counturchickens

Snow 2013

Certainly no gritters out this way. The village is in a valley all of the hills are steep, none have grit on them, the one near our house is a 1 in 9 and is completely covered over, so until that is clear we are stuck! I was surprised how deep it is when I went for a dog walk, so pretty, I shall take my camera out tomorrow :D .

I decided, last evening, NOT to make up two packed lunches for ES at school and YS at nursery as, clearly, we were going to be snowed in. Got up this morning and NO SNOW! Eeek -two lunches quickly made. Started sort of snowing as we left home - 8.30am - and carried on. Bimbled into Tesco Cowley after dropoff to pick up all the things OH 'forgot' last night at Sainsburys (despite me e-mailing him a list!)

Then got a call from OH (working at home rather than trog off to office in deepest Cotswolds) saying ES school closing at 12.00. Killed some time in very small M&S near Tesco and then set off in raging blizzard to collect ES then to nursery for YS.

Boys ended up eating the packed lunches that I had not made the previous evening as I thought they would be at home, at the kitchen table (if that makes sense!) :doh:

Now snow is about 4/5 in deep (sorry can't do centipedes; I'm far to old for metric) and just floating down sp"Ooops, word censored!"ly. No more forecast for tomorrow or Sunday so keeping fingers crossed for normality on Monday! :whistle:

hope the snow boarders get off ok :D

Thankyou ... They have forgotten about taking the train now, as there is one broken down at Blackfriars and its causing havoc, so they have now booked a cab which is turning up at 1.30am (more than twice the price though unfortunately) The cab company said they have been driving up and down the M25 all day and there hasn't been any problems. Theres been no more significant snow, so its looking promising!

ED had a great time at uni in Bristol with friends on the downs this morning, they had been told by the cleaner in their halls earlier n the week that it never snows there, so they were all like excited kids today. Although one lad from another halls was taken to hospital after suffering a head injury from crashing into a building at the bottom of a slope down which he was sledging on a tray. :( I hope that he is ok.

Ahhh! Happy memories - I wouldn't say that it never snows in Bristol, but it is rare enough that I can probably remember all the times (lived there 1989-2002) when we had significant snow. That would be Jan/Feb 1991 (flathunting), Dec 1995 (just married), Jan 1997 (missed a friend's wedding) and Jan/Feb 2000 (living on a boat) I think! I hope the sledger is OK.

Very insignificant occasional light flurries here. Temperature must be above freezing (haven't checked) as it is thawing. The snow has visibly shrunk since yesterday. Went down to the local shop this morning to get milk, only 5 bottles left in the place so no deliveries yesterday, and noticed icicles on lampposts and street signs.

I've just had my exercise for the day, clearing snow off the top of the chicken run, as the roof was bending! Had to get a step ladder out and use a long broom but at least 2/3 of the snow is off. Chickens a little happier, but not much :lol:

OH has just informed me that even though the supporters coach is cancelled for the rugby match tomorrow in Llanelli, he and a few friends are going to drive over :shock:

It snowed again yesterday evening, so we woke up this morning to about 3-4" on the ground. The roads are clear, so we were able to get out into town this morning and out in the car for a decent walk with the dog this afternoon. The chooks have been doing a lot of standing around on one leg and lifting their feet very high when they walk which is quite entertaining :lol:

I had planned to go riding this morning, but it's not safe to take the horses out in the snow (slippy roads and can't see what's underfoot off-road) so that will have to wait for another time.

We have the glassy pavements too. Mum is blaming it on the parents who were pulling their children out and about on sledges :roll:

OH set off to pick up a few friends en route to Llanelli at 7.15 this morning :shock: Kick off is 3pm. I have been informed they have made it to the motorway, and all roads so far have been clear.

It is now snowing again in Brum, light dusting already on my car, which I cleared yesterday.

Fine. light snow on top of the icy stuff we had anyway. Nasty out there :roll:

The chickens are getting a very quick clean now and then Rosie and I will clear some of the snow and ice from our front garden and the footpath outside. The road is like a skid pan, so we'll take the wheelbarrow to the grit bin at the bottom of the hill and spread some if we can manage it.

I think a bit of poo in the Eglu helps to keep it warm! :lol: Afraid my hens are not getting cleaned out today - I genuinely didn't expect any more snow here, but it's been going for about 7 hours now and shows no sign of stopping, tracks from this morning when I went up to feed the hens are completely covered up.