counturchickens

Snow 2013

Hi. We have six inches of snow, top layer powder, been falling all day, still falling. Schools are shut, no idea why, bus routes have been open all day.

I love extreme weather, and live on the side of a hill so it'll all drain into the beck at the bottom when it thaws.

I use Piers Corbyn forecasts, he's an astrophysicist, and uses sun spot and lunar info to predict the SSW that was mentioned at the weekend on one BBC forecast, and he's more accurate than the met office for long forecasts - in early Nov said that Mid Dec would be mild and the Beeb said 'the beast from the east' was coming and I was planting fruit trees in the mild spell that I ordered in early Nov.

Accurate forecasts more than three days ahead are difficult anyway but he and Joe "Ooops, word censored!"i over in the US do a lot better than the MO.

HM x (used to be, now CI but am Happymama everywhere anyway)

Well, OH finally arrived home at 10pm last night, after spending 2 hours driving around Brum dropping friends off. It was one big skid pan :shock: Woke up this morning to the realisation that there was at least another 4 to 5 inches on top of the thawing snow we had on Friday. Lovely, not! Awoke to the sound of spinning tyres at 6am, a rear wheel drive vehicle in the road was having trouble getting anywhere. Neighbour came out at 6.30 with a shovel to dig her car out, and left for work at about 8am :shock:

I cheated and went off on the train, and got to work in good time, thankfully! Train journey coming home in twilight was beautiful as the train runs alongside the canal, and it was magical, all covered in snow 8) Not sure why all schools in Brum appeared to be shut though, we only had half the staff in because of it :?

Sorry to all of you who hate snow but YEAH we had a decent amount of snow today and I was able to christen my purple Rubber Duck snow boots I bought cheap in May 2011 :dance::dance: Kept my feet lkovely and warm and dry on my walk to and from work :)

It doesn't any get better than purple :lol:

I know :lol: Had my purple fleece on as well and also my golf winter hat which is purple though I didn't wear that inside work :lol:

Just woken up to fresh snow, not a huge amount but enough, I was not expecting that as I was woken at some point in the night to heavy rain ??? well it can have been that heavy .... they have forecast more for us later today but the weather lady was a bit evasive leaving me to worry do I take DD to piano lesson when im likely to get a call to collect YS from nursery, having said that I have about 30 mins to wait to hear if we get a txt from school re closure etc

We had freezing fog here this morning to go with the snow that had started melting yesterday only to turn to ice overnight. Snow starting to melt again, although no doubt will ice up again overnight.

YS's secondary school was virtually the only school open in our area yesterday, only for most of the pupils not to turn up and then he spent the rest of the day watching dvds and playing games. What really is the point in being open if you're not going to teach the pupils that do bother turning up? :roll::wall: He could have done all of that at home!

Keep getting text updates from a friend 10 miles away in Wiltshire. :lol::lol:

The snow has just started here again, went out to see to the hens and it was a blizzard. Failing thick and fast now and the 'report' is saying it will stay like this for another 36 hours! :shock::D

Glad I am off work until the 30th....it is chaos at Heathrow!

I am in Wiltshire and we had quite a blizzard about an hour ago, which was starting to pitch, but it seems to have slowed now. Took the dog for a walk in the park, just in case we we snowed in again (I didn't take her out over the weekend for fear of slipping or being pulled over) and it was freezing!

No snow here today. Woke to find a light dusting everywhere and yesterdays part thaw is now solid lumpy ice. Nearly fell over a couple of times in my haste to get to the train :lol::oops:

We had a blast of sunshine followed by thick fog, so the freeze begins again :roll: More snow forecast for here tomorrow early morning so looks like I'm on the train again. Took a soft broom to the car when I got home, so it will hopefully be ready to go when I can dig the tyres free or when it thaws :?

Lovely journey home on the train again, it looks like Brum is covered in thick foam :lol: