patsylabrador

**Thread of little facts & things**

Anxious day as ES is driving down the motorway with his little brother for the first time solo :anxious: I still find it weird that they can pass a test without ever going on a motorway. I have taken him on it to get some experience and confidence but it is still a worry. I keep telling myself it is just a long straight road :anxious: Can't wait for them to come home. :pray:

If it's any consolation, you're less likely to have an accident on a motorway than regular road driving.

That's what I kept telling myself. Had a stressful afternoon after they got back as took 6 teenagers down the motorway for Nandos followed by seeing Ed Sheeran getting back at midnight. Great fun being in their company and I was particularly touched when 1/2 way through they passed a glass of water back through the crown for me - very thoughtful. Ed was brilliant :) Wish people wouldn't talk and film on their phones throughout though :roll:

Am really hacked off with Rosie's school at the moment; they had a tightening up on dress code over the summer (mainly to stop some little minxes wearing uber-short bandage skirts!) we bought new school trousers (lots of other girls have the same style now) and she's been wearing them without any problem. She's just called me between lessons to say that she's now on internal suspension 'because of her trousers'! This goes on her (so far unblemished) school record.

I have emailed her form tutor to ask him to look into it for me - I have neither the time nor the money do buy her yet more pairs of school trousers and turn them up!

There's one teacher who, by all accounts, isn't suited to teaching and gets really stressed up and ends up shouting at the class, so it might be that one :doh: Whilst I admire anyone who has the patience to teach, this is a top-stream, relatively well behaved class we're talking about here, some of the girls are a bit high-spirited but they're no real trouble.

The trousers in question are plain black, tapered smart trousers. Being lemmings, all the girls in that social group got them from the same shop so there are at least half a dozen of them wearing the same trews!

She's livid and so am I.

Am really hacked off with Rosie's school at the moment; they had a tightening up on dress code over the summer (mainly to stop some little minxes wearing uber-short bandage skirts!) we bought new school trousers (lots of other girls have the same style now) and she's been wearing them without any problem. She's just called me between lessons to say that she's now on internal suspension 'because of her trousers'! This goes on her (so far unblemished) school record.

The trousers in question are plain black, tapered smart trousers. Being lemmings, all the girls in that social group got them from the same shop so there are at least half a dozen of them wearing the same trews!

She's livid and so am I.

I don't blame you. Does the school have a recommended retailer for their uniform? My kids schools do this. My YD in particular can only have a certain skirt from the online shop, so if its out of stock for her size then we are in trouble. If they don't, then as long as the trousers are just normal, sensible, smart school trousers, then I can't see what the problem is :think: I hope you get a good response from her form tutor.

I don't blame you. Does the school have a recommended retailer for their uniform? My kids schools do this. My YD in particular can only have a certain skirt from the online shop, so if its out of stock for her size then we are in trouble. If they don't, then as long as the trousers are just normal, sensible, smart school trousers, then I can't see what the problem is :think: I hope you get a good response from her form tutor.

They only have a recommended supplier fro the blazer and tie, the rest have to conform to the regulations but can be bought from anywhere. Frankly I'd be happier if they just told them all to get them from one supplier to rule out any doubt.

What are they saying is wrong with her trousers :? Surely it would have been more appropriate to warn her about them first.

Having OKed them, they are now saying that they are too narrow at the bottom. I have checked them and they fit over her ankle boots which she wears in the winter (and that is the stipulation on the school website). They are not black jeans or a leggings style, just smart, tapered trousers.

I have spoken to her tutor over lunch and he admits that he's caught between two camps here; he agrees that it's ludicrous that a) Rosie has been suspended from lessons without notice b) that she hasn't been given any warning about this and c) that they have suddenly decided to change the rules after I bought her new trousers just before the start of term.

She is not allowed to return to lessons until she has suitable trousers... I am stuck at work and only able to get to any shops tonight. The only places open then will be Te$co or sainsbury; I have no idea whether any of them will have suitable trews in her size in stock... then they will no doubt need turning up etc :roll:

I shall be reminding her head of upper school later and reminding him that he is paid to educate my child rather than to isolate her without any prior warning and exclude her from lessons. I would at least expect a week's warning if they are going to change the goal posts like that.

