Cinnamon

My eyes have been opened.....

Some time ago, I was in M&S where they used to give refunds on almost anything (think they are a bit stricter now) and there was a chap with a pair of totally worn out trousers - scuffs at the bottoms, pockets worn through, everything and he bold as brass wanted a refund saying they didn't fit.

On a slightly different note, I also look at a cosmetics forum (sad, I know) and in the US, it seems that anything can be returned and most people seem to buy a whole stack of eyeshadows/lipsticks etc, try them out at home them take back the ones they don't like even though there are testers available in store. Guess it's another thing the rest of us pay for !

Many many years ago I worked at Childrens World,on the customer service desk & we were open until 9 at night.

One evening,quite late,a group of people came in...4 or so older women,a couple of teens & myriad small children,& we noticed because all the kiddies were in (very scruffy) pyjamas.

They only went into the changing rooms,decked the kiddies out in new outfits & put the PJ's back on top,then tried to leave :roll:

Got VERY nasty when confronted too - spat at the security bloke & my manager,& we had to call the Police in the end :roll:

This will make you all laugh!

A few years ago, working in the aforementioned cafe, I was working the late shift with another colleague. The cafe was empty apart for a grandfather with his grandson. A scruffy girl walked in & asked for a drink of water (tbh she looked like she was on heroin); she sat down at the table next to the grandfather & kid which I thought a bit odd as the whole of the cafe was empty. Later she had disappeared & the grandfather approached me:

Him: Have you seen the M&S bag I left on my table whilst I was chasing after my grandson?

Me: No sir, I haven't cleared your table yet, I'll look around for it.

We search but it is nowhere to be found.

Later we concluded that the scruffy girl had nicked it.

Me: Would you like me to call security sir?

Him: No, no need to worry, It's just that my grandson wet his pants & trousers earlier & I had put them into the bag for safekeeping!

Many many years ago I worked at Childrens World,on the customer service desk & we were open until 9 at night.

One evening,quite late,a group of people came in...4 or so older women,a couple of teens & myriad small children,& we noticed because all the kiddies were in (very scruffy) pyjamas.

They only went into the changing rooms,decked the kiddies out in new outfits & put the PJ's back on top,then tried to leave :roll:

Got VERY nasty when confronted too - spat at the security bloke & my manager,& we had to call the Police in the end :roll:

WE used to get similar stuff in our old sports centre before they built the new one - you'd find families of women and their various children (of both sexes) in the women's changing rooms, washing the kids in the shower, washing clothes in the basins, colouring hair, bleaching top lips, shaving legs etc. The staff used to call the police to deal with it as they were so fed up with the abuse.

WE used to get similar stuff in our old sports centre before they built the new one - you'd find families of women and their various children (of both sexes) in the women's changing rooms, washing the kids in the shower, washing clothes in the basins, colouring hair, bleaching top lips, shaving legs etc. The staff used to call the police to deal with it as they were so fed up with the abuse.

I used to work there many moons ago Clare. Doing the parties, baby bounce, creche and snack bar. Some of the abuse I and other colleagues got was appalling.

I can't believe the gall of some people!

I was in a supermarket once where a man was queuing for some cigarettes his son, who looked about 3-5 years, stole a packet of Starburst from the shelves and they walked out he showed it to his dad who patted him on the back I couldn't believe my eyes! :shock:

My son once took a button from a fabric shop when he was about 3, and proudly showed it to me as we walked down the street. I was furious, but didn't take it back to the shop (mainly as I had my other two with me) but he did get a sound telling off and has never (to my knowledge) stolen anything else.

The worrying thing about all this is that I can believe this all and know that it's actually going on and am not all that surprised. I don't know whether it's worse than it used to be or just different though. It doesn't just happen in chains though either.

I remember Mum telling me that they had to sellotape toothpaste boxes shut at work, as certain people were removing the toothpaste from the boxes, then leaving the boxes on the shelves. When my friend worked in a clothes shop on a late night shopping event a woman came in to the shop and just took an armful of coats and walked right out the store. I also remember overhearing staff in Boots saying that people came in and emptied the No 7 offer bags, (the ones you get free when you spend over a certain amount) and just left the bags, and so they had to go round checking this wasn't going on.

