Goosey Lucy

Sad Day - Again

I'm very sorry that you have had to make this sad decision, I'm sure you will miss your girls terribly. At least you know they are in a lovely, safe new home and you were very lucky to find somewhere so nice for them.

I do hope that you will be able to get some new chickens in due course.

Here I was, feeling sorry for myself at having to let my accidental cockerel go for rehoming.....

I am so sorry to hear about your situation, Lucy. What an awful thing to have happened - twice! :shock:

I would advise you to consider long and hard to see if there is some way that would allow you to have hens again, in a safe run. I lost a hen to a fox 4 years ago and quickly went out and bought myself the wood and thick gauge weld mesh to make myself a massive WIR. My girls still have loads of room to run and play, but without risk.

I really feel for you. :( *hugs*

This is one of the worst backyard chook losses I've heard about; I'm so sorry :( . I think Redwing and others have given you a lot of sound advice; but I can completely understand you rehoming your last 3 girls for their sakes. I'm sure that having a few months off will help you sort out your true feelings about keeping chickens; you may be able to face it all again when the Spring sun comes along. In the meantime, once again, I am very sorry; its horrible news.

So sorry to hear about your latest loss. Im also very sorry that you have decided to rehome your remaining girls, although I can understand why you have chosen to do so.

It might be worthwhile letting the dog out under supervision so you can see where he is getting in, even if you have no plans to get new girls yet. Now is the time to find the weaknesses, so that your neighbours and you can work at stopping him getting in.

Fencing off an area for the Girls, with electric fencing, would also be a good idea (as would electrocuting the dog - but I don't really mean that. )

I do hope you don't give up completely. Hens become such a big part of our lives, it would be a shame to deprive yourself.

Thank you for all your kind words and thoughts.

OH and I will look through your ideas and consider them carefully. I know it is right to rehome my remaining girls as they have free-ranged all of their lives and even if we did keep them in a run I think the dog would still try to get at them and that thought upsets me.

I am going to take some time to review our current arrangements and see what can be done. I haven't seen the neighbours since I returned their dog yesterday, I don't know what to say to them, I am so very cross.

We thought we had found how the dog got in, I was assured it was from the front, that it was impossible through the back. This clearly isn't true. I had the dog round while my girls were in their runs and watched what he did, where he went.

Thank you again for your support.

This is just heart breaking.

Whilst I would usually run a mile to avoid confrontation I think I would be tempted to seek an assurance that if you do re stock in the future, that your neighbours fence the boundary between your propertieswith adequate dog proof fencing. I don't want to labour the point but it must be one of the rules of responsible dog ownership that your dog is always under your control. It simply isn't acceptable that a dog can cause this heartbreak, without taking measures to ensure that it will never recur.

I am so sorry this has happened to you. Alli x

This is just heart breaking.

Whilst I would usually run a mile to avoid confrontation I think I would be tempted to seek an assurance that if you do re stock in the future, that your neighbours fence the boundary between your propertieswith adequate dog proof fencing. I don't want to labour the point but it must be one of the rules of responsible dog ownership that your dog is always under your control. It simply isn't acceptable that a dog can cause this heartbreak, without taking measures to ensure that it will never recur.

I am so sorry this has happened to you. Alli x

What if it were a child or baby in your garden, what would your neighbour do then ?

Have only just caught up with your news and I am really sorry about what has happened to you and your girls.

Sending hugs xxxxx

Either OH or I will be speaking with the neighbours to ensure that the dog can never get into our garden again regardless of whether we have chickens in the future. The concerns everyone has raised are what we have thought about also.

They have told me that the dog is safe to be left with children and has been since their grandchildren were born. I think this is unwise to say the least. I would also say that having seen the dog and one owner together, the dog is not under control. I believe an animal should be trained to respond to basic commands and this one isn't.

I can't believe that for the first time in over 4 years I haven't got any hens to look after. It hit my eldest this evening when he asked if he could give his apple core to the girls then realised they weren't there anymore :( I didn't know what to do with the leftover veg.

In addition to the stress you have suffered, something that really shocks me is that you say after the second incident, it was you that returned the dog to your neighbours. As I mentioned before, my dog has got out before (thankfully no harm done) but after building the second line of fencing he was watched like a hawk when he was out in the garden. Obviously it was a very short period of time between the two times that your neighbour's dog got into the garden, I'm surprised and saddened that they weren't more vigilant :(

From a dog behaviour point of view though, predatory behaviour towards small furries is not at all uncommon sadly. Aggression towards other dogs is again not that uncommon but aggression towards humans is very, very rare. The result of what the dog has done is tragic and I would be devastated if it had been my girls attacked or my dog that had done that. However, it is unlikely that a dog that would attack a chicken would attack a child. I am not saying it doesn't happen, it does and sadly all too often but predatory aggression does not automatically progress to human aggression. Predatory behaviour towards small animals is a natural drive in some breeds whereas aggression towards people isn't. Of course for a child in your garden to have to witness such a thing would be dreadful. Hard enough for an adult, let alone a child :(

I'm glad that you haven't ruled out getting more hens in the future, I hope you manage to find a solution to the problem. Have you heard how your girls are settling in?

Lucy - I am so, so sorry to read this. How devastating for you and your family. I would be so angry with my neighbours that they had allowed their dog to get through again. I don't blame you for rehoming your last 3, I think I would be too panic stricken at the thought of it happening again.

I hope your neighbours take account of the heartache and stress that this has put you all through and do something to stop their dog from getting into your garden and it sounds like he needs to be trained too. I would be so upset if it was my dog.

I hope you do manage to have some more chickens in the future.

Hello, i just wanted to say how sorry i am for the loss of your poor girls and the fact you have had to rehome the others. When i read your posts i found my blood boiling in anger towards your neighbours! I am disgusted that they havent taken measures to make sure this dog doesnt get in your garden again!! What on earth is wrong with them? :evil: I own two dogs and if either of them had killed anyones animals i wouldnt let them out of my house without a lead on. I am in total disbelief and once again so sorry for you. If it were me i would report them, lets face it if the dog had attacked a farmers stock the farmer would be within his rights to destroy the animal surely. I do hope you manage to keep hens again in the future, sending big hugs. :(

I'm so sorry to hear about your gruesome discovery.I was upset enough to lose one hen a month back but to lose 6 in one go must have been awful.my thoughts are with you.I hope youfind the weak spot in the fence so that this can not happen again.it would definitely be worthwhile going round to view it from the neighbour's side also. This has inspired me to go out and reinforce the old fence between us and neighbours with two very bored dogs(they don't get taken for walks..ever). I hope the rest of your girls will be safe in the future.

Once again, thank you everyone for your support.

The only consolation I have is that my sons didn't witness what happened. I haven't seen the neighbours since I returned their dog. I can only assume that they don't know how to face me. When I do speak with them I will be asking to look at the fence from their side. I think they may be waiting for my wonderful OH to come home as he is away with work at the moment.

My remaining girls are happy in their new home and I am no longer on tenterhooks. OH wants the dog to be muzzled or at least kept on a lead when it is in the garden but I don't think this is practical or fair to the dog.

I do want to keep hens again but need to be confident that any new girls will be totally safe. OH is very supportive and says he will do whatever I need him to to give any new girls a safe home.

The garden looks (and sounds) very empty now :(