patsylabrador

**Thread of little facts & things**

Happy Birthday! :D

Its SO cold

Single glazed sash windows + no heating on, may aswell sleep outside. Had to get up + put a hoodie on in bed I was that cold + I'm normally too hot.

Sorry about your heating J, think I might get a double duvet for my single bed!

Happy Birthday Ali :D

Our pipes froze in the kitchen so can't use the cold water. Its okay everywhere else though. Time to buy some pipe lagging :roll: Last time they froze was boxing day 2010 when it went down to -10 degrees *brrr*

We haven't had any central heating for 2 years now? I think. Can't afford to get a new boiler :( so have eco heathers around the house. And lots of blankets. When I was growing up we never had central heating. We had one gas fire in the living room, and eventually my dad put a small heater on the landing. Which I would always turn up and he'd always turn down :roll:

Bigger duvets are the way to go Lewis - I have a king sized one on my double bed and that's just for me!

I don't have any heating on at night, nor during the day when I am at work. The room stat at home is set to 19deg which is fine and I just keep the stove going with wood, so the heating is usually off anyway.

:shock: I'll visit you in the summer then DM!

Lewis you need to get some hot water bottles, tie 2 to your feet and snuggle up to another couple. Should keep you warm until the dawn.

When I was young we only had an open fire in the lounge. My bedroom always had pretty feathery frost on the windows, but it was warm underneath blankets and the eiderdown. Mum used to start up the fire and I'd get dressed in front of it when it was roaring away. Eventually they had central heating of sorts but it was still cold in my room. Then we had a loft conversion and that was mine. I froze in the winter - used to wrap my duvet around me and over my head - no heating at all up there - but sweltering in summer. Since I got married and moved out my brother had my room. It wasn't long before heating was installed up there! Pampered brat! :evil:

I've had no central heating or hot water for 3 days now. The boiler conked out the day before yesterday. YS, who is a plumber said 'oh, it looks as if it is due to the *insert instantly forgotten technical term here*. The gas engineer replaced the diverter valve, and 10 minutes after he drove away, it conked out again. I rang Home Care for which we are paying over £500 pa, to be told they'd have an engineer to me on Tuesday. My response was brisk and forthright as you might imagine. He was back within the hour. He then replaced the fan at a cost of £200 (to British Gas) and then the pump, and then the wall thermostat, and still it isn't working. He then had a lengthy talk with an expert from Worcester Boilers, who thinks it might be the * insert instantly forgotten technical term here*. He and the alleged expert are coming back again this morning. He said within the hour when he rang nearly 2 hours ago.

To say I am not best pleased doesn't quite cover it.

Thank goodness we have coal fires in the sitting room and dining room and an electric shower in the downstairs bathroom. : roll:

Happy Birthday Ali :D

We had 2 woodburners in a very draughty old house when I was growing up, the one that did the hot water was lit all the time, and the other one was lit in the afternoons in our small sitting room. I don't think that children today have any concept of what it is like to be permenantly cold. Our moan when we don't have the heating on, but we light the woodburner in the lounge each afternoon, so they know where they need to be to keep warm, although as a teenager I was usually in bed in my freezing room reading rather than spending time with my parents :lol:

Hope those of you with naughty boilers get warmth soon.

Golly, that's bad Egluntyne - it always happens when it's cold too :roll:

Nope, don't have the heating on between 10.30pm and 6am - don't see much point as I'm in bed, but I do have the bedroom window open a crack in all weathers as I like the fresh air. It goes off again at 8.30am when I leave for work and comes on again at 3.30pm just before R gets in from school; I just put a jumper on when I go home for lunch - don't really feel the cold as I don't sit still to get chilled. i do have it on in the day at weekends if it's cold, but the stove is usually going then, so the heating clocks off as it warms up.

We had single glazed windows with leaded panes when i was young, and no heating upstairs - we used to dress in front of the downstairs fire when it was really cold. We had 2 bar fires in the bedrooms but I don't remember them being on much. The house in Norfolk had no heating at all, just a selection of 2 bar fires in various rooms... that was cold!

I can't understand people who have their heating on at night, the only times that we have done was when we had small babies and were up in the night feeding and they would always kick their blankets off and wake up cold. I hate the stuffy dry atmosphere that central heating produces, at least a burning fire or woodburner is constantly pulling in air and causing it to circulate.

For those without heating, do you find you're healthier than 'heated' friends? When we had no heating in our house ( no roof & ice on inside of windows :shock: ) we were healthiest we've ever been.......not sure if the cold or mega garlic ingestion was responsible....could have been that "Ooops, word censored!"ody wanted to be near us as we reeked too much :lol: ....as soon as the heating went on this winter we started colds......coincidence? Our thermostat is set to 18/19' extra jumpers & snuggly dogs are the obligatory warmth providers in our house :wink:

Bigger duvet def the way to go Lewis :wink: ....hotties go cold Val! I remember getting shocked awake by an icy water bottle in the wee smalls :shock: At least a wheat bag doesn't chill down so much......

