Olly

Folding clothes

I am not obsessively tidy, far from it so I'm always looking for tips to be more organised. I keep reading about Marie Kondo but it just sounds too weird to me. Last night however I came across

about how to fold your undies. Once you get the hang of it it's so easy, I made myself late for work this morning because I couldn't stop till I'd folded the whole drawer :oops:

I just had to share it with you! Does anyone else do this?

I love folding clothes, for me it's one of those simple repetitive tasks that are strangely therapeutic. I reckon that carefully folded clothes cut out hours of ironing. I truly can't remember when I last ironed anything. I like doing the t shirt thing on youtube, I have my own way of folding knickers, I like them to look like they do when you buy them and all lined up in the drawer.

I find fitted sheets annoying because of the elastic corners but apparently there is a method for those which I must look up.

It's odd really because I'm quite a higgeldy-piggeldy kind of person normally.

I've got the perfect method down for fitted sheets.

Fold double, tuck in corners into eachother. Fold double again and tuck in corners so you have all the elastic corners tucked into eachother. Then lay flat, fold in the rest of the elasticated side to about one third, fold over the other side so you have a long flat sheet. You can fold that into anything that fits your closet.

Let's keep it to that I was taught well and have a mum that likes everything ironed and folded neatly... :whistle:

My mother-in-law (whom I adored) used to iron EVERYTHING. It came out of the washing machine and passed through her ironing basket - socks, bras, pants - I think she drew the line at tights! I hardly iron anything if I can help it, and as I said I am far from being tidy.

I completely agree that life is too short to spend on doing things for the sake of it, but I can't believe how much neater my drawers are ( :lol: ) having learned this trick. It's going to make packing a suitcase so much easier.

Not sure I care enough about how my knickers look when they're in a drawer :lol: . I did watch the video and also the one about the fitted sheets but I'm not sure I want to spend minutes every day folding :lol: .

The only thing I iron is OH's work shirts. The time I'll save not folding my undies is spent hanging things up carefully so I don't have to iron!

I'm not the keenest ironer. I only do the absolute essentials but do iron bedding for guests.

My dislike for ironing peaked when my little boy was bought a beautiful shirt with built in 'pants'. Oh my word. I have never felt frustration like it, trying to wield a big hot iron around a tiny crumpled garment. He doesn't wear it very often :lol:

I fold my washing as carefully as I can and then place in in a big pile on top of my Rayburn airer, where it irons itself :oops::whistle:

An interesting way to fold them, and one to use for holiday packing I feel :wink:

I do fold my fitted sheets how cats tails mentioned. It does make the airing cupboard much easier to cope with. I only iron school shirts currently, plus my daughters shirts if they don't make it through the tumble dryer uncrumpled. Other than that, everything else gets folded as soon as its dried and any little creases tend to disappear. Or I am now just crease blind :wink:

:lol:

After having accidentally bought big pants - how I hate those, I roll those so I know which ones they are - I'm using them first so they wear out quicker. The next size down is just folded so I know which ones they are. Then it's a matter of just folding the shorts in half and the bikini or whatever they are in half and popped in the drawer leg to gusset. I can fit them in better that way. Of course they stay in pristine folded condition because I'm only using the ugly things. They will go on holiday with me and won't be coming back home!

I thank the person on FB who posted the fitted sheet thing. Boy is that a godsend! I feel a bit like a windmill with my arms all over the place when doing the king sized fitted sheets though. Other than that the normal sheets get folded in half and in half again. Ironed and folded as I iron so that only the top half is done. Who sees the bit by your feet anyway?

I only do t-shirts on one side and they get folded. I've given up with DD as she just screws hers up and pulls things from the pile. Although sometimes I fold them if she's on a cleaning spree. I'm now looking across the room at a shopping carrier bag stuffed with paired socks that hasn't made it into her bedroom. :evil: It will be making it's way into the garage if it's there tomorrow along with a pile of folded clothes. All in a bin bag very, very soon.

My own stuff - if it's rubbish clothes I don't bother. If it's nice clothes then I do iron and most go on hangers in my wardrobe and only the jumpers get folded. Some don't even need ironing. Work shirts do get ironed though. Oh and a cursory glide over OH's trousers :shh: don't tell him I don't do them properly - with the heat and the folding they do themselves anyway!