Sammiboo

Omleteers Fit for 2012

Thanks for that but I have been cutting the carbs for some months now just having carby stuff one meal a day - b'fast or lunch :? ! I did try jogging (real jogging down the road much to the amusement of the neighbours :lol: ) some months ago and the hip played up then - I though step would be different :evil: ! Damn thing is sooooo annoying - have decided to persevere with 10 mins every other evening and see how it goes for a week. Just old before my time at 47 :roll: !

Don't think I can face the Dr - would feel such a wuss :boohoo: Still, its inspiring reading lots of the other posts here! 8)

If you want to elevate heart rate and work up a sweat whilst resting your hip, do punches. 1, 2, 1, 2, you'll soon get sweating and it's a great form of cardio if you need to give your lower body a rest. Jillian Michaels incorporates it into her dvd too, so it's legit ;) haha.

Thanks for that but I have been cutting the carbs for some months now just having carby stuff one meal a day - b'fast or lunch :? ! I did try jogging (real jogging down the road much to the amusement of the neighbours :lol: ) some months ago and the hip played up then - I though step would be different :evil: ! Damn thing is sooooo annoying - have decided to persevere with 10 mins every other evening and see how it goes for a week. Just old before my time at 47 :roll: !

Don't think I can face the Dr - would feel such a wuss :boohoo: Still, its inspiring reading lots of the other posts here! 8)

s0apdrag0n I'm a similar weight, height and age and also can do damage to myself at the drop of a hat. I have trouble with my knees instead though. I just do less of the exercises that I know are going to be heavy on my knees. Its a shame as my thighs are one of my not so good bits. I'm going to do some floor exercises for those though. I think its a good idea to just take it steady.

I had a couple of walks yesterday and had planned on doing some Just Dance but didn't do it in the end :roll: We all have good and bad days. Hopefully I'll gee myself up and get on and do the JD or Fit Plus today. :D

Has/does anyone use a rowing machine :think: ? I have found one for £20.00 on the local Oxford website thing and thought that might fit the bill so anyone elses experiences would be helpful before parting with the dough!! Mind you, where we'll put it when I'm not off up the Thames I don't know - might make an interesting coffee table 8):lol: !

This is a great thread - everyone seems so positive (well, apart from me!) and supportive; thanks!!! :clap:

I liked the rowing machine until I hurt my shoulder,it was good for arms, legs and tum. I think the secret is not to rush at activities as we may have been able to as 'young things' :lol: And always to do stretches. I notice all the older instructors at the gym spend a lot more time doing that than the younger girls who crank up the speed straight away and don't bother much about it. I think the problem is we are all enthusiastically trying to burn those calories but we have to protect our old muscles and joints :lol: I played badminton this morning so got a bit of running about done then :D

Rowing machines are great for CV fitness as they work loads of muscles groups, it is low impact though so is OK for dodgy joints, just make sure that you are doing it properly by starting with extending the legs before using your arms.

Orbital trainers and cross trainers are great for this too. I mainly use a cross trainer now as the cartilage in both knees is very worn and fragmented.

To protect your knees, make sure that all your weight is in your heels as you squat, don't let your knees go over your toes and sit down with your bum stuck out as if you're sitting in a chair. Keep your chin up and chest out - sounds uncomfortable and you will save your knees if you do it like that.

Go down slowly until your thighs are as near to 90deg as you can get them, hold there for 5 seconds before coming back up slowly.

Alternate lunges are very similar and probably even better for your thighs and bottom, you can also step forward onto a step/stair when you lunge for extra impact but bear in mind when lunging that the back knee goes down but the front knee doesn't go forward.

I agree with dogmother check with the doc if it persists. Have you thought of yoga - either a class or wii - and/or swimming? Far less stress on the body but both great for fitness and weight. I so relate fo feeling 110 years old. I would like to join - i need to find my stomach musscles. I know they are there, I could not find them at all last year but I have been working really hard and now if I suck in my stomach it moves! I want some mucle definiton by next christmas. I go to a weekly yoga class, swim, one session of the hated gym i will do it - but I will need help.

