counturchickens

Snow 2013

Heavy snow here, bin men have just arrived I didn't think they would make it but I suppose they have a very heavy lorry which helps getting through the snow. OH school closed but the kids is open, they were mightily unimpressed when he walked them to school!

It's the first time my new chickens have seen snow, they were not happy. Lots of clucking and worrying, they refused to come out the coop but I desperately need to clean it so I put them under the bushes where they are sheltered with their food and water whilst I did a quick clean out. I will probably have to go and lift them back into the coop as their path back to the run/coop is covered in about 8 inches of snow and they are very confused by it all. One of them was pecking away at the snow as if it was food, there's a lot of it for her to eat!

No more snow overnight but it started this morning and is now going like mad and the wind is up too. Temp has dropped 2deg since first thing and is now -1.4deg. R's school is open and she went in, but it was hardly snowing then; I guess that it will partially close at lunchtime, but some years need to stay as they have exams.

Was she properly dressed when she left?... what do you think?! :roll:

Colleague tells me that Te$co and Morrisons both have bare shelves and there was car park and trolley rage at Te$co... what are folks like? It will all go off before they can eat it! :roll:

A good four or five inches here in the Cotswolds. I had a meeting planned at work for this afternoon, but all due to attend were delighted at my suggestion that we rearrange due to the weather, so I'm now working at home for today.

I popped to Tesco yesterday, the car park was heaving (like it was Christmas Eve) with people "stocking up" - Thursday is my normal shopping day and I only bought what I would have bought anyway, but lots of people were panic buying - like DM says, it will all have gone off before they can eat it!!!

I popped into Waitrose yesterday and people were buying red wine and whiskey and the shelves were stocked. :lol:

Stiff upper lip and all that :wink:

I've got some dog meat and bones on order from the butchers, to collect tomorrow... dunno if I'll be able to get there though :roll: I still have enough left for 3 or 4 days and I can walk into town and get them some cheap mince if necessary. Otherwise am fine.

:D OH - home from LA and sleeping, while outside it is snowing heavily now in Macclesfield, light snow through night only amounted to a dusting, so boys off to school and I am preparing for next weeks lessons.

The swim gala will go ahead if pool accessible (gritters have been round) but already boys have had texts from lads further afield thinking of pulling out

Heavy snow since daybreak, still heavy, and horizontal from the East...we have at least 5 inches....this is unheard of so close to the south coast :shock:

630 I was sent email & text from DD's school...closed, please collect if possible as forecast snow will render our drives impassable....715 DD rang "mummy, school is closed!"..... Yes darling, we have the start of a blizzard!....fortunately, my BIL is coming down to us, ready for his birthday party tomorrow, from near the kidlings schools and is being a taxi for us :clap:

Glad I did a snatch & grab shop last night, best I get the slow cooker on & go back out to check on the chookles, who are less than impressed at the white stuff, the dogs however are delighted.....until they get cold, then less so :roll::lol:

Stay warm everyone! X

I surprised the girls this morning by getting them out of bed at 7:45 to clean out there coop before the snow arrives. I couldn't believe they were all still snoring on their perches at that time, I'm at work by then Mon - Thu, lazy lumps!!!!!

Although I did find my first egg since Nov :clap::clap: , so I don't mind to much them being slothful.

It was very cold and the odd flake falling, it certainly feels wintery with all the lying snow, it is forecast for late morning, fingers crossed my on line shopping comes before the snow!

After a wet and windy evening, we had 2 or 3 centimetres overnight and it's just started coming down again :)

I can't see the tors so I think there may be a fair bit up on the moor.

It feels bitterly cold but we're meant to get another band of rain later... it's not going to last.

The ground had dried out a bit yesterday, but it feels very squelchy again under the snow :roll:

Just about half an inch at 7am but the proper snow started around 9am and we have over 4" now - it's still snowing.

Grandson has to catch the school bus at 7.30 and his school was still open so (after a long fight apparently!) he went - then the school announced at 9am that it would close at 1pm.......then announced it would close at 11.30 :roll: Apart from the first quarter mile from their house, none of the route is main roads, all country lanes and the school buses were cancelled so his Dad had to go and fetch him. Grand-daughter is quite miffed that her internet school can't be snowed off :lol:

Postman has just called here but walked up from the main road - he says he can't get to the small villages around us and was only delivering to houses along the main road.

Sheep food, dog food and hen food all in stock, logs stacked in the porch and covered with tarp so bread baking to keep the house warm. Our boiler died yesterday morning and despite lots of messages left for the plumber we didn't hear from him until 6pm to say he would call in on his way home. By 7.30 it was all working again. We only keep it on the lowest setting to keep the floors slightly warm but it's surpising how quickly the heat goes from them.

Oh my god!!! We've got anything from 3 inches up to over a foot deep here. It is mega windy & the snow is blowing down from the Cambrian Mountains, which start behind our house. Wow - this is like snow I remember when I was a little girl! :shock:

Had to bring one chicken in the chicken. She'd decided to lay an egg in an out house where they snow had drifted. Good job we just found her - as she was covered in snow & shivering. Poor love!

Piggies didn't bother at all - straight to their food skip! The sheep are being taken more hay in a min.

FIre been lit since we got up. Cozy!

The local sledgers have walked through our land to go up the mountains. Nuts!!! As much as I want to build a snowman & sledge. I think I'll wait until the wind drops.

Stay safe & warm!

Emma.x

Eek! It's been snowing lightly but constantly in central London since about 9.00 am - the streets are clear, but the building site next to my office is completely covered now.

I'm not likely to get snowed in (or out!) where I live, but there is always the possibility that the Tube will stop running, as it's overground where I live, not underground.

DS DD and her boyfriend have to get to Gatwick Airport tonight to catch a flight at 6am for a Snow Boarding holiday in Austria.

Im keeping in communication with First Capital Connect to make sure there isn't any disruption on the St Albans to Gatwick run, and so far they are running to schedule, and im also concerned about the 15 minute drive to the train station as we have about 3" of snow

Im hoping and praying their flight isn't too delayed :anxious: they are all so excited about their holiday!