Guest Posted March 20, 2008 Share Posted March 20, 2008 thanks guys. Spoke to mum this morning and she said dad's saying he doesn't want the op. We all know what will happen if he doesn't so mum's trying to talk some sense into him. I've told her to ring us if she wants us to come and talk to him but I think they just need some time now to come to terms with what needs to happen so we're leaving them alone. We're only 5 minutes drive away and I've told her to call if there's anything she needs or if she wants us to come round. I just feel totally helpless. I think I'm dragging you all down too and you don't need to hear about all my problems so I'll just leave it at that. Looks like the weather is going to be lousy this weekend so if it is, we're going to Harringtons http://www.discover.co.uk/ to look at camper vans. We had some brilliant hols in our caravan when we were kids and, as I said on that other thread, we've wanted a camper van for years. Can't really afford it but life's too short to worry about money eh? What we might do is sell my car (I don't need it now I'm not at work) and then get a loan for the rest. We won't go mad, we just want a decent 2nd hand van. I'll keep you posted on the van hunt, thanks for tips about the MOT etc, good advice and I'll bear it in mind. TTFN hope you have a good Easter weekend whatever you're doing xxxxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ziggy Posted March 20, 2008 Share Posted March 20, 2008 I think I'm dragging you all down too and you don't need to hear about all my problems so I'll just leave it at that. Poet of course it's always up to you to feel whether you wish to share your problems or not, but just wanted to say never think you are dragging people down... of course sometimes it might feel better not to talk about one's trouble, and everybody here will I'm sure understand that, but if and whenever you wish to keep sharing, most people here will be more than willing to read and keep offering encouraging words... It sounds like many people on here are having a tough time, hopefully soon everybody will be finding things easier and having better times... Take good care. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Frugal Posted March 20, 2008 Share Posted March 20, 2008 I think I'm dragging you all down too and you don't need to hear about all my problems so I'll just leave it at that. Justine, if it helps you to post on here, do. No one begrudges you doing this and if they don't want to read it, they don't have to. You've got plenty of support from forum members and if it is helping you through this difficult time, keep on posting. Best of luck to your Dad. I hope your Mum is able to convince him that the operation is the right thing to do. It's awful feeling helpless but your parents know you're nearby if they need you and that must be so comforting for them. Stay strong and have a good easter. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted March 20, 2008 Share Posted March 20, 2008 Best wishes to you and yours Poet, there are always plenty of (((hugs))) to go around. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tessa the Duchess Posted March 20, 2008 Share Posted March 20, 2008 Justine, if it helps you to post on here, do. No one begrudges you doing this and if they don't want to read it, they don't have to. You've got plenty of support from forum members and if it is helping you through this difficult time, keep on posting. Agree 100%. Considering I've never met any of you, I am surprised at how, when I first log on to the forum in the morning, I am already thinking "Gosh I wonder how Poet's dad is today, or, I hope ANH is having an easier time" people here do care Poet, and I for one will be sorry if you stop posting about your problems, unless of course you really don't want to. Take care and I hope you get a lovely campervan Tessa Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted March 20, 2008 Share Posted March 20, 2008 Off load all you like Poet. It helps to write your thoughts down sometimes. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted March 20, 2008 Share Posted March 20, 2008 I agree about getting the camper van. Life definitely is too short, go for it and have some fun! Best wishes to your mum and dad. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted March 20, 2008 Share Posted March 20, 2008 Poet, what others have said is spot on. If you feel it's a comfort (and I know I do) you keep on posting. I sometimes wonder if I should have started my "blog" as it does feel a bit strange posting about something so personal and private but it has certainly helped me commit to memory the order things happened (although that's perhaps not so relevant in your situation) and it's very comforting knowing that people are thinking about you and offering sympathy, advice or even specialist knowledge. Whatever makes it easier for you - we'll all be thinking about you and your family and would be sorry if you stopped posting because you think you're dragging us down (I'm pretty dragged down already so you can't do any damage there ). Best of luck to you all - I hope your mum manages to persuade your dad the op is the only option. Good luck with the camper van too . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Paola Posted March 20, 2008 Share Posted March 20, 2008 Sorry to hear about your Dad Poet Thinking of you and your family. Big squeezes coming your way Never worry about bringing us down, that is what we are here for Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted March 20, 2008 Share Posted March 20, 2008 thanks very much. I was reading Jools Holland's autobiog last night (one of my piano heroes) and he quoted a line from a Bessie Smith song "When you think I'm laughing, I'm laughing just to keep from crying..." And that's kind of how I feel at the moment, I need to laugh, I might go back to Sainsburys for another go on that trolley xxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cate in NZ Posted March 20, 2008 Share Posted March 20, 2008 Only just caught up with this, but just wanted to agree with everything that's already been said, and to wish you and your family well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
