craftyhunnypie

What have you all been making?

Yes you've been busy. Mirror is beautiful, I love lime greens and love all your little people and the crocheted ones. :D

The pen pot cover is fun, I've got a few that would benefit from being covered good idea :D

Just wondering how the surround for my laptop screen would look decopatched. Hope OH doesn't read this :lol:

Ive started a hexagon blanket-i'm hoping for it to go on our SK bed-if I can stay motivated-i'm thinking it'll be at least 200 hexagons, and so far I have done nearly 30..in 2-3 weeks..and its half term next week so hopefully a busy week coming up!

I am using a mixture of Rowan cotton and Debbie Bliss cotton..seem to prefer the Rowan tho

Using Attic 24 for my pattern

I made a quilted (yes quilted,omg) Thomas The Tank Engine wall hanging for my nephew yesterday. I'm quite chuffed with it. I'll photograph it tomorrow, along with a few other things to show you. Not been well today, so hopefully I'll feel much more up to doing stuff tomorrow. I too have been crocheting hexagons for a while now. All in a stack, but for photographing, I'll lay them all out. Mine aren't an Attic24 pattern, but from somewhere else on the net. I make literally allsorts, but then forget to take photos. Oops! So about time I showed you all what I get up to.

Emma.x

Pretty scarf and the colours are beautiful,I have been making another granny square bag for my sil bday she loves purples so thought would go with a subtle lilac hope she likes it,also made another funky yarn scarf in shades of blue and green keeping a statsh of these for forgotten bdays as so quick and easy to knit up.

Is my birthday next weekend so have asked oh for a sewing machine as would like to learn to use one and love handmade quilts but hate the price of them so thought I could do that!!!Have been watching alot of you tube videos and scouring the web for a decent machine that doesnt cost too much.So any suggestions would be greatley received :D

12-2-2012piccys015.jpg

There's been a thread on this recently - here.

I've got this one from John Lewis and I'd say you can't go wrong with that for a beginner - £99, it is branded John Lewis but made by Janome so it's easy to get additional feet for it. I am envious when I see the fancy stitches some other machines can do, but in reality this has got everything you'd need for most craft/household projects. If you haven't used a machine before, I highly recommend this book - Me and My Sewing Machine by Kate Haxell. It explains tension and stitch length and so on, and has some great pictures showing you how to do seams, finish raw edges, put in zips and so on. I'd consider myself a fairly experienced sewer, but I hadn't used an electric machine before which is why I bought it, and it's very helpful.

Help! I've patched together some fabric squares on my machine - not perfect but looks lovely, now I'm stuck! Do I make a sandwich now using the 'top' I've made, some wadding & some backing fabric all the same size - then quilt it? Or do I do something else at this stage? After that what do I do to the edges? Sorry very confused.

Emma.x

Ooh I have nearly finished my quilt type throw thing ! It's the first time I have been brave enough to attempt sewing/crafting (was rubbish at school!) Has only taken about a year! I am now back into making mode so even though I have finished the one in the picture I am already planning my next project!

107_0016.jpg

Don't study the carpet too hard-I have not hoovered in what seems ages!!

More important things like sewing. Your throw is really pretty. :D

Emma I cut the backing and wadding about 2" bigger than quilt. Iron top and backing. Lay the backing on table/floor and tape it down with masking tape then lay wadding on and quilt top. Then pin it together with safety/quilt pins or tack with really big stitches in rows about 3" apart then quilt.

Nowadays there are adhesive sprays I think you can use or plastic tag things and probably other ways. If it's just a little wall hanging I might just use flower head pins.

Again you could bag it out :?

Why haven't we seen it yet :think::D

You haven't seen it because it's not ironed or perfect. The lining up of my squares is a lot to be desired! :lol:

However, my other project from my craft class will look much better, as that is hand sewn & uses card inside each shape.

Snowy, do you also cut your stuff 2" wider? :anxious:

How on earth do I bind? Yikes! I need you & Plum here as my teachers!

Emma.x

:lol: You better get a book.

What I do is cut 2 and 1/2 " strips then fold and iron in half lengthways. measure quilt from top to bottom in middle and cut 2 lengths that length. Pin to front of side edges of quilt and sew 1/4" seam. Fold to back and slip stitch.

Then measure quilt side to side in middle and cut 2 lengths plus bit for turning corners. Sew to top edges on front with 1/4" seam again and fold to back tuck in corners to look neat and slip stitch. Easy :lol:

Never mind not matching my first quilt had blocks that seams were up to an inch out. If you don't believe me I'll find a picture :D

Oh my - I need a quilting for numpty's book with large photos! Will try & fathom out what you mean. :anxious:

Will photo it then tomorrow for you. Have got the Thomas thing I made on camera - so will upload that too. I'm quite proud of that one though. But I made that like a pillow case & put the wadding in after. :oops:

I really want to succeed at this quilting lark as I love the quilts that can be made! I must keep practicing.

Emma.x