HMRC are actually being efficient for once, and have realised I have paid too much tax and are sending me a cheque in the post :D

Not from a guy with a Nigerian name by any chance........ :lol:

No, its fully legit, I only had to navigate the maze that is HMRC's automated telephone and press about 100 different buttons and the website telling me I had to phone them up and the automated woman telling me I could find out online, until I could actually speak to someone, who told me what I needed to know in about 10 seconds.

But, I did get a shiny new computer today :D

She is not allowed to return to lessons until she has suitable trousers... I am stuck at work and only able to get to any shops tonight. The only places open then will be Te$co or sainsbury; I have no idea whether any of them will have suitable trews in her size in stock... then they will no doubt need turning up etc :roll:

I would be extremely cross if this happened to one of mine. I am all for smart uniform and discipline at school but common sense needs to be applied here. It is very unfair to treat a student with an unblemished record in this way :( They should give a warning and then allow a reasonable time to allow parents to comply. It takes me ages to get suitable shoes and trousers for my skinny kids and in the same position I would be in a right old flap. If you work 9-5 or similar you could have a real issue getting out to buy new trousers. It is such a shame as rules like this are only going to work if there is support from parents and this will be lost if they are going to be so heavy handed.

My view exactly!

if there had been a letter sent home or a warning dispensed then I wouldn't mind, but to have less than 24 hours to find her a new pair of trews isn't very helpful. She doesn't fit into school uniform wear either as she's 5'3" and a curvy size 12 now :roll: I sincerely doubt that either Te$co or Sainso's school wear depts go up to that size, and I don't suppose that their adult sections would have suitable garb.

As it stands, she will be suspended from lessons until found suitable trousers; I understand that other students are in the same situation.

I am waiting for the head chap to call me *drums fingers*

Well done Plum 8)

Looks like the trouser situation is sorted; spoke to head of upper school and pointed out a few things...

Whilst I am more than happy to support them in smartening up the school uniform, parents will need more than 24 hours notice to get new trousers, especially when the school is changing the rules just 6 weeks after giving the current trousers the OK. I have suggested that (in future) this sort of situation would call for a letter home warning about a change in the rules and giving the parents a week for their children to conform to the new dress code.

Although I would agree to my child being given an internal suspension if she'd been rude, offensive etc, I hardly feel that it is warranted because her trousers haven't been deemed to meet new guidelines about which we've had no notice. Furthermore if she's to be withdrawn from lessons then I'd expect to be notified by a phone call.

Rosie went home and found some pocket money that she'd squirrelled away (I had no cash on me and couldn't get down the road with my card as I was at work) and bought new trousers, which I will reimburse her for when I've drawn out some cash. She has to report for inspection tomorrow at 8.30am!

Please can I have an easier today tomorrow? :roll:

Exactly! They are plain black trousers which taper towards the ankle, they aren't skinnies or drainpipe trousers. The new ruling is that they have to be wide enough to fit over ankle boots, which they are, but the teachers obviously don't think so :roll: the new ones are a bootleg style which was given the OK today in front of the whole school.

They must think we're made of money!

Changing the rules on a whim is :shock: especially as it is leading to suspensions! We wouldn't be allowed to do that in my school, we give half a term's notice if we are to change uniform.

The record is written and controlled by the school and so they can amend it if necessary. To be honest I'd ask (especially if you get the reasonable teacher again) but their school records will count for very little, references from teachers are the thing that matters and I can't imagine an incident like this ever being written about.

:clap: to Rosie for taking the initiative and buying herself a new pair, though a shame that it has had to come to this and caused you both necessary stress today!

Thanks for the advice, she has to report to the head of upper school tomorrow and will ask him about her record; if he kicks up a stink, I shall take it to the board of governors if necessary. Out of interest, I checked the uniform guidelines on the school website; they haven't changed in the last year!

I wouldn't make a fuss for a child that didn't have a clean record but for some it is really important to them to have a clean record. As this is not a suspension relating to poor behaviour or anything that she has actively done wrong I would request that it is wiped. YS is paying off a new guitar with housepoints at the moment 1 HP =£1 off the debt (£50). His English teacher gave him a W2 (warning) by mistake and it went on his record. The rule was any W2s would wipe off all HPs (sounds harsh but it was the rule and the chances of him getting a W2 were remote) - she wiped it off when she heard what was a stake. She felt awful poor thing :lol: