Luvachicken

Who has an Easter tree ?

When I worked at pre-school last year, one of the children told me that he was hoping to get some kind of dressing up outfit under the Easter tree.

Times have definitely changed since I was little.

I have seen the twiggy little offerings in shops before but I just wondered how many of you actually have an Easter tree.

One of my friends has one and it does look quite sweet with little Eastery things hanging on it.

What do you all think ?

I have an Easter tree, well a few twiggy branches from the garden with paper mâché Easter eggs hung on it. I've not got it installed yet, hubby moans the whole time it is out as he dislikes decorations/trinkets but I think it cheers up the living room. We do not have presents under the tree that would be a step too far!

I usually put some pussy willow in a vase and have a lot of decorated eggs and chicks which go round the bottom.I also have a Mrs Rabbit and a Mr Rabbit and some stuff I got in USA before decorating at Easter became popular here.My wee display is out all April.It brightens up the hall and my grand kids and foster children love it.I just thinks its nice to acknowledge the different seasons/ traditions/ festivals throughout the year and have special times.We also do daybreak Easter service at beach.Also since I was little the Easter Bunny has hopped hopped up the stairs to leave everyone a chocolate Easter egg.

We make one too to hang decorations on, we go out and collect sticks from the wood and plant them in a pot and hang eggs or things the children have made on for when the children have an egg hunt. We don't say the eggs are from the Easter bunny though. When I was young we always made an Easter garden in a seed tray with moss, a path, little pot with flowers and Jesus' tomb. We always have a family lunch similar to Christmas lunch on the Sunday and the children look forward to it nearly as much as Christmas.

Bad enough trying to get our Christmas tree out let alone an easter tree! Hubby would have apoplexy! Actually . . . thinking about it . . . would be fun to see him spluttering over it! Mwah ha haaaaarrr!

We used to do egg hunts around the garden when the younguns where small. I don't really like giving easter eggs either as I feel it's all packaging and well, a bag of little Cadbury eggs are more fun. Or the bag of Galaxy caramel ones. And I'm not having either as I want to lose weight. So I'm making everyone else in the household chubby instead.

My in-laws do, they got the idea on a trip to Latvia a few years back, they also bought some lovely decorations too. Never heard of leaving presents under the tree though. The Easter Bunny does bring choccie eggs for the boys, they are left on the fireplace, just because it's the easiest place. When I was little our eggs were left outside our bedroom doors.

As it is Ostara tomorrow, I shall bring in a few twigs of Ash & Hazel from our fields. These will go in a jug & I will then decorate with eggs, wooden hares, crochet flowers etc right up until Choccy egg Easter Sunday. I will also bury a hen egg near the entrance to our house.

I like traditions, but I don't like them when they become Americanised!

Emma.x

As it is Ostara tomorrow, I shall bring in a few twigs of Ash & Hazel from our fields. These will go in a jug & I will then decorate with eggs, wooden hares, crochet flowers etc right up until Choccy egg Easter Sunday. I will also bury a hen egg near the entrance to our house.

I like traditions, but I don't like them when they become Americanised!

Emma.x

That sounds nice.

Can I ask why you bury an egg at the entrance to your house though ?

I have created a decoration - like a tree with branches and little decorative eggs :wink:

Always done it since the boys were young - and will do for years to come, as it has become my thing to do - not sure why :think:

Just seems reassuring to recognise spring and new life - even if not religious :D

The burying of an egg near the entrance of ones home is a ' spell '. It is to bring prosperity to the year ahead of us & fertility to the garden. It signifies the circle of life. It is not a religious thing, it is literally a spell.

Emma.x

I like the sound of that.

No Easter tree here. :shameonu:

We build up to Easter by having Pancakes on shrove Tuesday followed by getting Ashed at communion on Ash Wednesday.

This is followed by 40 days and nights of self denial ( Not coffee or chocolate this year , I really suffer ) This year I am putting money in a jar for wateraid and trying to do more for others....only having mothering Sunday off this year( but the money is what I would have spent on biscuits and cake ). We have Lenten study groups and look forward to Palm Sunday before Easter.. Quite Old fashioned and traditional I'm afraid , and even my 4 yr old GD has given up her sweeties this year to put her pennies into the wateraid jar.

My Grand children don't get easter eggs from me either as they get far too many from the rest of the family.

From me they all get a new outfit of clothes to wear , and the girls love pretty summery dresses and the boys like trendy jeans and t shirts for the summer.

No a tree will be kept for Christmas , and if I'm honest I could do without that in favour of a lovely nativity scene.