5.gif Ali :clap: (hope that works :pray: )

I agree - the bottles do go cold, but for the worst bit - getting warm first off - helps to get to sleep - kick them out the bed later.

Let the heating stay on all night last night. At least our kitchen wasn't as bad as it usually is. DD said she slept better too. What OH doesn't know won't hurt him! Usually heating goes off at 9pm and comes on at 6am. We think that's because OH goes to bed and he doesn't care if everyone else shivers! During the day it goes off at 8am and stays off till 8pm - unless I sneak in and press the magic buttons!

Oh dear Eggers, that sounds bad. Hope they turn up to make sure it works pronto after all that messing around.

Hmmm. Methinks dawgies might be toastier than hot water bottles! :wink:

It is a well known fact that if you eat something that you have an allergic reaction to, your family will laugh their heads off at you because you suddenly look like the Elephant Woman. It is also a well known fact that if you go to A & E for a few hours there is nothing exciting happening in there either. Finally it is not a good idea to eat croissants with apricot jam before tender area hasn't quite gone back to normal either - ewwwwwwwwwwwwww sharp tingles up the neck and ear! Perhaps chocolate would be better. :think:

Didn't eat anything unusual - although the sauce was Waitrose own plum sauce - nice but the only thing not tried and tested here before! DD cooked and I swear she put fugu in it!!

Duck in plum sauce in filo pastry with sweet potato, butternut squash, spring onions and pak choi. A fair amount of Chinese 5 spice powder and fried in ground nut oil. I'm not allergic to peanuts - I've used the ground nut oil earlier this week and fairly often when we stir fry. 5 spice is also one I use. I had a bit of difficulty with the filo and felt my ear tingling. Reached up to rub ear, discovered huge swelling on side of neck and jaw - my profile was a bit like a one sided hammerhead shark - but rounded rather than flat. Maybe like a rounded half of Spongebob Squarepants. Cue guffaws of laughter. Followed by guilty DD. Looked on internet, said dial 911. So I didn't and she had to drag me out of the house to take me to hospital instead - said I had to change into nice clothes first (could breathe ok and it wasn't painful). Went up stairs and banged my hands on the half landing - they thought I'd collapsed. My turn to howl laughing. Serves them right for sniggering in the kitchen! So we drive off to the hosp. By this time I was in hysterics and doing what I do best - laugh in the face of death as it said I might get an impending fear of doom which only happened when DD took the bends a bit tight. OH turns in for the night and instructions were not to disturb him unless it was fatal. Nice one!

Waiting in A&E wishing I could have had the rest of my dinner because I was starving. Face starts going down and tingles and numbness start up. Just like dentists injections. Finally get to see doc - yup allergic reaction but to what "Ooops, word censored!"ody knows unless I have tests or elimination process. Duck dins not thrown away - should I test????? Nibble here, wait an hour, nibble there . . . doc said no more dinner. Boo hiss. It was so delicious! Sulking because "Ooops, word censored!"ody else affected! Allowed to go home because I wasn't alone and my breathing was fine. Blood pressure very high though. I said she wasn't in DD's car just a short while ago (well about 3 hours before). Got home around midnight. Taken anti histamine to finish naughty neck off. Apricot jam a little toooo sharp. But salt and shake crisps without the salt are fine! Shame it was the last packet. Feeling ravenous now and eyeing up the ageing chickens thinking I could eat one of those at this very moment!

happy birthday, Ali - and Egluntyne, hope the heating is fixed soon. It's a bit too chilly to have none at all. I have mine on for two hours in the morning, and two more in the evening so it's warm when I get in, and then if I am not going out again (about three nights out of five) I light the woodburner. Last night, before I filled my hottie and got into bed in my lovely fleecy pyjamas, I checked the thermometer - 13 deg in my bedroom, but it felt ok to me! The most annoying thing about the hottie is that the cat homes in like a heat-seeking missile and sits on top of me.

Valkyrie, that sounds scary - just because you have eaten something before, doesn't mean you can't suddenly develop an allergy. My money would be on the five spice or the plum sauce. Did you check the ingredients on the sauce bottle?

Hope you're alright K!

We have central heating but it just takes the chill off, still always cold. Its on until 10 or 11 at night but I'm always awake with 3ish so sit here freezing.

Will put it on in the mornings when I get back from Lambing though 'cos after 12 hours of sitting outside I'll probably shout at anyone who says I can't :lol:

There is never a dull moment in this house. Not content with going missing for two hours on Wednesday, the dog has today managed to rip one of her dew claws off down to the quick, ouch! I took her to the vet to have it looked at and came away with 5 days of antibiotics, 7 days of painkillers and a £50 bill. Just trying to remind myself why I thought it would be a good idea to get a dog?! :lol: (I wouldn't be without her really).