riane Posted March 20, 2008 Share Posted March 20, 2008 sending lots of support and love to you and your family Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted March 20, 2008 Share Posted March 20, 2008 As Kate said, if people don't want to know, they don't have to come in and read. Have fun looking for a camper van Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
missuscluck Posted March 20, 2008 Share Posted March 20, 2008 Oh no. So sorry to hear about your dad. What a worry. Dont mind about off loading on here. Its very theraputic to put things down in writing and so nice when people write back such nice thoughts. We are all thinking of you. Hope you have a good time at Harringtons looking at the vans. Hope you find a good one. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
theherd123 Posted March 20, 2008 Share Posted March 20, 2008 .... I need to laugh, I might go back to Sainsburys for another go on that trolley Hey if it feels good - DO IT!!! Whizz round Sainsburys on that trolley to your hearts content Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Joojoo Posted March 20, 2008 Share Posted March 20, 2008 Hi Justine. I just want to echo whats already been said - you come on here as and when you want to. Everyone is different in how they deal with things, but you are definitely not dragging anyone down. Everyone is concerned about you and if any of us can help even if it's something as simple as making you smile, or by offering advice then we will. Take care & lots of love & hugs Jue xx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Fur 'n' Feathers Posted March 21, 2008 Share Posted March 21, 2008 Oh no. So sorry to hear about your dad. What a worry. Dont mind about off loading on here. Its very theraputic to put things down in writing and so nice when people write back such nice thoughts. We are all thinking of you.Hope you have a good time at Harringtons looking at the vans. Hope you find a good one. Just caught up with this Poet and 100% echo all that's been said so far. We had a camper van for nearly 10 years (the "Beast") He was lovely. Sold him when our lifestyle changed but many happy memories. Have great fun at Harringtons and enjoy yourselves this weekend. Treat it as an oasis and don't feel guilty about posting. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted March 21, 2008 Share Posted March 21, 2008 thanks everyone mum said they've had a letter from the hospital to say the op has been moved fwd to the 4th. She said he's going to have the op so fingers x'd he doesn't have a wobble and change his mind. sis and her OH are staying with us t'row night so gotta get the place ship shape. ttfn xxxxxxxxxxxxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jules. Posted March 21, 2008 Share Posted March 21, 2008 Thanks for keeping us up to date, Justine Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted March 21, 2008 Share Posted March 21, 2008 Oh good, I'm glad he's accepted he has to get it done. That must be a relief for you all. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rona Posted March 21, 2008 Share Posted March 21, 2008 Hope all goes well with the op. Hugs for you and your family Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
theherd123 Posted March 21, 2008 Share Posted March 21, 2008 Im sure the op will go really well. Lots of love and hugs for you xoxoxoxoxox Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted March 21, 2008 Share Posted March 21, 2008 What a trying time Poet. I'm sure the op will go well. All the best to you and your Family. C x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted March 21, 2008 Share Posted March 21, 2008 thanks again all. DH is currently suffering from the flu, Mariana and Fatima are looking very sorry for themselves, both holed up in the coop so I can't clean it out (hope it's just softies on the way). The house is a tip and my sister and OH are supposed to be coming to stay t'row and she's just told me they've lost shore power on the boat! Anyway, best get back to it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted March 22, 2008 Share Posted March 22, 2008 he's changed his mind again, mum said he's saying he's too old to go through all that. He's 80. I assume if he has a tumour on his bowel (like last time) that it will just keep getting bigger until he's in the same state he was last time (vomiting his own waste and at death's door!). I said to mum that surely he'd suffer less by having the op than by not having it. She said she knows but she has to stand by his decision. They're speaking to the GP next week. Hopefully the GP will talk him round. I can't go and see him at the moment as DH has the flu and I don't want to take the risk of giving it to my dad. It's getting harder to stay positive Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...