Charlottechicken

Doris

Well, warming up now after a power cut for the past three hours, courtesy of hurricane Doris. House is being well and truly battered, curtains are blowing upstairs even though the windows are shut :shock: Western Power have just unloaded a busful of workers in the village so I imagine there's more cuts to come.

I understand from the news though that a lady in Wolverhampton has lost her life due to some falling debris :(

Hope everyone else is sitting tight with hatches well and truly battened!

not quite the windiest I've know around here but it comes pretty close nearly had the rear door wrenched of the van this morning wind then was blowing more or less West to East which for here means that there's no higher point between the Atlantic/Irish sea and the north sea other the Us

also means I have a right game keeping the fire burning but

So far all we have had is some snow and not a lot really just about an inch which melted and we had showers all day - no wind at all. FYI - we drilled a hole in the side of the bin - there is a wing bit - each side and threaded bungy cord through and over the top and it keeps the lid closed on the recycling bins - if they fall over they dont spill all the stuff thankfully - we are at the top of a hill so usually get blasted. The bin men just pull it off fine.

Oh Doris, Doris, Doris, you bad, bad girl Doris! So sad a poor lady died by masonry falling. :(

A little breezy here - with mucho interest on that!!! :shock: Some of our oak smaller branches fell but not many - she's a sturdy old thing (plus we have a tree man that trims her up regularly and she gets all the dead stuff taken off to healthier wood before they drop) but she was rocking almost head banging with the best of them - oh here we are and here we are and here we go . . . ! The extra plastic cover on the cube kept blowing up but thankfully it was quite well tethered - closing the door last night and the offending flap was pegged in. Next door's lime tree always loses branches in the wind - he had people in recently but they didn't take off the dead branches - I could see them quite clearly and expected them to come down. Thankfully the bigger ones landed on his lawn and I had to clear our driveway of rather large but smaller branches so many times! Lots of fences down and only a couple of smaller trees that had come down but cleared in our travels. Seemed to fare lightly here. A lot of ash debris along the road from smaller bits that were mushed into the tarmac.

Heard about the loss of power in Oxfordshire on the radio this morning - they didn't mention elsewhere but I wasn't surprised because Doris was such a mare!

She blew quite a hoolie here yesterday. I took the dog for a walk on the local field as our usual one is through a park with lots of trees. She nearly got blown over during one strong gust!

It was bin day here yesterday, and the empties were trying to fly away. Next doors was slowly making it way to our front door. We put our bins out at our old house - I just hope they were emptied by the bin men, and didn't get blown over and emptied themselves all over the road :shock:

I took the dog to the park for her evening walk, and there were quite a lot of branches on the ground. A small avenue of huge fir trees was cordoned off with tape and cones as well, though I couldnt see any limbs that had or were about to fall. Maybe just a precaution.

It was so sad someone died during it yesterday :(

Much calmer today - it's been a long time since I've seen wind like we had yesterday. Pretty scary stuff!

Discovered this morning that we've lost 5 fence panels so have just spent time outside trying to patch it up before we join the long queue of people wanting new fences :roll:

Yesterday we heard a crash from outside and found a couple of roof tiles smashed on the patio, but not from our roof - they're the wrong colour. No idea where they've come from as the neighbour's roofs all seem fine.

And the bird table has been smashed to pieces too.

But the lights stayed on fortunately so we didn't have that to deal with unlike some other folk, and the house is still in one piece and the ladies are all fine too. So a lot to be thankful for really.