaped all the local shoots, which have now mostly finished.

Same here - thing is, pheasants have wings and can fly so why WALK (or in their case saunter leisurely, changing their mind about direction half way) across the road?

Then of course, you see one and you know there's at least one more going to follow it. They really are dim!