Omlet have launched a new version of the Cube. It looks more like a bigger Go now

click

So what do you all think of it?

I own 3 Cubes and a Go. I'd like to see one in the flesh to see if it feels solid like the current cube or a bit flimsy, like the current Go.

• +Door opener on the new Cube is probably better thab the old one.

• +Single tray is possibly better, depends on how unwieldy it is.

• +Roosting bars better than on the Go (where the roosting bars and nestbox are one piece).

• +Closable nestbox could be helpful in some circumstances.

• +Skirt arrangement is better as it can be removed/flipped up making the whole thing narrower when moving. I find my Cubes a bit of a pain to move because of the extra width each side.

• +ability to open back without having to slide roof forward (Thank you Mrs B. for pointing that out)

• ? Not sure about the wheels. I don't find the Go ones very robust. I'd need to see these in the flesh

• -Door on the end isn't great, better to be able to put door panels in the sides as well

• -Think they missed a trick in not providing a way of propely dividing the nestbox for those of us with hens that won't share. Especially as we've asked and asked for that in the past.

Other views please?

Edited by Guest

I am tempted (see my post elsewhere on forum) but not sure if it is as big as the original cube as it states 10 bantam size hens.

At least the god awful ladder has been changed.

For those such as myself with a non Omlet WIR having the cube pushed against the run the ability to remove the back panel without having to push the roof forward is a real temptation as I found the cube unweildy to use myself (and the wheels rubbish).

I also like the option of closing off the nest box, useful with a broody hen that you don't want in nest box.

Ithe ability to remove the back panel without having to push the roof forward is a real temptation as I found the cube unweildy to use myself.

Good point, I'm going to add that to my list, thank you.

I am tempted (see my post elsewhere on forum) but not sure if it is as big as the original cube as it states 10 bantam size hens./quote]

I'm not sure I'd want 10 hens in an original cube either. I've had 7 in there, and I wouldn't really want to have more than 8. And only that many because ours have a big walk in run and free range all day.

It does look very like the go up.

Bonus points:

Door opener like the go

Back opens without sliding the roof

Slider door on nest box

It can have automatic door opener (launching Spring 2017)

Negatives

A tad smaller than cube

Sloping go sides which need those awful go feeders

Run door panel can only fit on end

Run; less floor space & hight than the old cube

More expensive than cube

Personally, I like the look of it but I think the prices are getting a tad ridiculous.

I wouldn't pay the extra

Not so keen on the new one - it looks all square and industrial. Give me the original rounded "caravan" any time.

When I had 12 girls, they all used to pack in one cube, even though there were two available, but they did free-range all day.

I found the top door opener on the eglu could seize up after a while and had to be oiled. Never had a problem with the side opener on the cube, however you do have to allow extra room at the side to open the door.

Why is the new roof in two parts?

Actually, I've just seen that Omlet have marginally reduced the cost of the original cube, so maybe I will go for that one...

For me, given the, no offence Omlet, extortionate cost of the products, I am always going to be looking for the best offer! I'm always keeping my eye out on eBay for second hand Eglus - if I can save myself £100+, I want to!

AndyRoo - Omlet used to have ex display cubes occasionally that were slightly reduced in price - it's worth ringing them to find out if they're still doing this - it's how we got ours. The cube was in perfect condition and is still going strong with no replacement bits nearly 7 years later!

Mine are ex-display too; I live just round the corner from Omlet Towers, so just popped by to pick up.

Interesting to read about the new model, I am interested to see one myself as it's not possible to tell if it's made from the same method/material as the original Eglu/Cube, or if it's cheap and flimsy like the Go.

I like that everyone is waxing lyrical about the design of the original Cube; when we met up with the team for an early design preview, everyone hated the look of it, and it was likened to a Reliant Robin! :lol:

AndyRoo - Omlet used to have ex display cubes occasionally that were slightly reduced in price - it's worth ringing them to find out if they're still doing this - it's how we got ours. The cube was in perfect condition and is still going strong with no replacement bits nearly 7 years later!

Thanks - someone mentioned that before, and I did ask, but they didn't have any last time I checked.

I don't think they're carrying as much 'active' stock as they used to, I was told it would be a couple of weeks for the cube - and possibly several months for the walk-in run! :(

Don't like it. They made the Walk in Run "improved" but it's smaller and more expensive. They've done the same with the cube. I am perfectly happy with the original cube and would not hesitate to buy the same one again.

Wouldn't want a door to close off the laying area. My girls are often laying or have laid before I get up in the summer. A partition would have been better.

I like the look of the vents, I wouldn't shut the nest box divide on a regular basis but can see how it could be useful if needed, I use a wooden divide to make two nest boxes which they do use if one is occupied but on the whole they prefer the front one as it is darker as the light grey back panel lets too much light in so disappointed that the colour hasn't been changed to a darker one. A darker smaller nest box is supposed to stop the other hens being attracted to the laying hens egg or vent when laying. Probably not a concern to some people but I had a horrendous experience when first had the cube when one hen pecked another's vent probably during laying and then all the hens joined in when I went out the site I found stays with me! The nest box drainage hole looks to be smaller good for people who use the run. Mine still leaks in the nest box but I use a technique to soak it up with a flexi chopping board on top then aubiose even so would still prefer it to wood.