I can't believe the gall of some people!

I was in a supermarket once where a man was queuing for some cigarettes his son, who looked about 3-5 years, stole a packet of Starburst from the shelves and they walked out he showed it to his dad who patted him on the back I couldn't believe my eyes! :shock:

My son once took a button from a fabric shop when he was about 3, and proudly showed it to me as we walked down the street. I was furious, but didn't take it back to the shop (mainly as I had my other two with me) but he did get a sound telling off and has never (to my knowledge) stolen anything else.

My youngest, 5 at the time, stole a lego piece fom school. I spotted him surreptitiously showing his brother his swag. I marched him back in and made him own up to his teacher who gave him a sound telling off but thanked him for owning up. He was mortified, but hopefully lesson learnt! :evil:

My youngeat daughter stole a broadbean seed from a selection of loose seeds in our local garden centre when she was about 3, we explained that it was wrong and made her put it back and she still remembers it now, so hopefully she will never do it again.

I am shocked at the scale of theft going on, but not overly surprised.Do these people not realise that they are increasing the cost of goods and insurance premiums for everyone including themselves if they ever buy anything legitimately. :x

I too am pretty shocked by what I have read here today. I do have a confession though in that I have on occasion opened an item of food instore and then given the packet to the checkout operator to scan - never a banana skin though and in the days of doing the big shop with two small kids in tow. :oops: These days I do my big shops online so it never happens - unless I go to the kitchen cupboard!

ES is currently working in D......., large sportsware shop in Sheffield - beware Egluntyne!! He has come home with terrible tales of what they have to deal with on a daily basis in terms of shoplifters and the police unwilling to prosecute? He said that his life would become so much easier once the schools went back this week!!

The worrying thing about all this is that I can believe this all and know that it's actually going on and am not all that surprised. I don't know whether it's worse than it used to be or just different though. It doesn't just happen in chains though either.

I remember Mum telling me that they had to sellotape toothpaste boxes shut at work, as certain people were removing the toothpaste from the boxes, then leaving the boxes on the shelves.

My friend bought worming tablets for her dog at the pet shop and when she got the box home she found it was empty. Someone had obviously stolen the contents! When she went back to the shop to tell them she felt that the staff did not believe that someone would have stolen worming tablets....but it was true.

On a slightly lighter note my hubby used to work in Debenhams and a customer asked for a refund on some trainers

My hubby asked where the trainers were

The customer looked him straight in the face and said airly 'oh, I forgot them'

But they still wanted the refund!

:lol::lol::lol: You're right, you have to laugh at that!

My Mum used to work on the Clinique counter in Boots and she said they had traveller women come in on a Friday and Saturday evening, put on a full face of make up and leave! They used the testers but took out the disposable mascara wands and stuck their little fingers in the lipsticks to slather it on :shock: Security were told and started lurking around the counter at closing time on those days, they moved onto Superdrug after a few times!

I agree. There are some awful people about but thankfully most of us must be honest. I volunteer one day a week in our local Hospice Shop and we have a lot of theft and have to keep DVDs near the till, more expensive items in a closed display case and generally watch what customers are doing. The number of empty boxes, packets and coat hangers is shocking despite the sign. I just hope these thieves feel remorse if they ever have to use the Hospice services.

It is also unfair to the kind people who donate the goods for sale.

The majority of customers are lovely and often pay more than the price of an item.

Someone said to me once that petty thieving has just replaced the poaching of the old days. Unfortunately my response is not suitable for this forum!

How about this one. My aunty use to volunteer in a local charity shop - there were a number of examples of people trying things on and stealing them in the changing rooms. The also had a colour coded sticker system - this tolda you how long something had been on the shelves and reductions were made after a month. One person tried on an item that had only come in that morning and whilst in the changing room changed 'reduced' the tag to half price!!

I know a manager of a lovcal supermarket where they stopped selling lipsticks - apparently more value got stolen than paid for!

Tracy