The Dogmother

Easter accident

Sorry to hear of the accident DM and a finger problem can make a big difference to your life if it doesn't heal well so take it easy!!

Surely if a moving car hits a stationary car then the car that's moving will always be at fault and their insurance will pay up :? I've probably missed something in your post. Good luck anyway.

Surely if a moving car hits a stationary car then the car that's moving will always be at fault and their insurance will pay up :? I've probably missed something in your post. Good luck anyway.

That's my assumption too Plum :D One would be forgiven for thinking that this could be resolved quickly

The driver drove off, so my first concern was that he wasn't insured; turn out that he is.... with the same company as me.

Insurance company is being a bit dim :roll: they called the other day and asked for photos of the damage to my car and finger - I had already emailed them across when asked; they evening of the accident. I sent them again, both as JPGs and a PDF file. Chap rang me mid-week to say that he hadn't seen the files, so couldn't assess the damage :evil: I sent them again, while he was on the phone, so he could see them ping into the box.

This is all getting rather wearing.

They'd be a bit sharper if it was another insurance company. If you had lost the finger it would be a tidy sum. You're seeing a consultant so you'll have the evidence.

When I had a car accident the insurance company sent me to see an orthopaedic surgeon who encouraged me to lay it on thick for injuries. I didn't have lasting injuries and didn't lie so didn't get much compensation but I know the amount for legal fees for the claim was high. Guess they'll not be so keen to claim against themselves.

Sooo, the insurers have been in touch; they have finally seen the photos I sent, and will be assessing the damage today. I hope to hear back by close of play as I am back at work next week, and it will be more difficult for them to reach me.

They did tell me that the owner of the van hasn't responded to their requests to get in touch; OH wonders if the owner wasn't driving the van themselves, and perhaps the driver wasn't insured on it.

Ahhh, so I can partly answer that...

The insurers have rung me back, and on the evidence of the photos I sent them, the car has been written off :roll: I am still driving it, but carefully and on short journeys only. They have offered £1,700 write-off value, which is probably about right. For my excess of £200 + £38, I can buy it back so that I can continue to use it until I can buy another car (Gaawwwd, the hassle is endless). So the answer to that is that they can settle without speaking to the other party. I haven't accepted this offer yet.

I have spoken to my legal cover, and they are going to pursue him for damages (broken finger) and they are also going to find a dog-friendly hire car for me to drive. We are sort of getting there, although I will only be able to replace like with like, but that's all I need at the moment.

Progress, a relief for you to get a reasonable offer already at least you can plan but sounds like it could be a fight for the finger compensation but hopefully the legal department does it all for you. Perhaps the police would shake him up or is it too late to report it?

Sorry to hear about your accident DM. Good job you saw what happened and got his number.

Sorry to hear about your finger, I hope it is starting to feel a bit better.

I did try to post a few days ago but Omlet wouldn't let me for some reason and kept saying there was an error, hopefully this will work.

I hope you get everything sorted out soon.

Chrissie

They did tell me that the owner of the van hasn't responded to their requests to get in touch; OH wonders if the owner wasn't driving the van themselves, and perhaps the driver wasn't insured on it.

The owner of the van must disclose who was driving at the time. It is an offence not to.

It is also an offence not to produce documents when requested to do so.

This doesn't look good for the owner (and driver) of the van.

I hope your finger is feeling better!

Thanks F, that is helpful to know. Finger looks a lot more normal now, but is still sore and doing some things is a challenge.

Plan formulated now.... accept their offer of write-off value and buy back car; mechanic friend will buy it from me for a bit more than the release price. Get hire car sorted, and look online for another old 4x4. I like to have a plan! Back at work tomorrow, so will be very busy, and little time to get it all organised. :roll:

Hmm, daft developments; the legal cover, having told me that I MUST have a courtesy car as mine wasn't roadworthy (they would say that as they get a commission for arranging it) now won't give me one as the other party isn't contactable. Not sure what relevance that has, but I have accepted 'without prejudice' the insurance company's offer for writing it off and letting me keep my car. I will continue to drive it carefully until I can get another one, when a mechanic friend wants to buy it off me for parts.

Just an update on this; the write-off offer was accepted, not enough to get another one the same, but found a lovely one on Autotrader in Birmingham. A year older, but quite a lot less mileage and in brilliant nick. Very pleased indeed.

Sort of good news on the 3rd party... he had disappeared, but after prompting turned up at the police station and gave a statement admitting his guilt - said that he was 'distracted when he dropped a cigarette in his lap', Hmmm, wonder if he was on the phone! The odd thing is that he gave them a new address and when I looked it up on google maps, it doesn't seem to exist! :roll:

Still waiting for news on the settlement for the hand injury, could take ages as the solicitors are doing a Legal Wheelbarrow impression - still where you left it when you stop pushing. :roll:

Wheelbarrow! :lol: New to me too! Glad you've found a good replacement and all's going well.

DD has just had her car back after someone hit her from behind. Woman had been tailgating but unfortunately a deer jumped out in front of DD and she braked. Woman didn't. Luckily her man was with her.

How's the injury? I couldn't have a plaster on my ankle - some sort of allergic reaction (bright red and extremely itchy and burning sensation) so moon boot it was.