I am definitely considering swimming. Just before my holiday last year I fell over onto my knees and reignited the pain. I spent a lot of the holiday playing and swimming with YS in the pool. My knees felt so much better by the end of the holiday. I do hate getting into my swimsuit though :roll:

Last night I had a session in the pool.....but in a kayak! I don't mind doing that as you wear a swimsuit, rash vest and board shorts for all the ungainly exits from the kayak. :lol:

Cranberry, core muscle exercises are a good place to start - try locating your pelvic floor muscles and holding them tight for a count of 10 every now and then - this is easily done when standing in the kitchen or sitting at a desk, it will help your posture too. Good, positive posture is half the battle, especially when doing exercises.

45 minute session in the gym last night while Rosie did her lifeguard training. Slightly spoiled by the tuna and cheese panini I had in the cafe there afterwards :roll::oops:

What is everyone's aim - do you want to lose a certain amount of weight, lose inches, fit into a particular pair of jeans or just be trimmer? Mine is for my brown work trousers (currently far too snug) to fit comfortably without tummy over-hang.

I think if I went down to the weight that I'm supposed to be that I would be too skinny. BC (before children) I was about 8 stone and that would be way too skinny for me now. I think if I can get to about 10 stone I'll be ok, its only about 7 lbs away but I need to tone rather than just lose the weight. Its more inches, banishing the dreaded cellulite that I'm after and probably the most important thing to be healthy. :D

My Main goal is to feel fitter, and to reduce my girth. I don't have a bad body shape overall, but I carry a lot of my weight on my stomach, which is the worst place to have it health wise. I have a waist at the sides but come out too much at the front, even when I was skinny and young I had a rounded stomach, so it will never be a washboard, but it needs plenty of improvement.

I walked to the hairdressers today, about a mile and a half and then afterwards out to our local Waitrose with my OH in his lunchhour, probably another mile and a half, then I got the bus home, enough is as good as a feast :wink:

I put on a lot of weight about 10 years ago when my parents divorced - my dad, bless him, didn't really know how to cook, and worked long shifts to pay for our childcare, so we ate frozen processed food and ready meals a lot. That's when I became very overweight, but I got obese when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I just looked in the mirror last month and found myself audibly sighing at what was in front of me - that's not right! got to do something about that! I'm going to lose >100lbs and be within my healthy BMI range for the first time I can ever remember.

And so far it's going swimmingly :)

Thank goodness for this thread. Did exercise properly for the first time in two weeks. It feels so good to do so I don't understand why I slack off. I want to keep fit and avoid my boobs turning into one of those middle-aged shelving units. I'm pleased with my biceps & triceps and after I mashed my knee in the summer the physio said I have strong ligaments in my legs. That makes it worth sticking at for me.

Patsylabrador, I agree! This thread is like a big hug and a kick up the b*m all in one - in the nicest, most supportive sort of way! :)

Wii Fit told me last night that I had put on 3lb in a week (I HONESTLY don't know why unless very early PMT :whistle: !) and that my Wii Fit age was 63 (I am 47) so there is clearly WORK TO BE DONE :oops: !

Just off to Oxford to collect the rowing machine - just need to resist temptation to grab something munchy doing the big shop in Tesco on the way back! :shameonu:

What is everyone's aim - do you want to lose a certain amount of weight, lose inches, fit into a particular pair of jeans or just be trimmer? Mine is for my brown work trousers (currently far too snug) to fit comfortably without tummy over-hang.

My aim when I started my weight loss (Apr 2010) was to reduce my high cholesteral which was 7.8

(now 4.9).

My aim now is to continue to maintain my Weight Watchers "Target weight/Gold Membership" which I reached in Oct 2010.

Quite impressed how little my legs ache today, although it does seem to have set off the joint in my left toe again. I wish I knew what that was and how to manage it, although at least my plantar fascitis has settled down for the moment.

I am about to start many hours extreme ironing, only the odd item has been done since before Christmas and I have clothes spilling out of baskets all over the place, wish me luck. :roll: