Cinnamon

My eyes have been opened.....

I have worked in a supermarket for over a year now, & have really had my eyes opened by the dishonest things some people will do to try to save themselves money.

Last week a customer paid for a big trolley load of groceries,but realised she had forgotten something,after she had paid. So she parked her trolley behind the checkouts (generally a safe thing to do),& went to get her forgotten item.

In the meantime someone else waltzes off with all her shopping..............just wheels it out of the shop!

We have a couple of people who regularly put on item of veg or fruit into a bag,weigh it on the self weighing bit,get a sticker with a price & bar code on,then fill the bag up with more of the same thing. I caught one myself a couple of weeks ago & told her that I was removing her self scanned stickers,writing the correct price on, & giving them to my manger,as there was obviously a big problem with the self service scales

I also had a woman who peeled the reduced stickers off of one item & put them onto another..........unbeknown to her the item name comes up when we scan them.,& I know that a lamb mousakka for one is very different to a mega pack of lamb chops!

Another regular picks up pre packed bananas in a bag,weighs them on the self weighing thingy, weighs them as loose bananas & puts the sticker over the barcode on the banana bag,as they are much cheaper loose. He then argues with us that he should be allowed to buy them at that price :roll:

A couple of months ago a woman came to the til next to me & bought about 6 items,one of which was a leg of lamb. She paid,left,them walked back in 10 minutes later to the customer service desk saying that she has been charged for a leg of lamb that she had not bought :roll:

At the moment there is an incident like this,or of just 'normal' shoplifting each shift I work.

Are times that hard - are people that desperate,or are they just bolder than they used to be?

:shock: I can't believe the gall of some people! A few weeks ago I realised I'd walked out of the shop with a big pack of loo rolls I'd hung off the hook on the trolley, I was mortified when I realised!

No way could I walk back into a shop and say I'd been wrongly charged for something I knew full well I had bought.

Until fairly recently I worked in an M&S cafe; where we have proper acrylic salt & pepper mills; that is until they go into handbags....& spoons disappear as well! I suggested sachets of salt & pepper but the management nearly died at the suggestion. Well, if they are happy to fork out on 10 mills every month, then they're idiots too!

my step dad is a retired security officer for a well known chain of supermarkets, the stories he tells are shocking :shock: He had to retire early because he couldnt handle the abuse and violance anymore. There has always been a sub group in our society who behave as if the world owes them and the laws that govern the rest of us do not apply.

:shock::shock::shock:

People are horrible sometimes and no doubt the culprits think there's nothing wrong with what they're doing?

(Why doesn't bananaman just buy the loose bananas - there can't be that much difference, surely :anxious: )

No one knows - it is a complete mystery :roll::lol:

We think that maybe he is either just trying to get one up on the company,or is doing it to prove a point *shrug*

Don't get me started on the woman I had last night who ate a sandwich,drank a Red Bull & ate a banana while browsing in the shop.

She gave me the empty packets to scan,but the banana skin......well,they are weighed!

Absolutely NO self control - it would have taken her 5 minutes to pay then leave & eat them in her car :roll:

She also got very stroppy when I refused to put the empties into my bin, as we are not allowed to do this,in case we are thought to have eaten them. Plus they stank!

Don't get me started on the woman I had last night who ate a sandwich,drank a Red Bull & ate a banana while browsing in the shop.

She gave me the empty packets to scan,but the banana skin......well,they are weighed!

:roll: Unbelievable. I know of a case where someone bought a TV and then took it back a few days later for a refund for whatever reason. When the box was opened sometime later they found it contained her old TV :shock:

Sarah, that was such depressing reading. It never ceases to amaze me, the depths some people will plumb to "save a bit of money." It's stealing, plain and simple.

If people are short of money, shop somewhere cheaper or buy cheaper goods. There is absolutely no excuse for any of the examples you gave. All that happens is that it pushes prices up for the rest of us honest folk, or useful services (like the Waitrose self-scanning, which is so much more civilised than the at-checkout-self-scanning offered by other supermarkets) will be withdrawn.

I can feel my blood starting to boil.

I used to work in an aquatics centre (years ago) and sold a small glass fish tank to a lady once. She pootled off and then reappeared about 20 minutes later saying the tank was all broken at one corner and demanded a replacement (I knew it didn't leave the shop like that as we always checked them very carefully). She had a little boy with her who cheerfully piped up "Well Mum, that could be because you dropped it in the car park" :shock:

Funnily enough she disappeared very quickly without the replacement she had previously insisted she should receive! I did feel very sorry for her little boy though, I think he would probably have had a stern talking to when they got home :shock:

Doesn't give you much faith in humanity does it? :(

I help out in a charity shop and stuff regularly goes missing. We cannot put a bag on the model in the window because they always dissappear. The disks dissappearing from DVDs and CD's mean we now have to take them out and keep them sepeately. :evil: I'm sure people also swap the price lables or take them off then bring items to the counter to ask hoping they will get a lower price.

In anothercharity shop along the road we were just going in as someone else was coming out. Turns out he had put a playstation in a bag and was walking out with it. He got hit in the face by the door as someone else put there foot in the way to stop him getting out :) . Unfortunately he squeezed through the gap but someone chased him. They caught him and started leading him back to the shop but he jumped on his bike. Thankfully the woman who chased him grabbed the bag from the basket on the back of his bike as he moved off. :clap: Later someone brought a bunch of keys from where his bike had been - looked like he had dropped them. Serve him right! :twisted:

On a more positive note - we often get people who tell us to keep the change (and not just pennys either) or suggest we should be charging more for an item . Not to mention the people who donate stuff in the first place :D

My sister works on the butcher/deli counter of a well-known supermarket. A regular customer was the owner of a local cafe, he would come in wearing a shirt with the cafe's logo on, and buy large amounts of meat.

One day the manager called her over, looking puzzled - the automatic stock-take showed that they should have plenty of steak in the fridges, but they were nearly empty - had she sold a lot? She remembered that she'd sold £75 worth to this customer earlier that day.

Turns out he was putting the meat in the bottom of the trolley, piling bread and cheaper goods on top, and then pushing the trolley through the check-out ('just 12 loaves and 10 pints of milk, I won't lift them all out') without passing the meat through the till. They caught him next time.

And he was doing this to run his business! :roll:

I nearly had my trolley nicked twice in Tescos as I stood next to it paying. There are a family of gobby daughters about 30-40 yr a mum and dad in a wheelchair. the woman apologsied when i shouted "oy thats my trolley" - but she did it to me twice in one month and i think its a scam. My hairdresser was telling me her trolley nearly got nicked in the same shop - I asked if it was a woman and it was with yes - 2 gobby diaughters and an old bloke in an electric wheelchair.

It's truly shocking how low some people will stoop.

I have seen and reported a couple of things myself as a shopper. One being a man who brought a few cheap goods and then walked around putting more expensive things including several bottles of whiskey into the bag of shopping he had just payed for :shock: The other was somebody using the self scan tills and when things didn't scan properly just putting them in their bag anyway, she claimed when approached by staff that she hadn't realised but i'm sure she had.

One of my friends sons father works as a security chap at a local supermarket and some of the things he has said have happened are awful.

I have worked in a Magistrates' Court for the past 22 years and have come across some awful examples of how low people can go. I also have acquaintances who openly admit to letting radiators bleed onto old carpets to claim the insurance :shock: There is a really dishonest element around. I don't get the mentality and I never will.

However, I am a firm believer (possibly naive!) that the majority of people are honest and decent. It is just that the actions of the minority make more waves!

I worked on customer service desk for T****, for a couple of years and was quite shocked at the front of some people. When challenged they get VERY aggressive and abusive, not just those stealing but bringing back abused or very old items demanding refunds or replacements.

1 particular woman came to me with about 4 or 5 old bras, discoloured, stained around the underarm, wires protruding and wanted refund. When I checked they were discontinued (at least a year earlier was guessed) and when I compared them to a new one they had shrunk as only a bra in a washing machine on a hot wash can.....disgusting. She was really abusive, and I had to ask for security backup!!! She was refused a refund. I can think of many more examples but that one sticks out in my mind.

The point is we all pay for this, the companies factor it into their prices.....

It really is shocking to hear about the behaviour of some people!

I work in a charity shop on Saturdays, and we have one customer who regularly comes to the shop with price stickers already written out for, say, £1 or £2 (always low amounts of money) and peels off the stickers on some of the expensive ornaments/china etc, and replaces them with his own stickers. He used to get away with it because a lot of the staff are very trusting and didnt recognise the make of the ornaments, so didnt notice the huge reduction in price. We now have a photo of him behind the camera, and staff are told to look out for this certain person. It makes me very angry! Our charity shop is a for a local charity that doesnt receive a lot of money, but most people in the area will have/or know someone who has benefited from this charity. :(